Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E-500
Will you buy a Mercedes Again?

I have a 2004 E-500 Mercedes and here is my frustration

16000 Miles - Brake Wear - Dealer quoted $1500. Did it DIY
19000 Miles - Tire Wear - Replaced all tires
21000 Miles - Forced dealer to change transmission computer module
35000 Miles - Dealer said rear struts/shocks are leaking and replacement would cost $10000. I asked if they have any conscience to give a quote for $10000 to a person who came for oil change
50000 Miles - Super Hot air blowing in rear (even with AC set to Low)
85000 Miles - Ball Joint needs replacement. Quoted $900. Sears quoted $500. Another dealer wanted $600 for ball joints and asked me to change control arm too, otherwise squeaky sound wont go away, quoted $2400 for the entire job. I will DIY.

Paid $65000 for my car, now my E500 is worth $15000. Same year Honda Pilot sells for slightly better value.

My 1993 Nissan Altima has 195,000 miles on it, driven cross country once (2400 miles), many times to yellowstone, yosemite, LV, LA, Death Valley, dozens of CA to Seattle trips, no problem what so ever. All I do is oil change, tire and brake replacement. Replaced distributor cap once (80000 miles), but the new one was causing problem and forced autoshop to put my old distributor cap and refund my money. Paints have peeled off a bit but it can take me another cross country trip if I wanted. It is looking forward to another 200k miles. Have changed tires many times, changes brakes many times (each time the brake change cost me about $20). The car was stolen, it came back to me in 4 days, I donated it three times, it came back to me because no one wants it. Yet the most reliable car. Parked in Vancouver Canada airport for 60 days, car started without gasping for air. I have decided not to donate it and keep it in case my Mercedes bites the dust again.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' IS 350, 08' E550
Wow! Talk about quality. I just bought a 2008 E550 CPO and have read a lot of horror stories about the E-class from years 2003-2006 and some 07's on up....makes me wonder about how long I should keep this car and just by a new one ...so far it has $42,630 miles with a 2 year mercedes extended warranty. Should i feel safe with the warranty? From what i've read the MB warranty is not that great and doesn't cover bumper to bumper....there seems to be no real joy in purchasing a mb warranty or aftermarket. I wonder if BMW's have these issues?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Will you buy a Mercedes Again?
If money was not an issue, sure.

Unfortunately, money IS an issue

Looking for a great deal on a lease and good trade-in on my 04 E-500, and if all the planets and stars are aligned, I would go for a 39 month lease and let somebody else worry about maintenance and re-sell value when the lease is up and over. (Looked at ML Bluetec, $518 per month, would jump at $400 to $450..maybe)
Right now my aftermarket warranty has 2 months left and I have to make a decision, too risky to go naked, but perhaps cheaper than re-newing the EasyCare contract @ $6K for 2 years...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM

volvo
there seems to be no real joy in purchasing a mb warranty or aftermarket
Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I'll just add my 2 cents. I bought a 2007 E550 and I am incredibly happy with the car but NOT Mercedes reliability. In just the 16 months I had my car, there has been almost $6,000 worth of warranty covered repairs including the CPS sensor failure that was a huge embarrassment as it left me stranded in the middle of a busy road while on a date! And this after I very carefully bought a CPO car with super low miles (around 30K miles).

It is really pathetic how Mercedes seems to make these cars with a 7 year lifetime and essentially throw away vehicles afterwards. There seems to be no regard or concern for what happens to vehicles or the maintenance expenses afterwards and what it does to the brand image and resale value.

If not for the warranty, I would be so screwed right now. In fact if not for the warranty, my cost of ownership would have been cheaper if I had bought a 2010 E550, as it would be cheaper to just pay the depreciation of a new car.

So would I buy another Mercedes? Yes, as long as it is covered by the Mercedes new or CPO warranty.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 06-25-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
I might buy another one. I've had good luck with both of mine and I got both at a great price......so why not?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Definitely wished I fronted the money for higher payments but something better (or at least a car with better resale value down the road).

I've started to have things fail twice within 100K miles (motor mounts, heat changeover valve). And just things like the pano roof ($4000+ just for the part), air suspension (nothing yet, but i'm getting the visit workshop message every day now), transmission problems (had the glycol, still doesn't feel 100% right even after new transmission. the 7gtronics have their fair share of issues too), and now the fuel tank problem... Just ready to unload it for something else (something with more fun factor and less shop visits).

Our 02 CL500 hasn't been nearly as bad. Also, we have an 08 Land Rover LR2 and since 20K miles when we bought, the one thing that's gone wrong with it was a vacuum pump which was like $300 bucks and the thing has 80K miles on it now (besides that it's been fluids, brakes, and tires).

My answer, would be... not another E for sure. If I buy another benz, I'd rather front the money for an S, CL, or SL. With all the issues with this car, I would've rather gotten one of those 3 and at least personally enjoyed the car more and I would be able to personally justify paying for all those repairs more than with an E.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 AM

2008 E320
absolutely love my '08 E320, no issues and would buy another E.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
No I won't

My C350 dropped me stone dead in a shopping centre parking lot, no warning, EIS-Failure. Two weeks, car is running again.

Never was I stranded in my life before with ether Mazda, Mitsibushi, Toyota vehicles.

So far at 72 000Km the C350 never completed a set of front tyres properly.

Mercedes furure:Was thinking when will the turning point for electronic gismos come ? Also, looking at the current amount of cars sold worldwide, say in 5-10 years time + last 10 years accumulating, will the electronic bug come and bite the manufactures because of unreliablilty and may it cause a worldwide financial crises, over and above the current one ???
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Mine was purchased new in November 2002, ordered in Sept. I had nothing but problems the first 3 years, I will just list the problems that I recall without referring to my almost one inch file. The day I picked up the car at the dealership, the check engine light came on, turned out to be the fuel sending unit that had to be replaced!!! The following parts were replaced or serviced:
Engine mount, HK stereo control unit, battery and electrical control unit (car would not start in the garage and had to be towed to the dealer), transmission oil and coolant issue, wheels started to corrode in the first year (dealer refused to replaced them stating due to car wash!) I replace them myself 4 years later, AC and heating unit, etc.

On top of that, the two dealers were imcompetant and price gouging. The dealer I bought my car from, Millenium, had the worst service dept. I had to bring my car in at least twice for them to fix each problem! Millenium has sold to Open Road but the lousy service manager, Joe, is still with them. Another dealer, Ray Catena, is not much better. I had my transmission oil changed the they did not tighten the plastic cover under the engine so I had to go back, and during that same service they told me the tire were wearing unevenly and quoted $1200 to replace rubber bushings!!! Turned to be defective tires due to very strange wear.

I have the car for 9 and half years now with only 60K miles. I plan to sell it before the airmatic or SBS issues come up.

Recently I am experiencing gas odor and most of you W211 owners have experienced that or have heard of it. Of ourse MB will not step to the plate unless forced by NHTSA.

So do I plan to buy another MB? You tell me.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by nsraja
I have a 2004 E-500 Mercedes and here is my frustration

16000 Miles - Brake Wear - Dealer quoted $1500. Did it DIY
19000 Miles - Tire Wear - Replaced all tires
21000 Miles - Forced dealer to change transmission computer module
35000 Miles - Dealer said rear struts/shocks are leaking and replacement would cost $10000. I asked if they have any conscience to give a quote for $10000 to a person who came for oil change
50000 Miles - Super Hot air blowing in rear (even with AC set to Low)
85000 Miles - Ball Joint needs replacement. Quoted $900. Sears quoted $500. Another dealer wanted $600 for ball joints and asked me to change control arm too, otherwise squeaky sound wont go away, quoted $2400 for the entire job. I will DIY.

Paid $65000 for my car, now my E500 is worth $15000. Same year Honda Pilot sells for slightly better value.

I also paid $64,000 and the car wil only bring about $9000 on a used car lot not the wholesale or trade in value. What a deal.

My 1993 Nissan Altima has 195,000 miles on it, driven cross country once (2400 miles), many times to yellowstone, yosemite, LV, LA, Death Valley, dozens of CA to Seattle trips, no problem what so ever. All I do is oil change, tire and brake replacement. Replaced distributor cap once (80000 miles), but the new one was causing problem and forced autoshop to put my old distributor cap and refund my money. Paints have peeled off a bit but it can take me another cross country trip if I wanted. It is looking forward to another 200k miles. Have changed tires many times, changes brakes many times (each time the brake change cost me about $20). The car was stolen, it came back to me in 4 days, I donated it three times, it came back to me because no one wants it. Yet the most reliable car. Parked in Vancouver Canada airport for 60 days, car started without gasping for air. I have decided not to donate it and keep it in case my Mercedes bites the dust again.
No same experience as you.

Brakes at 28,000 and 40,000
Ignition key failed
Door locks
SBC brake total failure car flat bedded to dealer
Transmission leaking
Rear Air spring
Front airmatic shock could not drive car at time of failure
Airmatic compressor
Ball joints
A/C water valve
A/c Failed to cool
3 sets of tires to wear/cupping but now only Michelins run well.
Rear airmatic shocks leaking R&R
Starter
Memory seat
Motor and transmission mounts
and the list goes on. Each trip was 200 miles round trip to the dealer

Each of these cost buckets of $$ while my Corvette 4 yrs older and driven harder has had 1 set of brake pads and a fan belt. Not to mention I get 27.5 MPG in the vet at 70mph while the MB gives 24.5 MBG at the same speed.

Last edited by vettdvr; 06-25-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM

2012 C63 AMG edition 1
Well yes I would get another Mercedes simply because Ive had negative experiences with other german brands.
I also own an A4 and a Q5 and both are ridiculously unreliable compared to my Benz's. They drink oil! (about a quart every 3,000 miles) My A4 has a needed AT LEAST $6,000 worth of work in the last year. Everything from the ENTIRE turbo assembly to the fuel tank has needed to be replaced. I honestly dont like driving it because everytime I do, the check engine light comes back on and its back to the dealer. The car is under warranty but if it wasnt, the car wouldve been gone months ago...

Nothing will be as reliable as a chevy, ford, nissan honda etc. But if you want something german and ;uxorious, Mercedes is the only (somewhat) reliable brand
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 AM

2016 Jaguar FT-R
Nope

I am also a distance from the dealer, 120 miles. I have had to take the car in for repairs twice in the 4 years we have owned it. Although warrantied, that is not as reliable as my GM vehicles.
Initially I had the dealer do routine service because the trip was a nice diversion but when I realized the price they charge for something I can do easily, I started doing my own routine stuff. I feel soiled by the prices they charge for parts and labor, but I also felt that way with a BMW.
It is a very nice car, especially on the highway, but next time I will buy American, locally.
Larry
Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I am also a distance from the dealer, 120 miles. I have had to take the car in for repairs twice in the 4 years we have owned it. Although warrantied, that is not as reliable as my GM vehicles.
Initially I had the dealer do routine service because the trip was a nice diversion but when I realized the price they charge for something I can do easily, I started doing my own routine stuff. I feel soiled by the prices they charge for parts and labor, but I also felt that way with a BMW.
It is a very nice car, especially on the highway, but next time I will buy American, locally.
Larry
Get a Tesla Have you seen their new model?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some other things to add since i'm seeing other people's posts and remembering:

-Auxiliary battery
-Transmission mount
-SBC pump changed once already
-Some sensor for the SBC brakes (this is not covered under the SBC pump warranty)
-Seals for fuel tank
Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 PM

2008 E550
Originally Posted by MARTYMAR
Wow! Talk about quality. I just bought a 2008 E550 CPO and have read a lot of horror stories about the E-class from years 2003-2006 and some 07's on up....makes me wonder about how long I should keep this car and just by a new one ...so far it has $42,630 miles with a 2 year mercedes extended warranty. Should i feel safe with the warranty? From what i've read the MB warranty is not that great and doesn't cover bumper to bumper....there seems to be no real joy in purchasing a mb warranty or aftermarket. I wonder if BMW's have these issues?
I have 62k on my 2008 CPO E550, and mechanically I've only had a CEL from the $10 brake stop sensor, and I have done two A services along with changing out some bad tires. I've had very few issues issue the car. Other than maybe an S5, I can't find much to trade it in for either.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 PM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Originally Posted by MB4tronic
I have 62k on my 2008 CPO E550, and mechanically I've only had a CEL from the $10 brake stop sensor, and I have done two A services along with changing out some bad tires. I've had very few issues issue the car. Other than maybe an S5, I can't find much to trade it in for either.
Excellent! This is good to know. It still doesn't mean my car won't have any issues but I'm glad to hear somewhat good news about the E class, especially the 08 model I don't too much care for a BMW because they have their fair share of issues too. My wife is going to get a ML 350 soon and I hope they're more reliable than what i'm hearing about the E-Class.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Well...yes and no.

MB's seem to have issues based on model and year for years of experience and observation. My 98 E320 has been pretty solid, over 215K on her:

Left cat
Windshield (cracked from rocks scared the crap out of my wife)
Aux fans
Gas cap
AC module
Minor front end works, some joints, etc

Are all the replacements in all of those years and miles. Great car, much better than my 300M was. Now during the 01-04 period MB put out a lot of dogs.

The 06 CLS500:

Fresh air pump
CPS - damn that sensor!
MAF at 100K - no CEL but rough idle.

06 R500

Airmatic struts, both leaky, got Arnott's indy installed. Saved thousands, lifetime warranty.

Airmatic pump replaced circa 20K miles. Not too happy with the airmatic on this car..
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
I have had my car for a year and a half, got it at 67K, I am now at 98K (I put on some miles) and I have done a tune up (plugs & clean up coil contacts) regular service (brake pads, oil changes, brake fluid flush, etc...) and one issue that was covered free under warranty, the SBC unit "exceeded it's service life"

I also spent some cash on upgrades (wheels & tires, etc...) but don't count that.

I will buy another Mercedes, maybe another E, or a CLS when the time comes, but I have no reason at this point to think I will be car shopping until later in the decade. I plan to put 100K more on this thing.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
What I do find interesting is in a poor economy, MB dealer labor cost is $125/hr here but to have my aircraft worked on by FAA autorized shop is $75/hr. So is a MB way more difficult to work on than an Aircraft?

Or why is it $50/hr more to get my MB serviced than my aircraft?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
I was planning to keep the car longer than 10 years when I purchased the car in 11/2002. But after the terrible experience with the W211 reliability issues,and with the coming gas odor and Airmatic issues, I am going to trade it for a 2012 MDX this weekend. I live in NJ and a big Acura dealer in Northern VA offered me a deal I just can't refuse, like almost 8K off sticker! Going to make the deal this weekend.

Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-26-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by vettdvr
What I do find interesting is in a poor economy, MB dealer labor cost is $125/hr here but to have my aircraft worked on by FAA autorized shop is $75/hr. So is a MB way more difficult to work on than an Aircraft?

Or why is it $50/hr more to get my MB serviced than my aircraft?
Exactly. It makes no sense, but when you spend $2 million renovating your facility, dealers are passing the cost of those lattes, snacks, wifi, to the customer.

Also, why does the exact same part cost $300 that can buy from other shop and the web for $115? Mercedes Bosch MAF's are listed on Amazon for $112 all day.

Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
I was planning to keep the car longer than 10 years when I purchased the car in 11/2002. But after the terrible experience with the W211 reliability issues,and with the coming gas odor and Airmatic issues, I am going to trade it for a 2012 MDX this weekend. I live in NJ and a big Acura dealer in Northern VA offered me a deal I just can't refuse, like almost 8K off sticker! Going to make the deal this weekend.
Happens, many are moving to other cars. I have noticed many going to Audi and Hyundai.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 AM

W211 - 2007 E350
Thumbs down

No, but I did not buy our car, it was my wife’s idea.

I use to be a Tech and European cars are still not up to the same level of reliability as Asian and American cars to this day, let alone the parts cost a lot more on top of that.

My wifes 2007 E350 4matic with only 45k had done or needs…

Rear Brakes
Front Brakes
Transmission problems (I thinks its in the Valve body)
Steering rack is leaking
Rear cam seal on Driver side is leaking oil
Sun roof sometimes jumps off track
Front bulb went out that requires removing front bumper to replace
MB Pleather is already starting to come apart, drivers front seat
Idler pulley bad

I love how European cars handle and feel when driven, but I would never recommend any European car over most American or Asian cars unless its under warranty and you know the re-sale is crap.
I hope my wife gets her European car bug out of her and we never get another.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bigben320e
Exactly. It makes no sense, but when you spend $2 million renovating your facility, dealers are passing the cost of those lattes, snacks, wifi, to the customer.

Also, why does the exact same part cost $300 that can buy from other shop and the web for $115? Mercedes Bosch MAF's are listed on Amazon for $112 all day.

Happens, many are moving to other cars. I have noticed many going to Audi and Hyundai.

Yup they wanna setup that whole "luxury experience" for people when my warranties run out, I never step foot into the dealer for service or repairs, but then again we are lucky here in a LA as there are many indy shops. I know it's not the same everywhere.

Been thinking about one of those 2013 V6 genesis coupe's actually.

Originally Posted by Marlin1975
Transmission problems (I thinks its in the Valve body)
I think all the valve bodies are bad on the 7gtronic cars. I had an uncle that had to have his changed on his S550 at 15K miles. Ridiculous. Oh and the transmission on my car, horrible. Thing has a brand new transmission since 55K miles and it still never drives right. Have it looked at, had the torque converter readapted, but nope, the same problems keep coming up: delay shifting from 2 > 3, jerking at low speeds in parking lots, now slight jerking after the car shifts to 3 and the rpms are around 1800-2000. When I do the computer reset thing for the adaptive driving it kind of helps, but they just come back. Maybe the whole computer is just shot

Last edited by gaazmon; 06-27-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Tesla
When I was poor, I admire all those people who can afford to drive such expensive cars. Then when I can afford one myself, I realize what I really admire is those people who can afford to keep these cars running.

Nice driving machines, they are. Reliable and economical, far from it.

But we are still suckered into it. Wife just picked up a 2012 E, even after all the horrors we had with the 2005 E. But this time, we bought extended warranty. Like that's going to save us. LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will you buy a Mercedes Again?