i have 05 W211

3 malfunction showed all the time
- ESP defective
- ABS Defective
- Brake service - visit to workshop

Steering wheel become heavier at parking & low speed

already tried to MB dealer and independent dealer, scan with star diagnosis
they said ESP module need to replace

but the price very expensive and need order almost 1 month so wanna try other choice beside replace the esp module

i already read several thread and try :
turning the wheel all the way to left and right still no luck...

wanna try change the brake light switch (but all my brake lamps work normal), is it worth to try in my case?

also is it possible the battery ? (if i scan with star diagnosis and my battery really need to replace, will it show in diagnosis?)

any help will appreciate it...

thanks all
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by bholawz
hi all,
i have 05 W211

- ESP defective
- ABS Defective

but the price very expensive and need order almost 1 month so wanna try other choice beside replace the esp module

wanna try change the brake light switch (but all my brake lamps work normal), is it worth to try in my case?

also is it possible the battery ? (if i scan with star diagnosis and my battery really need to replace, will it show in diagnosis?)

thanks all
Welcome to the world of MB ownership. For these brake issues I think you need to be nice to the dealer and open your wallet.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Did you recently disconnect the battery?
You did the right thing by turning the wheel full L&R
ABS you can get rid of by driving a few feet

Battery Voltage shows up in the cluster when you enter dyno mode.
All thought i would rather test it myself using a volt meter.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
anybody can help....
thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Which move point A to point B.
Help there,

Same problem here. Mine one came on only when I drive over 30 kmh. When the light on steering heavier n break seems to loose. However, I did not fine the clue yet. But found the handful of clues.

Break light switch (mine is working)
Low voltage (mine is working)
Steering angle sensor (need to check)
Speed sensor (tech said they r fine)
Abs fuse relay (need to check)
Other than tha? Then traction control. Price between 1000 n 1500 if I m not wrong. Heard some dealers were con artist n asked for 3400 (watch out for that)

I don't know if the wheels set up is related or not mine running 20 front n 22 rear. Tech said nothing to concern. Some of the MBW users said that it is! Some said nope.

Long story short. Still no luck.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM

W211
Originally Posted by crazyfox
Help there,

Same problem here. Mine one came on only when I drive over 30 kmh. When the light on steering heavier n break seems to loose. However, I did not fine the clue yet. But found the handful of clues.

Other than tha? Then traction control. Price between 1000 n 1500 if I m not wrong. Heard some dealers were con artist n asked for 3400 (watch out for that)

I don't know if the wheels set up is related or not mine running 20 front n 22 rear. Tech said nothing to concern. Some of the MBW users said that it is! Some said nope.

hi hows ur car today ?
sorry for late reply...

i still have same problem...

but right now i just received the esp unit (used one)with the same exact serial number from ebay germany..

mapped with w211 e320, mine is w211 e240.... seller said the esp compatible and just need to reprogram it...

but i already tried for 2 days straight still no luck

is it true that i can use the esp from w211 e320 to my car (w211 e240?) as long the serial number is match?

thanks a lot guys
Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Our earth is round and although I would love to see it flat, that ain't going to happen.------Like in your case, the car was quick tested and a module found defective, you can whine about it and hope it changes, it won't it is a bad module.

I guess you have three choices---drive the car, put the car on blocks, drive the car to Florida and I will use my DAS Xentry to do a quick test. I charge 40 bucks for the test, bring a USB stick and I will give you a copy.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM

2006 E350, 2012 CLS 550, 2008 R350 4matic
hi all,
i have 05 W211

- ESP defective
- ABS Defective

thanks all
same thing happened to me SBC pump took a **** on you, its covered under warranty 10 years unlimited miles, they gotta change it and Dont let them tell you different
Old 09-08-2014, 02:47 PM

94 c220 05 e320
w211 05 base RWD

Hi all just wondering if there was a solution to this problem I just had this happens to me but as I was on my way home 5 mins away so I parked and went home slept went to work the next morning and all was fine no messages then 5 days later witch is today I am headed to work and 2 mins away on the Hwy this time last time was getting off the Hwy .... so the messages showed up again in this order esp abs and service bakes visit workshop aka the stealers ..... so everything worked with the messages up but the steering felt heavier stiffer then normal both times same symptoms any help pls thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 PM

2006 E350
Have exactly same problem. Change brake light switch but no success. ESP and ABS error messages on main display. Engine light sometime is on sometimes off although ESP and ABS msgs constant on. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The only correct help will be when you make the decision to spend some money for a factory or equal scan!!----Otherwise my guess is the left front frazit is interacting with the rear zombi causing the dash to light up!!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 PM

2012 ML 350 Bluetec W166
Originally Posted by asfandyarkhanz
Have exactly same problem. Change brake light switch but no success. ESP and ABS error messages on main display. Engine light sometime is on sometimes off although ESP and ABS msgs constant on. Any help would be appreciated!
I just installed a new brake switch I still get esp at times I would have to **** of my car and then turn it back on and when esp comes up I have loss of power as if went in limp mode . I ain't replace steering sensor yet . What can it be car was running fine
Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 e350, 2013 C250, 2004 C320, 2003 C320, 1998 CLK 320
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...noperable.html
Old 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM

e320
Originally Posted by trixs
Hi all just wondering if there was a solution to this problem I just had this happens to me but as I was on my way home 5 mins away so I parked and went home slept went to work the next morning and all was fine no messages then 5 days later witch is today I am headed to work and 2 mins away on the Hwy this time last time was getting off the Hwy .... so the messages showed up again in this order esp abs and service bakes visit workshop aka the stealers ..... so everything worked with the messages up but the steering felt heavier stiffer then normal both times same symptoms any help pls thanks
Did u find the reason?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:17 AM

2012 ML 350 Bluetec W166
I replaced my pedal with a used one of ebay ($50 ) and all is working fine now. thanks everyone for the help/motivation of a DIY
Old 02-19-2018, 06:14 PM

e350 2006 base model
hello guys i have a similar problem my car is acting up pretty crazy i have a 2006 e350
is pretty wierd
my car start pretty good and everything but when it comes to driving my shifter will move to D but wont move at all, i replace the brakeswitch also i replace the trasnmition oil, i tried the left to right wheel , sometimes the car works pretty good , but all of the sudden on the control panel dashboard the* P* and *S* dissaper then the wheel will get pretty hard to move it. also while im driving it does exactly the same and starts jerking really bad when i come to a stop.. im running out solutions i would appreciated any info or input that you guys might have

thank you in advance guys
Old 10-08-2018, 06:30 PM

2006 Mercedes E-350 Base Model
did you get it fixed?

Hey brother did you get the problem fixed I have the same car and year model and the exact things is happening to me just wondering how you fixed it what the problem was and how much?
Originally Posted by gamechanger
hello guys i have a similar problem my car is acting up pretty crazy i have a 2006 e350
is pretty wierd
my car start pretty good and everything but when it comes to driving my shifter will move to D but wont move at all, i replace the brakeswitch also i replace the trasnmition oil, i tried the left to right wheel , sometimes the car works pretty good , but all of the sudden on the control panel dashboard the* P* and *S* dissaper then the wheel will get pretty hard to move it. also while im driving it does exactly the same and starts jerking really bad when i come to a stop.. im running out solutions i would appreciated any info or input that you guys might have

​​​​
Old 10-11-2018, 01:16 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by PurpleS500
I replaced my pedal with a used one of ebay ($50 ) and all is working fine now. thanks everyone for the help/motivation of a DIY
you fixed this brake warning ABS by replacing your pedal ? The rubber pad correct???? Orrrrrrrrrr might you actually mean the brake light switch? How about posting a part number for what you actually replaced.

Last edited by ot1; 10-11-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:21 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Our earth is round and although I would love to see it flat, that ain't going to happen.------Like in your case, the car was quick tested and a module found defective, you can whine about it and hope it changes, it won't it is a bad module.

I guess you have three choices---drive the car, put the car on blocks, drive the car to Florida and I will use my DAS Xentry to do a quick test. I charge 40 bucks for the test, bring a USB stick and I will give you a copy.
i PMed you
Old 10-23-2020, 05:31 PM

2005 E55
hi all,
i have 05 W211

- ESP defective
- ABS Defective

thanks all
Hi good afternoon,

i just signed up because it saw your old post as I was searching an issue that came up this afternoon.
It seems that you had the same exact problem with the three messages and the heavy feel on the front wheels.

I realize this post is old but I was wondering if you were ever able to fix the issue? If so, please share with me. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-24-2020, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Oneandonlybl
Hi good afternoon,

i just signed up because it saw your old post as I was searching an issue that came up this afternoon.
It seems that you had the same exact problem with the three messages and the heavy feel on the front wheels.

I realize this post is old but I was wondering if you were ever able to fix the issue? If so, please share with me. Thanks for your help!
You need to get the car scanned to see exactly what the problem is. Brake light switch, steering angle sensor, wheel speed sensor, magnetic ring, yaw sensor are all possibilities. Getting it scanned will tell you the error code so you can just fix the problem instead of throwing a lot of parts at it. Scanners are cheap now, you can get the Autel AP200 for around $63 on Amazon.

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-23-2023, 07:22 PM

2005 Mercedes E500
Originally Posted by crazyfox
Help there,

If you have 4Matic is does make a difference that all four tires are the same size. Look inside the drivers side door panel for the correct tire size specs.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by 65 MustangMolly
If you have 4Matic is does make a difference that all four tires are the same size. Look inside the drivers side door panel for the correct tire size specs.
You're replying to a guy who had a problem in 2012 and hasn't been on since 2016 so he probably figured it out by now or no longer has the car. One thing in common with all the previous posts is that none of them would get a scanner to see what the real problem was. There's many causes for the ESP error so one fix isn't going to work for everyone. I've had it twice myself, once was the steering angle sensor and the other time was the brake light switch. Scanner told me what it was every time.
The following 2 users liked this post by cetialpha5:
CaliBenzDriver (06-26-2023), narvik (07-14-2023)
Old 03-25-2024, 06:46 AM

w211 e320
Gear shifter control module

Originally Posted by gamechanger
is pretty wierd

Haven’t checked the feed but:
I had this same problem on my w211 e320. After doing lots of research I came to the conclusion it was the gear shifter control module. It’s impossible to diagnose and mechanics would encourage to do an expensive transmission service. Don’t bother, just source the shifter module and replace it. Easy and effective.

oh and try giving the side of the center console a few solid taps where the shifter is. if this helps then voila you have your problem solved.