E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

NTG1 COMAND APS inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
NTG1 COMAND APS inside

Just in case someone ever wondered how a NTG1 COMAND APS looks like from inside. I had a bunch of them here to fix the CD/DVD-ROM drives which gave the user the infamous "Disk Error"!
Attached Thumbnails NTG1 COMAND APS inside-comand-mobo-without-fakra-pcb.jpg   NTG1 COMAND APS inside-comand-dvd-drive-001.jpg   NTG1 COMAND APS inside-comand-dvd-drive-002.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Did you fix the existing DVD drive or did you swap it with a new part? Are new DVD drives affordable and easy to find?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

DB, you can't fix the laser unit b/c they have to be calibrated and have to match the firmware. The firmware knows how to slide the laser unit back and forth for this particular drive then.

I got a bunch of different drives for different models from my buddy who works for Harman/Becker in Germany. You have to swap the hole drive although I heard that some just swapped the laser units with cheap copies. But it causes problems b/c they are not calibrated and matched with the firmware.

It's like you can put new tires on your rims but without balancing the wheels it's not one smooth unit. Makes sense?

About the price you know where you find me as I can't post it here b/c officially you can't buy the parts. One would have to send the COMAND in for repair. Same with the firmware update 28/08 which is not officially released. The swap takes some time if you don't wanna break something. Bunch of plastic parts that hold the front together with the metal case. 2 Screws and 2 metal pins are used to secure the bezel to the casing

Last edited by Mackhack; 04-10-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Mackhack
DB, you can't fix the laser unit b/c they have to be calibrated and have to match the firmware. The firmware knows how to slide the laser unit back and forth for this particular drive then.

I got a bunch of different drives for different models from my buddy who works for Harman/Becker in Germany. You have to swap the hole drive although I heard that some just swapped the laser units with cheap copies. But it causes problems b/c they are not calibrated and matched with the firmware.

It's like you can put new tires on your rims but without balancing the wheels it's not one smooth unit. Makes sense?

About the price you know where you find me as I can't post it here b/c officially you can't buy the parts. One would have to send the COMAND in for repair. Same with the firmware update 28/08 which is not officially released. The swap takes some time if you don't wanna break something. Bunch of plastic parts that hold the front together with the metal case. 2 Screws and 2 metal pins are used to secure the bezel to the casing
Thanks for all this info.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I need a help and I don't know if this the right place to put my question but I didn't find anything similar...I own a second hand W211-2007 (E200 Kompressor) VIN No. WDB2110411B125180 with NTG 1 COMAND APS factory fitted in Europe. Everything works perfect except audio cds. The system recognize and play DVDs in MP3 format but don't recognize CDs either music or MP3. When inserting CD after a few seconds display the message "DVD error". Pushing AUDIO button two tabs appear" 1) RADIO (which is selectable) & 2) CD (which is fade and not selectable). In a few words the system plays perfect whatever is written on DVD-R disk (MP3 or video) but does not recognizes CDs. It behavies like to expect all the times to read only DVD disc...First owber is an old man and he cannot understand the difference (I think that never used CDs or DVDs!!!). My local official workshop checked the COMAND system by STAR and they said that everything looks normal, no error codes, so obviously the system does not support CDs!!!
When the unit is switching on the screen display's both logos of DVD disk and audio CD Disk, while the manual of course describe the CD operation as normal...I consider that MB technician is ignorant but I don't know what to do further... Anyone with similar problem? Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Banned

Your DVD-ROM most likely died. Many become defective and need to be replaced. I replaced mine a few months ago after this and it reads everything again just fine. If you need one I can check with my Harman/Becker source if I can get you one.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM

Your DVD-ROM most likely died. Many become defective and need to be replaced. I replaced mine a few months ago after this and it reads everything again just fine. If you need one I can check with my Harman/Becker source if I can get you one.
If so, how reads everything in DVD format? even DVD video disks play fine! MB star shows all parameters ok, I was hopping that reflashing the unit would correct the problem but dealer said that they don't have any firmware to re-flash...sound very strange to me, really I don't know what to say... Your suggestion means replacement of the whole unit or just drive module? What could be the cost? Thanks in advance.

Alternativelly a CD changer could be fitted, isn't so? If yes what would be the cost?

Last edited by aris64; 03-22-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Adding text
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Banned

Mine didn't read CDs but DVDs and Dual-Layers just fine. Reason is simple: The drives have 2 laser diodes for 2 different wave lengths. The laser for CDs was defective, the other one was fine.

Sounds perfectly fine that your dealer doesn't have firmware to flash it. Why would they? What should flashing of software do if hardware is most likely defective?

My suggestion means what I said: replacing the CD/DVD drive, NOT the entire unit.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Mine didn't read CDs but DVDs and Dual-Layers just fine. Reason is simple: The drives have 2 laser diodes for 2 different wave lengths. The laser for CDs was defective, the other one was fine.

Sounds perfectly fine that your dealer doesn't have firmware to flash it. Why would they? What should flashing of software do if hardware is most likely defective?

My suggestion means what I said: replacing the CD/DVD drive, NOT the entire unit.
Fully clear and understood... Thanks indeed. Is there any technical info for dismantling / fitting a replacement drive? What could the cost of a drive or where to order from? I am in Greece...I don't want to argue further or pay more to MB guys,as gthey believe that system is OK and the operation not supported...
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

PM me for pricing.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by aris64
Hi, I need a help and I don't know if this the right place to put my question but I didn't find anything similar...I own a second hand W211-2007 (E200 Kompressor) VIN No. WDB2110411B125180 with NTG 1 COMAND APS factory fitted in Europe. Everything works perfect except audio cds. The system recognize and play DVDs in MP3 format but don't recognize CDs either music or MP3. When inserting CD after a few seconds display the message "DVD error". Pushing AUDIO button two tabs appear" 1) RADIO (which is selectable) & 2) CD (which is fade and not selectable). In a few words the system plays perfect whatever is written on DVD-R disk (MP3 or video) but does not recognizes CDs. It behavies like to expect all the times to read only DVD disc...First owber is an old man and he cannot understand the difference (I think that never used CDs or DVDs!!!). My local official workshop checked the COMAND system by STAR and they said that everything looks normal, no error codes, so obviously the system does not support CDs!!!
When the unit is switching on the screen display's both logos of DVD disk and audio CD Disk, while the manual of course describe the CD operation as normal...I consider that MB technician is ignorant but I don't know what to do further... Anyone with similar problem? Any ideas?
If Cd is faded and can't be selected, I would hazard a guess that this refers to you not having a six-disc CD changer, not that the "head unit" can't play CDs.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by murman
If Cd is faded and can't be selected, I would hazard a guess that this refers to you not having a six-disc CD changer, not that the "head unit" can't play CDs.
Right there is no cd changer but then the symbol should be CDC, anyway it seems that the drive is defective...will see. thanks for commenting anyway
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by aris64
Right there is no cd changer but then the symbol should be CDC, anyway it seems that the drive is defective...will see. thanks for commenting anyway
My duh. Must be the allergy meds.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by murman
My duh. Must be the allergy meds.
Drugs are bad for you man
Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 AM

CLK 270 Cdi 2004
Just in case someone ever wondered how a NTG1 COMAND APS looks like from inside. I had a bunch of them here to fix the CD/DVD-ROM drives which gave the user the infamous "Disk Error"!
Hi, thanks a lot for your advises.
Here is my little problem; when drive the car and it get hot after an hour driving, my comand APS NTG1 would not read the DVD map for sat nav, it says "please insert DVD" when it is already inside... I presumed it is dying.
So I have removed and opened my comand unit, and took the DVD player apart, I have noticed that the picture of your's is the same as mine. on the label it is written: 32700-02600700 DV-01-26 NC102290 nearly same reference.
Do you know how I could buy a spare one to fix my problem ?
Thanks you
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Banned

I can get you a drive if you need one! Pricing via PM though.

BUT: The map DVD is in the trunk, not in your COMAND APS!!! I had the same issue. It is a thermo-problem of the DVD drive inside your navigation processor in the trunk.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:47 AM

CLK 270 Cdi 2004
hi Mackack, and thank you for your reply.
In my CLK it is not like in E class, the DVD map drive is part of the comand unit and in the glove cabinet I have a 6 cd drive charger. I 've opened the comand unit and the DVD drive is the same as the one in your pictures in the top of this thread, as I wrote above, on the label it is written: 32700-02600700 DV-01-26 NC102290 nearly same reference...
And it is a thermo-problem of the DVD drive, it works OK a few hours and after parking in the sun a few minutes it would not read the DVD map. So I am going to send you a PM thank again.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Banned

Ok got it! You didn't mention that you're driving a clk! I assumed it's an E-Class.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 W166, 2014 W212, 2011 W212, 2004 W211
How much would it cost to replace the DVD drive in my Comand? The mechanism that accepts/ejects discs works intermittently. When I can actually get a disc in there, it plays CDs/DVDs perfectly.

(Tried to PM you, but your inbox was full)
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Banned

Inbox is cleared!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 AM

E420CDI 2008, GLK220CDI 2009
Hello

I am interested to know how it is possible to know which type of "Command" is instalklled NTG??? and which version of the Maps

Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cc260E
Hello

I am interested to know how it is possible to know which type of "Command" is instalklled NTG??? and which version of the Maps

Thanks
Your question has nothing to do with the topic here. Please open your own thread with this question and I'm sure someone will help you out. Tip: It's not Command but COMAND
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM

E420CDI 2008, GLK220CDI 2009
Sorry I will do.

I just wanted to avoid too numerous topics
Old 07-04-2014, 06:48 AM

w211
I had the same issue. It is a thermo-problem of the DVD drive inside your navigation processor in the trunk.
Thanks for this Mackhack. I have the same problem with my W211/NTG1 Navi. I already spend 2 work hours with the dealer to investigate. The advice is to replace the Navi unit (very costly).

I remember that before this thermo problem occurred, I found white powder flocks on the navi dvd itself. I cleaned the DVD and reinserted it. After a while there was again white powder on the DVD. Cleaned and repeated again several times. The powder finally stopped appearing.

I now have the suspicion that the drive unit itself is probably fine but there must have been 1 or more elco's that popped. That is also a temperature problem but shows poor quality in the pcb components of the navi unit. I am planning to have the navi unit removed and inspect/replaced elco's in the pcb. I need to ask MB to remove the unit for me since I don't now how to open the upholstery and whether I can drive without the unit and loose connectors.

Any advice/comments and help very welcome !
Old 07-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Banned

It's not a capacitor. The first units had a known fault. It had a faulty/wrong thermoresistor. I get smite information on Monday about it from Harman for you. But my advise: buy a new drive and replace it. I can get you one if you want.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: NTG1 COMAND APS inside