E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear Speaker Confusion Need

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 "The Diplomat" W211
I got the same problem to... ****s hella annoying, it sounds like my car is farting every time I turn it on or off.. I think a big part of the problem is the crappy tape deck head unit thats in the car. I have had nothing but problems with everything that is connected to the Audio 50 so I am upgrading to the 06 comand nav. Ive noticed that if there I have my ipod playing instead of CD's, the sub does not bottom out and I dont notice the SBC as much when starting or turning off the car.

The Same electrical issues have plagued my car since I have bought it. My 6-disk CD player will work for a few weeks, then shut off randomly for 6 months. Almost every day I get in my car, especially when its cold the "WARNING: electronic consumers switched off" message is flashing and I cant use any Mercedes luxuries until the battery recharges (if the battery isnt dead). A few times a year my stereo will only play my music and loud static from one single speaker (The tweeter in the corner of the passenger side window... bass, mids and vocals). When I try and turn down the volume or turn the power off on the Comand unit, Static Noise just gets starts blasting full volume until I turn the car off. IT IS THE BIGGEST BUZZ KILL EVER. Unexpected static noise at full volume is a pretty Fu**ed experience, it kinda puts a damper on the rest of the day.

I still love my car tho, I just hope a new Comand System can fix the problems.

Last edited by Freshly; 03-02-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by Freshly
I got the same problem to... ****s hella annoying, it sounds like my car is farting every time I turn it on or off.. I think a big part of the problem is the crappy tape deck head unit thats in the car. I have had nothing but problems with everything that is connected to the Audio 50 so I am upgrading to the 06 comand nav. Ive noticed that if there I have my ipod playing instead of CD's, the sub does not bottom out and I dont notice the SBC as much when starting or turning off the car.

The Same electrical issues have plagued my car since I have bought it. My 6-disk CD player will work for a few weeks, then shut off randomly for 6 months. Almost every day I get in my car, especially when its cold the "WARNING: electronic consumers switched off" message is flashing and I cant use any Mercedes luxuries until the battery recharges (if the battery isnt dead). A few times a year my stereo will only play my music and loud static from one single speaker (The tweeter in the corner of the passenger side window... bass, mids and vocals). When I try and turn down the volume or turn the power off on the Comand unit, Static Noise just gets starts blasting full volume until I turn the car off. IT IS THE BIGGEST BUZZ KILL EVER. Unexpected static noise at full volume is a pretty Fu**ed experience, it kinda puts a damper on the rest of the day.

I still love my car tho, I just hope a new Comand System can fix the problems.

I know what you mean man.. I love driving that car soo much but even with the audio 50 off, it still pops and crackles.. DRIVES ME NUTS! Ruins it for me somewhat. But it has to be related to the SBC somehow.. I can hear it pressurizing or whatever it does and there is a correlation with the noise so it has to be interference with the breaking.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread but since I have the exact same problem I thought it was better to continue here instead of creating a new one. I have a 2004 wagon with the H/K Logic7 system, with a subwoofer inside the right side of the trunk. It used to sound fantastic, with deep bass and no distortion!

But now the subwoofer sounds broken, making a rattling sound when playing songs with a lot of bass. The subwoofer also makes this rattling sound for a second when turning on and off the engine.

I have tried two other subwoofers (same part nr) and the problem is still there, so I find it unlikely that the subwoofer actually is broken.

I have inspected the wiring from the subwoofer and the wiring at the AGW and the Comand Head unit. The ground cables at the AGW looks OK.

There is no fault codes stored at the AGW.

I also did suspect a problem with power for the subwoofer, so I have changed to a new battery and changed the voltage regulator at the alternator. No difference. I tried to recharge the battery to 100 % so the AGW and subwoofer would get enough power, but no difference.

Is there anything else I should try or look into? I just can't justify the cost of a new AGW right now.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E350 Wagon
How much are you budgeting for the AGW? It may be more affordable than you realize. I got one secondhand on ebay and it works like a champ: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331316601952?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Seller was extremely responsive and shipped fast too.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:51 PM

I might have found the solution, as you can see in the photos the ground point at the bracket holding the fuses in the trunk did not look very healthy. It contains many relays and fuses, like the 40A fuse for the AGW. Since there are no rust or corrision anywhere else, I guess this corrision comes from electrical current passing through the metal resulting in a chemical reaction? It was like battery acid all over.

Until I got a new bracket I used a sand machine to clean the bracket and the corresponding area on the car and now the bass does not rattle anymore! Well it rattles when playing very loud and high bass setting, but I think that is normal?

BTW, getting to the AGW in the W211 wagon is even more difficult then in the sedan, it even involves cutting in the interior mats (according to WIS).

Last edited by Bateman; 03-19-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:56 PM

Well, actually I still have the same problem. The bass rattling came back next day.

An used matching AGW is quite hard to find in Europe, it will be at least 200 $. Which I think is a little to much without being 100 % sure that it solves the problem.

Did any of you with bass interference when breaking or turning car on and off change AGW, and did it solve your problems?
Old 05-01-2015, 06:49 PM

A new AGW solved the problems. I will take it easy with the volume from now on.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 AM

w211
Subwoofer problem

Hi everybody... Im new here and I hope for some ancwers from people with more experiance. I have w211 today i put on audio 50 aps and AGW and everythings works fine except my subwoofer... I hoped that the problem is my old audio 20 but now with audio 50 and new agw its not working again...the mechanik said its blown... it doesnt make any sound. I havent seen that kind of blown sub before at least it will make strange noises like the others before me said. Any ideas ?