E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Considering a used 2003 E320 with a interesting issue

Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Considering a used 2003 E320 with a interesting issue

Like the title says I'm finding interest in this rather good looking 2003 E320 but am a little hesitant after i test drove the car. The problem is rather unique and I couldn't find anything remotely similar on the forums so I figure I'll start a thread and hopefully you guys get to persuade me in getting this car.

The engine has a huge delay in reeving. The throttle behaves very unresponsive and lagging. For example the car sits in park and with the engine running while on the accelerator (all the way) after 2 to 3 seconds the engine starts to accelerate in slow increments and this also persists while driving. Car idles and drives fine when its going and the engine pulls quite well but it is a bit of a concern especially when taking left turns with the opposing traffic. It feels as you would just barely step on the accelerator to only incense the RPM's slowly to red line.

I'm hoping this is a small reprogramming fix with the accelerator and the drive by wire system and not a major engine problem.

I've also noticed intermediate ticking coming from the front of the right valve cover, probably just a sticky lifter. Could this be a potential problem without taking the valve cover off and looking lifter wear? Is the ticking common or are these engines known for low oil pressures and lifter wear?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Coja; 01-21-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Can you verify that this car has not been underwater ... literally, not figuratively. Me ... I'd look elsewhere and in any event I'd avoid '03 model year E-class.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
+1 on avoiding the 2003 E-class, try to get a facelift W211 if you can - far less issues and more reliable meaning less $ down the line. I would have the car checked out, it sounds like a possible transmission or ECU/TCU issue which is almost always VERY expensive to fix on these vehciles. If you end up buying the car in this unsafe state and having to do something like a transmission rebuild, well that extra money is probably enough to get you an 07+ E-Class lacking many of the problems including the horrible SBC brake system on 2003-2006 models. Could be a problem with the drive-by-wire system or any component to the engine itself... check the title make sure it hasn't been listed as salvage as food damage to electronics can be a real possibility.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-22-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 AM

MB
Originally Posted by Heatwave
Can you verify that this car has not been underwater ... literally, not figuratively. Me ... I'd look elsewhere and in any event I'd avoid '03 model year E-class.
There were no indications of water damage, no odor or signs. No flood damage on carfax. I do read that the 03 models are problematic, this car may come at a bargain price.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Bargain price is a term that is masquerading the amount of money you will have to put into this "bargain" vehicle if it has a major issue or any more issues down the line. Save yourself now, or just look at the issues that one of our (retired) members VettDvr had with his 03 E-Class.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 AM

MB
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Bargain price is a term that is masquerading the amount of money you will have to put into this "bargain" vehicle if it has a major issue or any more issues down the line. Save yourself now, or just look at the issues that one of our (retired) members VettDvr had with his 03 E-Class.
I agree with you on that, it is a huge gamble buying a car as is without at least hooking it up to DAS.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Drop $125 on an inspection at a MB dealer.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM

2003 E320
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Drop $125 on an inspection at a MB dealer.
What he said.

I have an 03 and knew I was going to have issues, so I invested in a warentee, Cost 2200 dollars and they have paid out 13,400 dollars in repairs. I purchased the car for 14 or so.

So buy it sure, but a make sure its in perfect shape, and get a warentee, there at the age where things will break and wear, and need replacement.

Mine has 83K miles
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
The clicking noise may just be the purge valve

Mine makes that noise. sometimes a little sometimes a lot. See this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-included.html

As for the the throttle response, the throttle position sensor may be part of the problem. Get an inspection before you buy. If it is slow to respond even in Park, at least you know it is less likely to be the transmission.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM

MB
Originally Posted by ozusa
Mine makes that noise. sometimes a little sometimes a lot. See this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-included.html

As for the the throttle response, the throttle position sensor may be part of the problem. Get an inspection before you buy. If it is slow to respond even in Park, at least you know it is less likely to be the transmission.
I was able to isolate the problem when I test drove the car, the ticking lifter noise comes from the drivers side cylinder head.
Its less likely to be a transmission problem, it might be a TPS sensor but there are no indicators to confirm that other than the symptom i described. I realize i will need to take the car into the shop but i was hoping i could gather some info and use it to my advantage with the dealer upfront as opposed to having some skin into it (payed 125 for an inspection) in which case the dealer has the upper hand.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
If you're hearing ticking it could be a knock sensor or something as you had stated but the best bet for that is a faulty Coil-On-Plug assembly as they tend to wear out after a few years not causing proper ignition. If it were that, there should be an OBD-II code generated for that but typically no check engine light.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 AM

2006 E500
2003....Run away Coja, try to get something 2006 or later
Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Run,, I sold my 03 E500 at 128,000 miles and the list of failures and cost to repair is way more than you will ever pay for the car you are testing.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
...the 'vett'eran chimes in =) I agree 100% just from listening to his stories. No issues with the facelift model. How has the Chrysler been treating you Vett?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
^ Have a feeling this user is a bot, he has just copied and pasted parts of responses or given overly generic answers >.>
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
...the 'vett'eran chimes in =) I agree 100% just from listening to his stories. No issues with the facelift model. How has the Chrysler been treating you Vett?
off topic.

The 5.7 hemi is very smooth about 40 hp more than the E500 and 40# more torque. Zero defects after 3 weeks. The MB had been back twice by this time. Wife really likes the car and have 6/72 warranty so I have no plans to work on it.

I'm still around and will still help others driving MB. I just won't be driving one. Once an Engineer always one.
Attached Thumbnails Considering a used 2003 E320 with a interesting issue-outside.jpg   Considering a used 2003 E320 with a interesting issue-inside.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 AM

MB
After all you guys managed to persuade me to consider otherwise, so much for a cheap E320. Since we're off topic anyway I'd like to mention that today I had a change of heart and started taking a close look at a 2005 S500. I know this is a wrong post for discussion but I'm learning the ins and ends of the Airmatic system, pretty interesting stuff.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
If you had your heart almost set on an E320, the 2007+ E350/E550 would suit your needs just without many of the issues of the pre-facelift. But the S-Class is a world-class vehicle regardless, and the main thing with AirMatic is even though it is prone to failure, once you replace the struts with Arnott Industries life-time warranty struts, you don't have to worry.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 AM

MB
If you had your heart almost set on an E320, the 2007+ E350/E550 would suit your needs just without many of the issues of the pre-facelift. But the S-Class is a world-class vehicle regardless, and the main thing with AirMatic is even though it is prone to failure, once you replace the struts with Arnott Industries life-time warranty struts, you don't have to worry.
Thanks for that, from what i read those cost an arm and a leg for parts&labor.
I'm still researching all the pros and cons about the S500 to see what I'm really getting into besides an expensive air ride.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 AM

190e 2.6 Sportline
I just recently purchased a 2003 E320 and am wondering what problems you guys are talking about that this year was prone to? Im coming from a W201/W204 just needed something with a bit more room while doing an overhaul on the W201. Only thing ive found with it is the slow sputter that seems to be in all the W211s. Other then that car drives amazing.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I just replaced my rear two for $600 parts + $400 labor, not too bad in my opinion but that was only because I hit a curb in the ice and damaged a rear air strut. As long as you get a 500/500 as you are aware (either an S or E class) then you will have the possibility of failure but once you replace these wear parts - face it every car has to have suspension/strut replacement at one point or another - then you can get lifetime warranty air shocks. The Arnotts are also a lot easier to install due to their design so you will save on labor as well.

@jquiroz There are many issues with the 03 models, just look at VettDvr's car. The issues include the SBC braking system - the pump can fail and cause brake failure or extremely reduced braking, there have been issues with some of the cheap wiring harnesses they have used, I can name a few members that have had some BCM issues or parasitic drains on their battery due to the Chinese-built electronics (or other failures), they had problems with glycol leaking into the transmission fluid and ruining several components, a lot of things to list here. Just look for some of vettdvr's previous posts and his repair list it was very extensive. A lot of these issues were eliminated by the facelift W211 but 03 was not a good year in general. Not to say that your car will experience these issues, however, these are just a plethora of complaints from early W211 owners whereas I am sure some are (and will be) fine. So it's no guarantee of your cars future failure or good performance.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 01-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
MY 2003/04 E320 4matic experience, for what it's worth...

Originally Posted by jquiroz1969
I just recently purchased a 2003 E320 and am wondering what problems you guys are talking about that this year was prone to? Im coming from a W201/W204 just needed something with a bit more room while doing an overhaul on the W201. Only thing ive found with it is the slow sputter that seems to be in all the W211s. Other then that car drives amazing.
To the extent that one person's experience says anything.......

I have a late 2003-built W211 4matic sedan with 129K miles. I have owned the current one for a year. I owned an almost identical one a few years ago, too.

I'm happy.

I replaced all disks and pads myself. They were overdue for it. Your car has the SBC brake system. It has it's challenges and you should anticipate the potential, but not the certainty, that it will need replacement. Mine works fine, but I can understand the views of those for whom that has not always been true.

I've replaced two side marker lights myself. Easy.

It's had two oil changes and air filters for the engine and the cabin air. All by choice and easy to do.

I had all transmission, filter, diff and transfer case fluids replaced y an Indie. That solved a surging problem at low speed due to insufficient trans fluid and was good maintenance anyway. If your transmission had the glycol problem, I think it would have evidenced itself by now.

I had a Check Engine Light. It was self-induced by carelessness when I changed the spark plugs and wires. I knocked loose a vacuum pipe and took months to realize exactly what I'd done but it was 3 seconds to fix once I found it hanging loose behind the headlight. I'd been looking in all the wrong places.

Your car probably does not have the airmatic suspension. That makes ownership of an E320 a little easier than owning an E500. That said, you will need to expect ball-joint replacements and some front-end work from time to time.

A car of the age of yours may need battery replacement at some point, depending on the actions taken by previous owners. I suggest you learn where the front battery is and how easy it is to replace and also learn where the rear battery is. And learn how to check the voltage of each. That way you'll know a little of what to do if a problem comes along. The threads on batteries on this forum are way too long to digest when you actually have a problem.

Expect to change the heater valve if your car seem too cool. There's a DIY for it on this forum.