E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

how to replace the steering angle sensor DIY????????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350
Exclamation SAS removal

This is for my 2007 E class

Step1 - Take off the airbag (loosen the 2 hex screws at the back of the steering wheel)

Step 2 - Loosen the 2 airbag plugs green & yellow by lifting the yellow plug locks on them - you can use a small flat driver

Step 3 - Get a helper to hold the steering wheel while you loosen the 10 mm allen bolt , dont strain the steering lock while loosening

Step 4 - Have a close look at the exact posision of the steering on the splines before removing or better just mark it

Step 5 - Undo the 3 small hex screws holing the SAS onto the column assembly

Step 6 - Undo the 1 hex bolt at the bottom of the steering coloum (faces the floor)

Step 7 - you need to pull off the entire column assembly. (Grab the column and tug gently)

Step 8 - Look at the oposite side of the entire assembly (end that faces the firewall) and remove the two Hex screws .

Step 9 - the SAS needs to actually twist off of the column assembly (if you look at th new part it makes sense)

remove, replace and reassemble.

There, you saved $400 in labor
Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Von Richtofen
This is for my 2007 E class

Step1 - Take off the airbag (loosen the 2 hex screws at the back of the steering wheel)

Step 2 - Loosen the 2 airbag plugs green & yellow by lifting the yellow plug locks on them - you can use a small flat driver

Step 3 - Get a helper to hold the steering wheel while you loosen the 10 mm allen bolt , dont strain the steering lock while loosening

Step 4 - Have a close look at the exact posision of the steering on the splines before removing or better just mark it

Step 5 - Undo the 3 small hex screws holing the SAS onto the column assembly

Step 6 - Undo the 1 hex bolt at the bottom of the steering coloum (faces the floor)

Step 7 - you need to pull off the entire column assembly. (Grab the column and tug gently)

Step 8 - Look at the oposite side of the entire assembly (end that faces the firewall) and remove the two Hex screws .

Step 9 - the SAS needs to actually twist off of the column assembly (if you look at th new part it makes sense)

remove, replace and reassemble.

There, you saved $400 in labor

Hi - I have to do the same job. Did you have to remove the clockspring module before getting to the SAS? Also can you explain Step 9 and how did you ensure the new SAS is exactly in the center position. Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Steering wheel and tires should have been straight when you started. If so, then just align the line marks at 12 and 6 oclock on the spindle with the clockspring arrows and you should be OK.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:46 PM

mazda 3
is very easy to replace steering sensor

Is very easy to replace the angle sensor you gona need a torx t30 disconnect the battery unbolt the airbag from the two bolts behind steering wheel t30 then pull out the airbag disconnect the 4 plugs green yellow and two blacks at the steering wheel take the steering wheel of unbolt the center bolt hex 10mm pull the steering wheel of then under the cover of the steering column is a bolt t30 unbolt it after you do that just pull the cover off and the sensor will come out with the cover then in the back side you will see 2 bolts torx t10 unbolt them and pull the sensor out put it back backward

BUT YOUR PROBLEM SOUNDS MORE LIKE A BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH WICH CAN THROW THE SAME MESSAGE IF I WAS YOU I'D TRY THAT FIRST CUZ THATS THE CHEAPER LET ME KNOW IF THAT HELPS!!!

Originally Posted by drzcrazychulo4u
b
asically i read if your car keeps receiving a error message that states ESP INOPERATIVE and cruise control not available it is your steering angle sensor! another thing my car is doing is on start up it doesn't go into gear sometimes even after i hold down the brake, so i am guessing the car thinks the wheel is locked due to its steering angle sensor. correct me if i am wrong. thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 AM

W211 mercedes E280 2007
"ESP inoperative" is not absolutely due to steering angle sensor failure. My experiences with my E280 2007 (non 4matic) is when "ESP inoperative" message appeared, I took it to garage then they found brake switch has not been working. The brake switch was replaced at usd30 then the message ESP inoperative totally disappeared.

My advice is that you take your car to MB dealer to get it scanned before deciding anything.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:16 AM

e320 bluetec 2008
For future reference - removing steering angle sensor

Procedure for the 2008 e320 bluetec. An experienced person can swap this part in 30 minutes. No expereice - two to three hours.
Steps:
1) Steering wheel center straight.
2) Remove ground strap from battery - 10 mm box end wrench.
3) Remove two bolts behind steering wheel - torx 30. Lose bolts stay in steering wheel.
4) Pull air bag from steering wheel. Pull black wire straight off air bag. Using a dental pic, pull up the orange locks on the green and yellow connectors. Then pull connectors straight off. Lay air bag to the side.
5) Pull straight off the lower black connector on the steering wheel.
6) Remove 10 mm allen bolt at center of steering wheel. Notice the steering wheel is indexed for proper install. Remove steering wheel while threading the air bag wires through the steering wheel access hole.
7) Remove one bolt at bottom of steering column - torx 30.
8) Both hands, pry steering column towards you, it will seperate from the steering shaft and be removed from the car.
9) On the bench, remove three torx 10 bolts on the steering wheel end of steering column.
10) On the end of the steering column facing the firewall, remove two torx 10 bolts. End of hardware removal.
11) Rotate/pry old sensor off and install new.
12) Don't skip this step. The new sensor must be activated. After buttoning everything up, start motor, at idle, turn steering wheel full lock right, then full lock left, then back to center. End of procedure.

Last edited by danmd; 10-17-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM

2007 R350 & 2006 E350 Wagon
There are two batteries. Should both of them be disconnected?
Old 04-08-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2007 E350 P1 and P2
Originally Posted by adisco93
This was so sudden. The wife and an S550 backed up into each other in a parking lot, no body damage as they were just beginning to back out. The S had some blemishes on its bumber though, nothing on mine. Then this morning the light came on then i noticed the alignment was off. I dont think they are correlated though.

You can't swing a dead cat in Fairfield county without hitting an E or S class Benz.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:32 PM

W211 E 200 CDI 2003
Please help
One of torx 30 screws that holds the airbag has gone bad and i cant unscrew it. What can i do?
Old 10-20-2015, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Gone bad??? Re-iterate what that means...
Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 AM

W211 E 200 CDI 2003
Originally Posted by cmriv
Gone bad??? Re-iterate what that means...
The torx doesn't hold to the screw so i can't release it. I have tryed every size. I think i have damaged the head. (Sorry about my bad english)
Old 10-21-2015, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
righty tighty lefty loosy.... Your best bet is to find a t-35 since i think the are t-30's and hammer it on to the hogged up screw hoping you indent it enough to get some leverage.

This situation you have come about isn't exactly a good look for you by any means....