Sat Radio "updated stations"; now stuck and "acquiring signal"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Sat Radio "updated stations"; now stuck and "acquiring signal"

I was driving to work this morning, and the radio went into the "Updating stations" mode. The only time I've seen that before was when my subscription ran out and it kicked me back to the preview channel. This time, my subscription still has 5 months on it. While it was doing this, I was still able to listen to the channel I had it originally tuned to. Unfortunately, I drove into my parking garage before it quit. After 9 hours at work, I left the parking garage and it just stayed on the "Acquiring signal" for my 25 minute commute. I was still able to listen to channel it was stuck on , and I tried powering off the COMAND, switching to CD player, radio, etc. Everything else works fine except for the Sat, which just continues to show "Acquiring Signal" and play my one stuck channel.

So I'm still stuck in this mode. I tried sending a signal refresh per SirusXM's instructions, but that didn't seem to change anything. Anyone have an idea of how to force a reset or do anything else?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 P1 Sport Pkg, 1993 BMW 325is, 2000 Tacoma PreRunner V6, 2008 Porsche Cayman S
I had the same problem this morning, I thought they are having a promo week. But fortunately, after 10 hrs. of being stucked to one channel, my radio is back to normal
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by m103-w124
I had the same problem this morning, I thought they are having a promo week. But fortunately, after 10 hrs. of being stucked to one channel, my radio is back to normal
Mine went back to saying I was unsubscribed this morning , I called and tried to send a refresh, but it didn't get there before I arrived at work. SiriusXM won't last beyond their first generation of Satellites, with mobile data networks becoming so fast, they're doomed, and it couldn't happen to a better company.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
I was driving to work this morning, and the radio went into the "Updating stations" mode. The only time I've seen that before was when my subscription ran out and it kicked me back to the preview channel. This time, my subscription still has 5 months on it. While it was doing this, I was still able to listen to the channel I had it originally tuned to. Unfortunately, I drove into my parking garage before it quit. After 9 hours at work, I left the parking garage and it just stayed on the "Acquiring signal" for my 25 minute commute. I was still able to listen to channel it was stuck on , and I tried powering off the COMAND, switching to CD player, radio, etc. Everything else works fine except for the Sat, which just continues to show "Acquiring Signal" and play my one stuck channel.

So I'm still stuck in this mode. I tried sending a signal refresh per SirusXM's instructions, but that didn't seem to change anything. Anyone have an idea of how to force a reset or do anything else?
Search for "Problem with SDARS". Its a little lower down in the posts. It is over a year old, but was picked up again yesterday because the same problem still exists and people are still searching for a solution.

Look here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...rs-sirius.html

Basicially this is how it happens:

1. Our Sat radio system was designed to handle about 140 stations.

2. When Sirius does a free preview week, they push thru about 160 stations free.

3. Our radios don't know where to place all that additional data so it puts it everywhere and it gags and locks up, displaying the freak out screen with your EIN and their phone number, and remains locked on the last station you were listening to.

4. Mercedes service departments claim they have never heard of this, so they blame it on Sirius. Sirius phone reps have never heard of this, so they blame it on a broken radio. MB service department will rip your car apart, pulling the headliner out, checking the antenna connections etc. according to their repair flow chart, and then the last thing on their list says to replace the radio. This usually happens after the free listening week is over and there are only 140 stations streaming to your radio so it knows how to present them without locking up... after Mercedes has wasted a ton of Tech time & warranty money. Not to mention tearing up my car. Most of the time the SDARS unit gets trashed/locked up permanently.

Supposedly Sirius has a software solution, but it has never been implemented.

I called MBUSA in NJ & politely explained that this problem has been going on for years, and it must cost them thousands, and they escalated it yesterday. I have since gotten a call from a higher up at Sirius who promised to solve the problem & call me back today.

That in a nutshell is the whole problem. Politely call MBUSA and explain the problem to them and ask for their help. If you explain the problem as above, they will know they know what you are talking about.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 04-11-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Search for "Problem with SDARS". Its a little lower down in the posts. It is over a year old, but was picked up again yesterday because the same problem still exists and people are still searching for a solution.

Look here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...rs-sirius.html

Basicially this is how it happens:

1. Our Sat radio system was designed to handle about 140 stations.

2. When Sirius does a free preview week, they push thru about 160 stations free.

3. Our radios don't know where to place all that additional data so it puts it everywhere and it gags and locks up, displaying the freak out screen with your EIN and their phone number, and remains locked on the last station you were listening to.

4. Mercedes service departments claim they have never heard of this, so they blame it on Sirius. Sirius phone reps have never heard of this, so they blame it on a broken radio. MB service department will rip your car apart, pulling the headliner out, checking the antenna connections etc. according to their repair flow chart, and then the last thing on their list says to replace the radio. This usually happens after the free listening week is over and there are only 140 stations streaming to your radio so it knows how to present them without locking up... after Mercedes has wasted a ton of Tech time & warranty money. Not to mention tearing up my car. Most of the time the SDARS unit gets trashed/locked up permanently.

Supposedly Sirius has a software solution, but it has never been implemented.

I called MBUSA in NJ & politely explained that this problem has been going on for years, and it must cost them thousands, and they escalated it yesterday. I have since gotten a call from a higher up at Sirius who promised to solve the problem & call me back today.

That in a nutshell is the whole problem. Politely call MBUSA and explain the problem to them and ask for their help. If you explain the problem as above, they will know they know what you are talking about.
Barry,

Thanks for the input. Can you keep us posted on what they say when they call you, and also share the number you called to explain the problem? I have one of the newer SDARS units (I had to purchase a replacement due the PO selling mine on ebay or something), so I would expect it has the last version of the firmware they released. In all honesty, it's out of a 2010 or so SLK, but the model number is exactly the same.

Edit: Also, can't we just call Sirius and explain to them NOT to authorize our ESN for this 160 channel free preview? I feel like that company is mickey mouse amateur hour.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After going through the basic troubleshooting with Sirius, they sent me on to a higher tier of tech support. They explained that they did something that screwed up a lot of the factory radios in Mercedes a couple of days ago and they were trying to figure it out, but had no ETA on when it would be fixed. They told me that the missing days of service would be tacked onto the end of my contract. I'm getting the feeling they may have bricked several thousand radios at once, and this better not cost me money to fix..
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
After going through the basic troubleshooting with Sirius, they sent me on to a higher tier of tech support. They explained that they did something that screwed up a lot of the factory radios in Mercedes a couple of days ago and they were trying to figure it out, but had no ETA on when it would be fixed. They told me that the missing days of service would be tacked onto the end of my contract. I'm getting the feeling they may have bricked several thousand radios at once, and this better not cost me money to fix..
They KNOW what they did.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They KNOW what they did.
Yea, it sounds like they're not working on a fix, they're just waiting for the free preview to expire. So basically everytime they do a free preview for 1 month (about four time a year), my satellite radio won't work until it's over? This is the sort of thing that breeds lawsuits.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM

2011 E-350 Cab. CPO 10/2013
Barry,

Thanks for the input. Can you keep us posted on what they say when they call you, and also share the number you called to explain the problem? I have one of the newer SDARS units (I had to purchase a replacement due the PO selling mine on ebay or something), so I would expect it has the last version of the firmware they released. In all honesty, it's out of a 2010 or so SLK, but the model number is exactly the same.

Edit: Also, can't we just call Sirius and explain to them NOT to authorize our ESN for this 160 channel free preview? I feel like that company is mickey mouse amateur hour.
I have the exact same problem with my Sirius unit this week. M-B Dealer replaced the unit today and check all the circuits. . still doesn't work. And I lost the last working channel. Back to square one. Customer service at Sirius is
terrible, could nearly understand that they were saying. After 4 telecoms with customer service and two with the ,so called, tech reps. I just gave up....try again tomorrow..."Hope springs Eternal"

Last edited by XXBogey; 04-13-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Data Addition...2008 E-350 4Matic Sport CPO (2 months old)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by XXBogey
I have the exact same problem with my Sirius unit this week. M-B Dealer replaced the unit today and check all the circuits. . still doesn't work. And I lost the last working channel. Back to square one. Customer service at Sirius is
terrible, could nearly understand that they were saying. After 4 telecoms with customer service and two with the ,so called, tech reps. I just gave up....try again tomorrow..."Hope springs Eternal"
The reason you lost the "last channel listened to" is because they swapped you SDARS receiver out snd there was no channel last listened to, just the "prieview channel".

Yeah, the phone ops at Sirius know absolutely nothing other than how to read a script to hang onto a cancelling subscriber, or how to send an activation signal. Period.

I can't believe that they are not briefed on a massive screw up they continue to dump on MB owners over and over again... and I don't expect the radios to work properly again until the free listening period is over... and then many of our radios will be bricked & have to be swapped out.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid... and incredibly poor service from Sirius.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 04-13-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I just got off the phone with the Sirius "support". I agree. I do not see how they could be more worthless! This time they denied there was a problem and would not escalate me to a higher level. I was promised that somebody from a higher level would call me but they never have in the past and I do not expect it now. How can a company like this stay in business?

I keep asking myself, "Is it time to cancel?"
Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by pfphipps
I just got off the phone with the Sirius "support". I agree. I do not see how they could be more worthless! ... How can a company like this stay in business?
That's what happens when they're the only game in town.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM

E320CDI
SIRIUS

ANYONE GETTING A "NO SATELLITE SIGNAL" ON THEIR COMMAND SCREEN ?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's what happens when they're the only game in town.
I've given up and will be cancelling my service.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM

E320CDI
sirius

Can anyone say LAWSUIT ?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by skippert
Can anyone say LAWSUIT ?
Hang in there. I have reason to believe there will be a definitive resolution coming.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Hang in there. I have reason to believe there will be a definitive resolution coming.
Come on....GIVE US A CLUE!!!!
THANKS!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM

E320CDI
XM

anyone try to get on to the Cartronics site ?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM

E320CDI
XM SUPPORT

They are SO full of "?:>(XM) I finally hung up after hearing the same ol' song and dance. I waited several weeks for the last fix, supposedly Cartronics was helping them come up with fix. Anyone have a number straight to the right person to talk to at Sirius ?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM

04 E500
Don't think they'll get much help from Cartronics. https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...cs-closed.html
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DanG2
Don't think they'll get much help from Cartronics. https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...cs-closed.html
Yea, I wish they were still open. I dragged my feet on buying their bluetooth module (which allows streaming of music for things like pandora), but now it's gone or selling for $400+ on eBay. Seemed like a solid company with a lot of R&D already invested, such a same that someone wasn't able to sustain it after the owner passed.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Sat radio is working!!

Yea, I wish they were still open. I dragged my feet on buying their bluetooth module (which allows streaming of music for things like pandora), but now it's gone or selling for $400+ on eBay. Seemed like a solid company with a lot of R&D already invested, such a same that someone wasn't able to sustain it after the owner passed.
After 12 days of no service, a dealer radio replacement with no results, MY RADIO started working at approx. 1:30 EDT. Amazing!!! Here's hoping its permanent
Old 04-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Mine still is "acquiring", no change. Getting a little disgusted with this!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 PM

My radio started working @ 1:30 EDT. Lost all pre-sets with the replacement module, but able to tune all stations. Amazing, hope it continues to work.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by pfphipps
Mine still is "acquiring", no change. Getting a little disgusted with this!
So damn frustrating...I've had been an XM customer for over 6 years with never a problem with any vehicle. Sirius could learn a lesson from XM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sat Radio "updated stations"; now stuck and "acquiring signal"