Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sponsored by : Autohaus AZ
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 258
anyone smell gas fumes inside the car?

Does anyone smell gas fumes inside the car after a fill up? This problems seems to be getting worst and my wife will not fill the tank over 3/4 car anymore because of this.

Thanks.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

health services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
konigstiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 5,939
Drives: '71 Pinto
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/e-clas...-04-320-a.html
__________________

konigstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigstiger View Post

Wow, my search did not find that! Thanks
health services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Tom T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 73
Drives: 04 e320
Quote:
Originally Posted by health services View Post
Does anyone smell gas fumes inside the car after a fill up? This problems seems to be getting worst and my wife will not fill the tank over 3/4 car anymore because of this.

Thanks.
I just replaced my fuel filter yesterday. I noticed that there is some fuel leak on top of the fuel filter side through the gasket. I did get the gas smell sometime after fill up. If you have the back seat fold down option, just lift them up. There are 2 covers under the carpet each side of the rear seats.
__________________
04 E
Tom T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
I just replaced my fuel filter yesterday. I noticed that there is some fuel leak on top of the fuel filter side through the gasket. I did get the gas smell sometime after fill up. If you have the back seat fold down option, just lift them up. There are 2 covers under the carpet each side of the rear seats.
I have a fixed back seat, how do I remove the seat bottom?

Thanks
health services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
konigstiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 5,939
Drives: '71 Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by health services View Post
I have a fixed back seat, how do I remove the seat bottom? Thanks
Press locking mechanisms located on both sides and pull seat upwards. Check your email.
Attached Thumbnails
anyone smell gas fumes inside the car?-clipboard.jpg  
__________________

konigstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigstiger View Post
Press locking mechanisms located on both sides and pull seat upwards. Check your email.
Thanks, I'll try it later when my wife gets back.
health services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 258
ok so I pulled it off thanks for the help konigstiger.

It looks like the seal is leaking that holds the pump in place. Either that or when the last person who removed it did not replace the seal correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
anyone smell gas fumes inside the car?-dsc06195-copy.jpg  
health services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
220S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,338
Drives: Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
You don't say what year or model you have (I wish people would list their car with their avatar ), but the 'leaking fuel sender issue' is not uncommon on early to mid W211s.

Do a search on the W211 AMG forums and you'll get detailed information that should prove very helpful. There's a lot of good info (with photos) and you'll know what to do once you read it. It's not a "seal" issue, but a defective design.
220S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 258
I have a e500 2005, looking at the complain page of NTSA I see only one complaint. Called a "friend" at the dealer, and instantly he told me where to look for my issue on my car.

I'll see if I can replace the seal to see if that will help. I don't have the money to replace a tank assembly right now.
health services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
220S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,338
Drives: Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by health services View Post
I have a e500 2005, looking at the complain page of NTSA I see only one complaint. Called a "friend" at the dealer, and instantly he told me where to look for my issue on my car.

I'll see if I can replace the seal to see if that will help. I don't have the money to replace a tank assembly right now.
Are you the original owner? Did you get a recall notice?

If not, then go to your dealer and get a VMI printout and see if the recall repair was ever done. You may still qualify if it wasn't (or at least get some goodwill.) If it was a CPO'd car you may still be covered.

I've attached the recall notice. Did you check the big thread on the AMG forum? The leak comes primarily from a hairline crack in the plastic cap of the sending unit and not so much the seal. It's a badly designed part.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AMG2008020001.pdf (59.2 KB, 190 views)
220S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220S View Post
Are you the original owner? Did you get a recall notice?

If not, then go to your dealer and get a VMI printout and see if the recall repair was ever done. You may still qualify if it wasn't (or at least get some goodwill.) If it was a CPO'd car you may still be covered.

I've attached the recall notice. Did you check the big thread on the AMG forum? The leak comes primarily from a hairline crack in the plastic cap of the sending unit and not so much the seal. It's a badly designed part.
I emailed my SA to see if falls under the recall
health services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
car, cost, e500, fill, filter, fixed, fuel, fume, fumes, gas, gases, inside, mercedes, smell, vapors



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.
Everyone's Personal Details