E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer used Valvoline Synpower 5W40 engine oil...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 4matic
Dealer used Valvoline Synpower 5W40 engine oil...

Hi folks. I bought a pre-owned 2008 E350 4Matic Luxury (i.e. non-sport package) last month. Today I took it for a oil change at the dealer mfoffreehold.com- in Freehold, NJ. FWIW- I did not buy the car from this dealer.

The oil change went fine, they were done in about an hour. They also did a complimentary safety inspection, looked up any pending recalls, looked up previous owner maintenance records (did not show them to me) and also gave a free car wash. My total was $135 including 7% NJ taxes etc. I think this is a reasonable price.

When I came back home, I read the invoice they had given me. To my surprise, they had put Valvoline Synpower 5W40 oil in my car. The line item in my receipt reads (Qty=9; SKU=607272; Item desc=Val5/40 Synpower HST; List Price=$7.00; Net Price=$5.00; Total Price=$45.00).

Of course I will call them and MB on monday but I wanted to get your input first. I have seen Mobil1 0W40 recommended unanimously in this and other forums, which meets the 229.5 spec.

Also, I did look up Valvoline website, they do claim that their Synpower 5W40 is approved by MB

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-...c-motor-oil/37

1. How does SynPower compare to Mobil1 and Amsoil?
    Valvoline's SynPower motor oils meet and exceed the same specifications as these two products.

SynPower motor oils are high performing, high-quality oils formulated with full synthetic base oils and top tier additives to provide an increased level of performance. All of Valvoline's SynPower motor oils are API licensed to ensure quality for North American vehicle application. We have specially designed SynPower 5w40 for application in high performance European or diesel passenger cars and this oil carries the specific OEM approvals such as Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Porsche and BMW. Our North American SynPower 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 exceed ILSAC GF-4 requirements and carry the API starburst on the front label. SynPower is designed with extra levels of detergent and antioxidant to provide outstanding deposit and heat protection.
What do you guys think?

Also, this thread- http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2115738 has a good comparison between Mobil1 0W40 and Valvoline Synpower 5W40.

TIA.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Rest easy & See Page 2:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf