E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Windshield Replacement Experience

Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Windshield Replacement Experience

A wayward stone found our E350 windshield last week, leaving a large chip in the line of sight. I called Safelite, and they promptly dispatched a mobile unit to my home. Very nice tech set up the little suction machine which also then injects the resin. While it was in the suction mode, he happened to mention he needed to know the car's mileage, and would I please check. As I opened the door, the chip immediately grew into a large crack...no longer a repair, now a replacement. The tech was shocked at how well sealed the MB is, creating a suction draw to that degree when the door opens. He said they open doors frequently on other cars during the process and this has never happened before. So, if you have a chip repair being made, STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!

So, off to find OE glass, quickly, as the car was due to leave out of state the day after next. Eventually, Safelite found one at a MB dealer, picked it up same-day, and did an outstanding job on the install. They are an amazingly customer-driven company, right down to installing full front seat covers, steering wheel cover, paper floor mats, heavy rubber hood/fender covers etc. while working. They do an interior vacuum when done, and take care of all the paperwork with insurance. Regarding the glass, the PPG company has been taken over by PWG, so that changes on the label. Also, most of the other identifying information is the same other than some which apparently indicates production information. The white rectangle Mercedes script label has also been updated to silver on clear outlined label.

Original OE:

Replacement OE:

New Brand Label:

I learned that our local MB dealers outsource glass work to Safelite and other similar companies. The dealers supply the OE glass for those who do not accept aftermarket glass, but do not do the labor. My experience with Safelite was so good that I would immediately call them again without hesitation for any glass work in the future.

Sorry for all the reflections on the second two shots taken in the garage...that is new shiny glass!
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Replacement Experience-img-20110801-00027.jpg   Windshield Replacement Experience-img-20110802-00031.jpg   Windshield Replacement Experience-img-20110802-00032.jpg  

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-02-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The blue/clear decal says you are a client of "Novi"? ...What does it say? Does it mean anything or is it a new way for a dealership to get their name on your car?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The blue/clear decal says you are a client of "Novi"? ...What does it say? Does it mean anything or is it a new way for a dealership to get their name on your car?
It is the MB dealer ID. That is a close-up of course, but in real life, it is pretty subtle, down in the corner. It allows the SA who comes to the write-up lane to immediately recognize the car as one of "their own". No license plate frames.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Sportstick
It is the MB dealer ID. That is a close-up of course, but in real life, it is pretty subtle, down in the corner. It allows the SA who comes to the write-up lane to immediately recognize the car as one of "their own". No license plate frames.
Beverly Hills does the same thing. Supposedly it allows you to get "VIP" service whatever that is. I'm never usually in the area to even have my car go back there (hasn't been there since Aug. 07 lol).

Glad u had a good experience. Have to get our 02 CL500 a new windshield. Damn "purple" OEM glass is sooooo expensive
Old 08-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E500
After getting an aftermarket windshield for my G35, I will now always make sure to get a factory windshield. The first one I got had some visual deformity in the glass. Had to spend an entire morning getting it replaced at the shop. That's what I get for trying to save $75 deductible.

I should've used Safelite in the 1st place.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM

2005 E
how much did the replacement cost?
i need a new windsheild on my E
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by SurgeSi
how much did the replacement cost?
i need a new windsheild on my E
Nothing...full glass insurance coverage with zero deductible. Sorry, but I never heard the actual price mentioned.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 E320 Original Owner 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet 2015 S600
I have had good experiences with Safelite too.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM

2005 E
oh wow thats a good deal
my deductible is $500 and i got a quote for $450
so theres no point of going through insurance
but im not sure if thats OEM mercedes windshield
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM

2008 E550
I'm in South Carolina, which also does free glass replacement. Though, you have to use whatever Safelite wants to use. If you want OE you have to pay the difference, and Nationwide Insurance sure gave me a lot of hell over it when I tried to get my Lexus glass replaced w/ OE glass.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I should have mentioned that I have Chubb insurance, and they have never pushed back on any OE part issues with any of our cars, and we've had a few experiences requiring their assistance (unfortunately)! So, in addition to Safelite, I also recommend Chubb for great service. They advertise in the MB Club magazine, Star.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
If I needed windshield replacement I'd fight State Farm tooth and nail over making sure the glass I get is the same in quality to factory OEM glass (IR coating and all...) if they tried to provides something of lesser quality. Does anyone know if the "generic" glass is identical quality wise to the glass you can get from the dealer?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
If I needed windshield replacement I'd fight State Farm tooth and nail over making sure the glass I get is the same in quality to factory OEM glass (IR coating and all...) if they tried to provides something of lesser quality. Does anyone know if the "generic" glass is identical quality wise to the glass you can get from the dealer?
Buyer beware. You can get substandard glass. I have had one in a Lincoln that was wavey and easy to see the defect.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:12 PM

2008 E550
Safelite and your insurance company will swear it's equal quality. But I personally am suspicious.

Nationwide told me I would have to pay the difference if I wanted OE glass, only after they argued with me forever. They also made me do the leg work to find out the pricing and everything. PITA.

There definitely is a price difference, and the insurance companies are super quick to tell you there is no difference other than a logo in the corner and $200-300 price difference
Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by SethP
Safelite and your insurance company will swear it's equal quality. But I personally am suspicious.

Nationwide told me I would have to pay the difference if I wanted OE glass, only after they argued with me forever. They also made me do the leg work to find out the pricing and everything. PITA.

There definitely is a price difference, and the insurance companies are super quick to tell you there is no difference other than a logo in the corner and $200-300 price difference
I think the point is to know at least one aspect (other than a logo) that makes the OE glass technically superior because you can easily make an argument to use the OE glass in that case. When my car was keyed I had to fight with the insurance agent to have the paint fixed by a Mercedes certified body shop. They kept saying I'll have to pay the different if I take the car to a Mercedes certified shop and I kept telling them no you will pay for the entire bill. I eventually made them pay the entire bill (came to about twice their estimate). If anyone knows of any aspect, such as an IR coating etc., let us know because that will make it easier to make an argument.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I think the point is to know at least one aspect (other than a logo) that makes the OE glass technically superior because you can easily make an argument to use the OE glass in that case. When my car was keyed I had to fight with the insurance agent to have the paint fixed by a Mercedes certified body shop. They kept saying I'll have to pay the different if I take the car to a Mercedes certified shop and I kept telling them no you will pay for the entire bill. I eventually made them pay the entire bill (came to about twice their estimate). If anyone knows of any aspect, such as an IR coating etc., let us know because that will make it easier to make an argument.
I wish I could remember where I read this, but on one of these forums, someone reported a warranty problem which later arose after non-OE glass was used. The person had a problem with their A/C, and when the car was examined, MB reportedly refused the warranty claim on the A/C because a non-OE windshield was installed. They said the fit was not exactly the same, allowing water to drip down the cowl into the A/C unit, causing the eventual corrosion and damage.

It would seem there is a presumption that original parts are required to return the car to the original insured condition, although you may want to read the terms of each of your policies. If the insurance company wishes to substitute, they should be asked to provide a document that MBUSA considers the parts to be of like quality. Failing that, substitutes should be refused if your policy does not allow for them.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Going through this too, sort of. My rain sensing wiper has never worked properly. The previous owner had the windshield replaced with aftermarket (LOF, made in Finland). After several service attempts, and on the 3rd sensor, the glass is apparently the problem. My dealer sells the glass for $399 and they use Guardian for the installation.

Last edited by Musikmann; 08-07-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 2013 Tahoe 2007 Mustang GT Conv.
Earlier this week, a rock was picked up off the road, hits the windshield, causing a pea-sized chip. I knew from past experience, the chip is repairable which through my insurance (USAA) the repair would be no cost to me. I went to the local Safelite shop to have the repair completed. While the repair was being made, the windshield cracked. No fault whatsoever to Safelite for I knew that there would be chance that during the repair process the glass would crack. Safelite advised me that they would have to order the windshield from MB due to the blue tint the glass has. I'm very glad that I will be getting MB glass for the replacement. Safelite should have the windshield in first of next week. I follow up and let you know how everything went with the replacement, etc.

Kudos to Safelite for their great service!!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I had my windshield replaced this morning. They installed glass made by PWG. Now my rain sensor does not work. The wipers will do one swipe and then do nothing. The owner is checking with someone on what could be the problem. I am wondering if they could have installed the sensor upside down? It just clicks in place, so I do not know.
Mike T.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 S211 E500 4Matic
All of you who got their glass replaced with OEM are lucky. I tried to wrestle with Geico over intalling an OEM glass on my mother's Volvo and they wouldn't budge. Granted, I don't know a damn about thing Volvos or their glass, but Geico told me that we'd need to dish out $300 if we wanted to proceed with OEM glass. I guess when I commission next year, I'll go with USAA as I heard good things about them when it comes to these issues.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E500 Pewtergrey/ 06 E55 AMG White
great to here, so do they take off and put your rear view mirror back on also?

and how much was the oem glass and install?

Originally Posted by Sportstick
A wayward stone found our E350 windshield last week, leaving a large chip in the line of sight. I called Safelite, and they promptly dispatched a mobile unit to my home. Very nice tech set up the little suction machine which also then injects the resin. While it was in the suction mode, he happened to mention he needed to know the car's mileage, and would I please check. As I opened the door, the chip immediately grew into a large crack...no longer a repair, now a replacement. The tech was shocked at how well sealed the MB is, creating a suction draw to that degree when the door opens. He said they open doors frequently on other cars during the process and this has never happened before. So, if you have a chip repair being made, STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!

So, off to find OE glass, quickly, as the car was due to leave out of state the day after next. Eventually, Safelite found one at a MB dealer, picked it up same-day, and did an outstanding job on the install. They are an amazingly customer-driven company, right down to installing full front seat covers, steering wheel cover, paper floor mats, heavy rubber hood/fender covers etc. while working. They do an interior vacuum when done, and take care of all the paperwork with insurance. Regarding the glass, the PPG company has been taken over by PWG, so that changes on the label. Also, most of the other identifying information is the same other than some which apparently indicates production information. The white rectangle Mercedes script label has also been updated to silver on clear outlined label.

Original OE:

Replacement OE:

New Brand Label:

I learned that our local MB dealers outsource glass work to Safelite and other similar companies. The dealers supply the OE glass for those who do not accept aftermarket glass, but do not do the labor. My experience with Safelite was so good that I would immediately call them again without hesitation for any glass work in the future.

Sorry for all the reflections on the second two shots taken in the garage...that is new shiny glass!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 AM

2006 E320 CDI
My windshield saga continues. My window shop replaced the PGW windshield with a Pilkington in hopes that the rain sensor would work. It still does not work. He also said that this is the second MB in the past two weeks doing the same thing. He will do more research (and so will I) to see if there is a solution.
I cannot see how the rain sensor would not work in two aftermarket windshields (it just clips one way to the windshields sensor bracket). I am sure that PGW and Pilkington know what they are doing.
I thought that I saw somewhere that there is a reset for the rain sensor but cannot find it.
Mike T.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
I got a replacement windshield on my old S several years ago and the rain sensor never worked again. They said it was OEM.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 PM

2006 E320 CDI
After letting the car sit for 30 minutes, I tried the following, and it worked!:

"With the engine running and all passenger doors closed, starting at the 0 position, turn on wipers to #3 position, then put the switch in the 0 position, then put it in the auto #1 (rain sensor position), then have someone splash water on the windshield as the doors have to be closed to reset this function. They should function normally."

I did not need another person as all I did was roll the window when I started the car and performed the top procedure. I assume that the sensor did not like the PGW windshield.
Mike T.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
After letting the car sit for 30 minutes, I tried the following, and it worked!:

"With the engine running and all passenger doors closed, starting at the 0 position, turn on wipers to #3 position, then put the switch in the 0 position, then put it in the auto #1 (rain sensor position), then have someone splash water on the windshield as the doors have to be closed to reset this function. They should function normally."

I did not need another person as all I did was roll the window when I started the car and performed the top procedure. I assume that the sensor did not like the PGW windshield.
Mike T.
Just curious... since the procedure is in quotes it came from some source. Do you know what the original source is?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement Experience