E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
When I finished filling up I noticed a puddle of liquid dripping from the rear passanger side bumper. Possible fuel leak? Will post pics later.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 PM

2003 E500
It did not start dripping until it was completely full.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class-20120522_071720.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:24 PM

E320 2004
PB62

Thank you for posting this message. It appears that this is a very common problem that has affected or will almost invariably affect most owners of W211 E Class cars. I drive a 2004 model E320 and have experienced the same issue described in detail by others in this forum. After filling up the fuel tank to full capacity I have first detected a strong smell of fuel inside the cabin and then gasoline fumes were also emanating from the rear left wheel well. The plastic cover of the fuel sender unit on the driver's side contained about 200 cc of leaked gasoline. The dealer declined to cover the cost of replacing the sender unit and fuel tank and offered only a 25% of good faith discount that would still amount to about $2000 in repair cost. This is an egregious manufacturer's design flow and material defect that causes an indisputable fire hazard and inhalation of toxic gasoline vapors by the occupants of the car. I can not believe this is happening with a Mercedes. I have filed a formal complaint with the NHTSA today.

Originally Posted by BBBSS
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...leaks-e55.html

This involves all W211 E Class cars as they have all had problems with leaking fuel sending units and tanks. The National Highway Transportation Safety Authority has a CURRENTLY OPEN INVESTIGATION in regards to these problems and we need anyone that has not yet filed a complaint with NHTSA to do so ASAP.

Mercedes is finally being forced to answer to this problem and the NHTSA needs to know the scope of this problem. There is a good chance that a safety recall may come from this so action is needed from anyone that has not reported their failures yet.

COMPLAINTS CAN BE FILED HERE: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Reference NHTSA Action Number: PE12001.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM

E320
Any status updates on this.... The check engine light being on is getting annoying haha.... I just dread going to the dealer I know they are going to tell me to get a new tank....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2007 E550 4matic
I'm still slightly shocked that the W211s have fuel leakage issues. In my 25 years of owning cars, I've never had a car with fuel issues like this. The closest would be failures of integrated sender/fuel level assemblies, but those never caused external leaks--they simply failed and stopped functioning.

It seems like the W211 has leakage problems with all major components: the tank, the sender unit, and the various vapor recovery assemblies.

This seems like it could develop into really bad PR for Mercedes if these problems become widely known.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 W212 | 2016 W205
Does it affect diesel models too?

I usually fill mine up to the brim and i don't get any leakage problems.

Why don't you just take your car to an engineering firm, or a business that does welding they can remove your tank, pressure test it and spot weld any holes?

Thats what i'd be doing instead of going back to the dealer and paying stupid amounts of money.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM

2009 E350
does this involve 09 e350?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Update:

Someone had a meeting with Mercedes Benz. 5.22.2012
Perhaps the incident in Australia had something to do with it????

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...2001-51394.pdf

Last edited by moosejaw; 05-24-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Update:

Someone had a meeting with Mercedes Benz. 5.22.2012
Perhaps the incident in Australia had something to do with it????

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...2001-51394.pdf
I see MB sent 8 people there including 2 lawyers. I wonder what transpired.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM

2007 E550 4matic
The memo to file is dated 5/22/12, but only documents a meeting held on 4/13/12. This is normal agency procedure--they attempt to document all meetings in an effort to avoid accusations of inappropriate ex parte communications.

Wasn't 4/13/12 prior to the long reply submitted by MB's counsel? The one stating that nothing is wrong with the W211's fuel system, or in the alternative that dealers are breaking things while performing repairs.

Last edited by Kwijibo; 05-24-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 PM

2007 E550 4matic
I removed the fuel sender access panel to investigate my fuel smell. I've attached a photo of what I found. I assume all the dark-stained plastic is where gasoline has leaked in the past.

There is no damage on this part at all--it has merely failed! It appears whatever material MB used degrades from contact with gasoline.

What are my repair options? It looks like I have leakage not only around the perimeter (a new seal might fix this), but also from the electrical connector in the center of the unit (there is no separate seal, a new sender appears to be the only fix).

I previously opened a complaint with NHTSA. Is there any way to add this photo to my complaint? The MB response mentioned that human perception of gasoline fumes was more acute than the allowable vapor release. This is no mere vapor release--this is a leak!
Attached Thumbnails URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class-fuel-leak.jpg  

Last edited by Kwijibo; 06-10-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Kwijibo
I removed the fuel sender access panel to investigate my fuel smell. I've attached a photo of what I found. I assume all the dark-stained plastic is where gasoline has leaked in the past.

There is no damage on this part at all--it has merely failed! It appears whatever material MB used degrades from contact with gasoline.

What are my repair options? It looks like I have leakage not only around the perimeter (a new seal might fix this), but also from the electrical connector in the center of the unit (there is no separate seal, a new sender appears to be the only fix).

I previously opened a complaint with NHTSA. Is there any way to add this photo to my complaint? The MB response mentioned that human perception of gasoline fumes was more acute than the allowable vapor release. This is no mere vapor release--this is a leak!
WOW!!! Now even the post-facelift cars are having this issue??? Scary. I had thought they had a different fuel tank design (with the fuel pump built in or something) and I always assumed it was cause they knew of the "problem" with the old design and changed it without acknowledging their old problem.

I would just start with new seals (as I did). My indy said the next thing he would do is the hoses or something that go from the tank. He said if that didn't fix it, he would have to go to for the sending units and the entire tank
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 AM

2003 E500, 2004 G35X

I would suggest that you file a new complaint and attached your photo with it. Thank you very much for your effort to get the NHTSA to act more positively to this serious issue that affect all MB owners.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350

About your picture: I see two discolorations on your sending unit. One is black ... and looks like it might be wet gasoline. The other is brownish orange ... and looks like it might be a stain from prior contact with gasoline. Am I misreading or misunderstanding the evidence?

Evidence of gasoline getting to the outside of the sending unit should prompt MB to take effective action to cure this problem. Right now, this is merely an engineering/design/manufacturing/installation problem. They don't want it to become a legal problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM

2007 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Heatwave
About your picture: I see two discolorations on your sending unit. One is black ... and looks like it might be wet gasoline. The other is brownish orange ... and looks like it might be a stain from prior contact with gasoline. Am I misreading or misunderstanding the evidence?

Evidence of gasoline getting to the outside of the sending unit should prompt MB to take effective action to cure this problem. Right now, this is merely an engineering/design/manufacturing/installation problem. They don't want it to become a legal problem.
The black discoloration on the locking ring is a combination of dirt and gasoline. It was not "wet," I'd say it was mostly grimy. The two clean spots are where I used my fingers to test the ring for at least hand-tightness.

I also see evidence to the rear of the sending unit that gasoline has flowed on the surface of the gas tank itself--some of the dirt is dislodged in a liquid flow shape. It appears the external tank flow matches exactly with the stain from the locking ring.

I assume the orange discoloration is the result of contact with gasoline. What has me mostly concerned is that the leak does not seem to be limited to the seal perimeter or the high-pressure outlet. I see evidence of leakage from the top of the foreground electrical connector.

I also checked the passenger-side unit. Since it has a different function, the physical appearance is completely different from the driver-side unit. There appear to be no issues on the passenger-side--the area is completely dry with no evidence of past leakage.

Last edited by Kwijibo; 06-11-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:54 PM

Mercedes E-350
About to purchase E350

This is my first post to MBWorld. I have been researching issues with 2009 E 350 before making an offer. This thread was disconcerting, but I am very appreciative of the info and have learned a lot. One thing I gleaned from the discussions was to request a pre-purchase inspection. I'd like to have them check the fuel sender unit. If it has a problem should I walk away or see if they will replace? Even if the dlr replaces parts, aren't they simply replacing the defectiveparts (if damage not caused by ethanol) with parts having the same problem? Is there anything else I should prepare to ask them to inspect? Thank you for the sage advice.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM

2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by westtexgal
This is my first post to MBWorld. I have been researching issues with 2009 E 350 before making an offer. This thread was disconcerting, but I am very appreciative of the info and have learned a lot. One thing I gleaned from the discussions was to request a pre-purchase inspection. I'd like to have them check the fuel sender unit. If it has a problem should I walk away or see if they will replace? Even if the dlr replaces parts, aren't they simply replacing the defectiveparts (if damage not caused by ethanol) with parts having the same problem? Is there anything else I should prepare to ask them to inspect? Thank you for the sage advice.
It would not surprise me if the dealer would just tell you that the system is OK without inspecting it and send you on your merry way, seriously.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Mercedes E-350
Fuel Leak Dealer Response So Far

Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
It would not surprise me if the dealer would just tell you that the system is OK without inspecting it and send you on your merry way, seriously.
Just got back from the dealer. I showed them the NHTSA letter dated 4/13/2012. They agreed to top off the tank and check for a gas odor or leak while I'm there. They also offered to replace a rear tire with 5/10th tread remaining. The other rear tire still had 8/10th. The front tires are new. They also offered a full inspection and for me to talk with their senior MB mechanic of 40 years. The salesman emailed me with a statement from the mechanic that "the E class has been the most problem free car they have had". Wonder if he's ever worked on Hondas. I'm keeping an open mind but haven't opened my wallet just yet. Thanks much.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by westtexgal
Just got back from the dealer. I showed them the NHTSA letter dated 4/13/2012. They agreed to top off the tank and check for a gas odor or leak while I'm there. They also offered to replace a rear tire with 5/10th tread remaining. The other rear tire still had 8/10th. The front tires are new. They also offered a full inspection and for me to talk with their senior MB mechanic of 40 years. The salesman emailed me with a statement from the mechanic that "the E class has been the most problem free car they have had". Wonder if he's ever worked on Hondas. I'm keeping an open mind but haven't opened my wallet just yet. Thanks much.
WOW! "statement from the mechanic that "the E class has been the most problem free car they have had"

Now with that statement I would question the mechanic's experience. He must be talking warranty claims on 2012.

Airmatic, SBC,, Air Springs, $1000 shocks. Fuel leaks, and the list goes on.!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 AM

2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by vettdvr
WOW! "statement from the mechanic that "the E class has been the most problem free car they have had"

Now with that statement I would question the mechanic's experience. He must be talking warranty claims on 2012.

Airmatic, SBC,, Air Springs, $1000 shocks. Fuel leaks, and the list goes on.!
Ditto! I have a folder almost an inch thick regarding warranty service during the first 3 years after purchase. You name it, I had mine replaced or serviced. As a matter of fact, the day I picked up the car in 11/2002, when I started the car, the checked engine light came on!!! It was a fuel sending unit that had to replaced. Mine was the most problematic car I ever owned plus the dearler service dept was imcompetant. Many problems had to serviced at least twice!

MB refused to acknowledge the gas odor problem and only NHTSA can make MB do it.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by vettdvr
WOW! "...a statement from the mechanic that "the E class has been the most problem free car they have had"
Unbelieveable! The E Class in general over the years, maybe... the 211? absolutely an outright lie. The 211 overall lost them money, respect and customers. Big damage to the brand. (Remember the 211s caused MB to fall to dead last from near the top in JD Powers) Many parts failures, erratic behavior of all electrics, not a great 7 spd transmission. The car is solidly assembled, but everything in the early ones (<06) was extremely problematic &/or cheaply designed or sourced.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 06-20-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
Many problems had to serviced at least twice!
Same here. Motor mounts broke a second time and the heat change over valve needs to be replaced again. both within 100K miles
Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM

2007 E550 4matic
I replaced my driver's-side sender unit today. I tend to suspect that getting MB to admit fault and pay for all W211 fuel leaks is going to take a long time and I really didn't want to live with the fuel smell till that happens.

It's not a huge job to perform and took me slightly more than one hour. I'd say the special locking ring tool is almost a must--I can't imagine getting those off without the tool. I also replaced the seals on both units--the old seals were white, the new seals were green.

I'll conduct a postmortem on the old sender unit to see what really failed.

I've filled the tank and I no longer smell fuel. Hopefully this will remain fixed for a while.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class-fuel-fixed.jpg  
Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 PM

mercedes benz CLS
the best way is always check the fuel sending unit if it is still in good condition, sometimes the fuel runs out fast but when you really check it, it still full or still have more fuel. Or sometimes the problem is there is a leak that's a very dangerous matter.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Mercedes E-350
I replaced my driver's-side sender unit today. ... I've filled the tank and I no longer smell fuel. Hopefully this will remain fixed for a while.
You make it sound easy. Was it difficult to access the unit? I'm going to ask the MB dealer to check out the one on a used car tomorrow and want to sound somewhat intelligient regarding the amount effort it should take them to do. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class