E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DIY custom floor mats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 e500 4matic
DIY custom floor mats

Hey everyone. Happy Turkey Day! 7minutes to Black Friday and I'm boycotting...well, the baby is sick so I'm home with her while the other girls go out and waste money on gifts that people will probably regift or return for credit....

Anyway, I just finished part 1 of a little project thought I'd share. I have the OE floor mats for my car, I'd rather not trash them since I know how I am with wet shoes, mud, dirt and such....I tend to track it with me especially during field training with each mat taken by dirty boots. I made the first of a full set of trashable floor mats.

Already kinda dingy, but why make it worse? (crappy cell phone pics)

Went to walmart and bought a roll of trunk mat replacement rubber. Spread it out face up and lay your OE mats on top, again face up. Trace the shape onto the rubber and cut the roll of rubber to exact or close to OE size and shape.

Then at walmart again, or whatever fabric you choose, I got a roll of replacement automotive floor carpeting. Spread that out face down and place your template rubber matting on top of it, again face down.

This time trace the shape approx 1 inch in excess to your rubber template.

Break out that sewing machine and stitch it up. Pin the mat to the carpeting in mult areas on each end to keep the positioning of both pieces in place. I started sewing the straight ends to get the four corners permanently attached in the correct positioning w/ a straight stitch format. Then went back, aligned up nicely, and finished the curves and corners. On the curves just snip the carpet and fold over itself to keep a clean non bulky curved stitch.

Afterwards I went over the straight stitch w/ a tighter zig zag stitch for strength and longevity. Thread used was a nylon type.

What I came up with

Rubber nubs on bottom to keep in place.

In the car

Next up is to make the other mats front, back, and for the boot.

Then I'll fab up a foot plate and affix it to the mat replacing this look...?aluminum or stainless?

OE mats are $120ish. I spent less than $25 on materials for a full set plus some

Last edited by vernk; 11-25-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
sweet, can you make a set in tan please?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 e500 4matic
I'm sure we could work something out