E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HID Xenon Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 e350 4matic
HID Xenon Conversion

I have a 2008 w211 (US) with halogen. I have read several posts here about adding after market kit but many are order posts.

I was wondering for those who have done this conversion if you are experiencing any problems months after install?

Also many posts have recommended MTEC hid kit from MTEC power on EBAY. They claim to not need a battery harness and have a resister built in so no error message. Basically they say "put xenon bulb in headlight assem., plug original headlight wire into ballast, plug new ballast wire into xenon bulb, mount ballast, and enjoy". Is this really true? No error code and no other wires needed? Please don’t tell me I am dreaming?

It is worth it to me for $280 to get xenons but not worth it if i have to re-wire under the hood.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTEC-...item588b958fd0

Thanks
PS- My first post on MB Forum!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 PM

06' w211 E500 Sport
Welcome!

I believe you need to get 'projector' style headlamps, because if you stick HIDs into the non-projector housings, the light beam will be washed out and will blind everybody. With the projector headlamps, the beam is focused and doesn't reflect off the back of the inside of the housing...

these come in 2 flavors, chrome and black - I would go with the 'chrome' one as it looks stock, and I would go for a silver bulb which illuminates amber or white - (not an amber one which is illustrated in the pic)...

http://spyderauto.com/product.php?id...dlights-Chrome
Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
05 MB E320 CDI
I got the MTEC kit for my 2005 E320 CDI. Car has halogen projector headlights. Bought the MTEC 4500K HID kit and it's pretty much all plug and play. It even comes with installation instructions. I've had mine on my car since last September but I did put the car away in November for the winter. No problems with the MTEC kit when I was driving the car.

Keep in mind there are cheaper kits out there look at the sticky on HIDs.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...es-models.html

I went a far cheaper route on my foglights and spent only $45 on the kit and it's been fine so far.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM

2008 E350 Sport Pano Roof
Same story here, I had my fog lights and high beam with HID, no problem at all..I got mine from www.v-leds.com for about $45 a set. I used them before in my previous Linc Aviator for over 5 years and no problems either.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 PM

2003 e320
I just recently put hids in my low beams and fogs and they work perfectly fine. Got mine from ddmtuning.com
Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 AM

08 e350 4matic
Originally Posted by steeven001
I got the MTEC kit for my 2005 E320 CDI. Car has halogen projector headlights. Bought the MTEC 4500K HID kit and it's pretty much all plug and play. It even comes with installation instructions. I've had mine on my car since last September but I did put the car away in November for the winter. No problems with the MTEC kit when I was driving the car.

Keep in mind there are cheaper kits out there look at the sticky on HIDs.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...es-models.html

I went a far cheaper route on my foglights and spent only $45 on the kit and it's been fine so far.
Did you have to run any other wires? Resistors or battery relay? Where did you get the MTEC kit from? I am interested in the MTEC because they claim to not need resistors or relays.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by juanchente2004
Same story here, I had my fog lights and high beam with HID, no problem at all..I got mine from www.v-leds.com for about $45 a set. I used them before in my previous Linc Aviator for over 5 years and no problems either.

I would not recommend going too cheap on these kits as the lower quality ones are not shielded which could damage your expensive SBC brake unit..I paid like $225 for a made in Japan kit (ExtremeHID). YOu may also need a resistor in series to mimic the 55V load, mine flicked without it

Good luck
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
05 MB E320 CDI
Originally Posted by mattrohrbach
Did you have to run any other wires? Resistors or battery relay? Where did you get the MTEC kit from? I am interested in the MTEC because they claim to not need resistors or relays.
Didn't have to run any extra wires or relay or resistor. It just goes halogen plug to ballast and ballast to Xenon bulb.

I ordered mine from Ebay. The seller was mtecpower. There was other sellers selling fake versions of the MTEC kit so I suggest you buy from mtecpower.

Ohh and the cheap kits I got from ddmtuning.com
Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 AM

07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
www.HIDExtra.com for $60 right now. Includes the error canceller if you ask for it, all with free shipping.
Did my low beams and fogs with 5k kelvin (hardly any blue color emitted). No probs for a little over a year. I believe the ''08 uses an H7 (pull the current bulb to verify. My manual made a mistake on the fogs), and I also believe the SBC was eliminated with MY '07.

All Plug 'n Play. Hardest part of mod is getting the rubber grommet thru the rectangular opening in the center of the sheet metal bulb holder.

Last edited by SPNJHockey; 03-15-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by mattrohrbach
I have a 2008 w211 (US) with halogen. I have read several posts here about adding after market kit but many are order posts.

I was wondering for those who have done this conversion if you are experiencing any problems months after install?

Also many posts have recommended MTEC hid kit from MTEC power on EBAY. They claim to not need a battery harness and have a resister built in so no error message. Basically they say "put xenon bulb in headlight assem., plug original headlight wire into ballast, plug new ballast wire into xenon bulb, mount ballast, and enjoy". Is this really true? No error code and no other wires needed? Please don’t tell me I am dreaming?

It is worth it to me for $280 to get xenons but not worth it if i have to re-wire under the hood.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTEC-...item588b958fd0

Thanks
PS- My first post on MB Forum!

You will get flickering if you buy a kit without the resistor. I would recommend getting ballasts with their own power supply, much more reliable and it by-passes your car electrical system. Been there, done that the hard way
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08'e350
I installed aftermkt hid since july 2010, the light flickers like crazy, then took it to dealer and ask them to set car to xenon light setting (probably reducing the voltage going to the headlights), flicker's gone since then. free of charge (still under warranty) and no problem since then~ oh yeah, had to readjust the aiming on the head light.. not a big deal though.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:11 PM

E350 4matic sport
Make sure you put capacitors in whatever you get. If you don't, your lights will flicker constantly and you'll hate it. It only takes 5 minutes to do it and it'll save you a big headache.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 PM

06' w211 E500 Sport
...and what about the projector style headlamps? No need? Just stick the HIDs in the halogen lamps?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

08 e350 4matic
Okay guys thanks for the help. I will be ordering the MTEC kit. If it flickers I will try to get the dealer to turn lights to xenon present. If I have no luck with them I will try the resistor. Should work fine just nervous about messing around under the hood. I will post pictures and step by step install when completed. Hope to have them up and running in a couple of weeks. Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM

2015 ML400 Sportline
Try Retro Solutions

I realize this thread may be dead already but another great lead for xenon HIDs is a company called Retro-Solutions in CT. Their HID kits are pricier than the sketchy ebay ones. The upshot is two fold: 1. located in the USA so no risk of import duties, easy customer service in ENGLISH, quick shipping and quick post-sales support. 2. they sell 55W HID which are as bright as Hell is hot. Digitally-controlled ballasts, and they come with life time warranty. They do not define "lifetime" as two years either. Highly recommend them - www.retro-solutions.com
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM

08 e350 4matic
Bought a 4300k MTEC Kit from Car Light Trends .com ($270) and had a local audio store install for $90. Here is what i found:

The 4300k light is not much different than the regular halogen light, it does have more white light in the center of the light pattern but towards the sides it is the same as halogen. It is bighter though. The halogen projector definetly needed to be adjusted for the brighter light output. I turned them down and in and achieved a better cut off of light, but is definetly not as good as OEM hid beam pattern. I ordered a set of 6000k to put in, hopefully they will be better whiter but not blue. Below is a picture before I adjusted the headlight assembly.
Overall, if the 6000k give me a whiter look this upgrade is worth the small price (compared to OEM +$2000) to get better performace.
Attached Thumbnails HID Xenon Conversion-photo.jpg   HID Xenon Conversion-img_0466.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 AM

HYUNDAI
If you want to install a HID Kit on your car, don't choose too cheap one, don's choose DC HID Kit,
The quality HID Kits are AC products.
please take a look at this link: www.tdlhid.com
Or you can send you question to me by mail directly.

And when you choose HID Xenon Light, you should check the bulb inside is full-filled gas or still with tungsten filament, the real xenon light should 100% full-filled gas.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350
mattrohrbach, could you post the 6000K Mtec pics ? I want to see how blue they are. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM

08 e350 4matic
I don't because I took them right out. They are truly a diamond white but the performance is horrible. The halogens are much brighter than the 6000k almost no strong cutoff. If you want color they are ok. If you want performance go with 4300. 5000 would have been perfect.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350
Mattrohrbach, thanks for the advice. Will do more research.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 AM

ml430
I used MTEC HID 4300K. I bought it from Ebay $250 in 2008 for my 2008 E350-4matic, work perfectly, Plug&Play, no error on the computer. I remebered that someone in the forum highly recommended to go with 4300K.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
I am planning to do this mod shortly and there are so many kits available it's a bit overwhelming. I've spent hours reading all of the threads on this forum regarding the HID conversion process. (great thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-models-8.html)

While searching on eBay I came across these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fusoku-HID-C...ht_4483wt_1413 from a newer vendor. The add seems to be professional but only 26 people have viewed it so I am not sure how many have sold. Also, they make a point to say the kit doesn't include and error canceling parts.

This is certainly an area where you do not want to skimp out on because you could fry your headlights/wiring which will be expensive to correct. Any thoughts?

I will most likely end up getting the MTEC as it seems to have all the parts and i've read no complaints regarding it. Just exploring all of the options.

EDIT: Fusoku sent me an e-mail reply,

Thanks for interested in our Fusoku HID Kit,
We have done alot of European car, such as BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen for some of European vehicles it does need extra component to operate the HID conversion kit,
such as Error Message Cancellor for some of the vehilces need some custom jobs, so we recommended our customer to find a professional body shop for installation.

All of our HID Kits are made with Plug and Play ready, It is NOT necessary to change any Factory Setting or cut any Factory wire.

If you need more pictures and information, you can visit our facebook fan page: Sky Dimension. We have uploaded some pictures of our coustomer's vehicle.

Also, we provided 30 days no question money back guaranty, once you return the products without any damage, we will refund with full amount back to you without any questions.

We believe, our HID Kit can fit your E class and we hope to hear from you very soon,

Thank You

Sincerely,
Fusoku Lighting Service
Web Marketing Team

Guess I am going with the MTEC.

Last edited by mhass350; 05-22-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 AM

04 E500 Pewtergrey/ 06 E55 AMG White
so which kit did you get from DDM, I use them for my other vehicles, but never for the 04 e500, would you care to direct me to which kit? thanks

Originally Posted by enshadowbenz
I just recently put hids in my low beams and fogs and they work perfectly fine. Got mine from ddmtuning.com
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
I don't have an '04 but I decided to buy from DDM Tuning --not MTEC as I indicated above-- for my '09; I have attached the order.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DDM Tuning Order.pdf (43.5 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by mhass350; 01-30-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM

04 E500 Pewtergrey/ 06 E55 AMG White
Thank you kindly sir, just one more question

Since you have a much newer year than mine, and your lights if I'm correct is a one piece lens, My assumptions would be that this kit may not fit my application Right? how would I know which ones to buy? or would you know which ones I should get, I would rather stick with DDM, I have used them for years. Thanks

Originally Posted by mhass350
I don't have an '04 but I decided to buy from DDM Tuning --not MTEC as I indicated above-- for my '09; I have attached the order.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HID Xenon Conversion