E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Head Unit W211 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 W211 E350 AMG Sport PKG
isn't this the eBay kit that people have purchased before with nothing but terrible reviews?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 PM

CLS 350 W219
Hi, I just got the tracking No. for the package, so it is a matter of days now .

09W211 isn't this the eBay kit that people have purchased before with nothing but terrible reviews?

There are many units like this on the market, most of them don't have good feed back - but the usual complains are about the O.S. - which in this case is Android, so I guess it wil be -Ok. When it arrives I will make a review of the unit.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Subscribed.. Looking to get a nice OEM looking head unit.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Mercedes E320
Originally Posted by Elrond
Hi, I just got the tracking No. for the package, so it is a matter of days now .

09W211 isn't this the eBay kit that people have purchased before with nothing but terrible reviews?

There are many units like this on the market, most of them don't have good feed back - but the usual complains are about the O.S. - which in this case is Android, so I guess it wil be -Ok. When it arrives I will make a review of the unit.
How did things go with the new Android HU??
Old 08-15-2013, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Is it true it needs a constant internet connection to work properly or have they changed some of the OS codebase?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Heh, I just saw a terrible after-market install where they touted how they got the steering wheel controls working to adjust volume, source and tracks. The trouble is, every time they hit the up/down arrows the radio changed tracks or stations, even if the menu on the instrument cluster was not in the radio mode...say if it was on the trip computer and you wanted to change miles remaining/tank contents - the screen information changed, but so did the radio station with every button press!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 e320 sport
thank you for the video. your car looks nice.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
nice! when you're in navigation mode, does it work with the instrument cluster as well?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 AM

CLS 350 W219
Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply, but as I found it is not easy to clear customs, with the device, because for tax reasons, the Chinese, put an invoice that the unit costs 100$, but the customs officer requires the paypal invoice, which was for 799$, so at the end I gave up and hired an customs agent and she fixed everything in a day for 50$- which was a WIN. FYI- I'm from Europe, so I'm not sure how it will work in USA.

So few days ago, I got it in my hands - it really doesn't looks cheap at all, the quality of the plastic is much better than I've seen previously on aftermarket navigations.

It cones in a box with everything and it is very well labeled in English.

It is a bit shocking how many cable and adapters it comes with, but most of them aren't necessary for the installation (FYI - it is very important. when you are ordering the unit, to mention, with which head unit you are)
- if you are with the basic audio unit - only CD- it is easy busy
- if you are with Command of audio 50 - you need the 6m. cable harness (it comes for free with the unit when, you mention that your car is with the fiber optic system)
Important - if you are with HK or BOSE - audio system, probably such replacement is is not the best idea, because you factory amplifier won't work with the new head unit and you have to install a new amplifier, if you are with Logic 7 - don't bother at all.

This installation requires, the removal of the trunk left cover, rear seats, and quite a few interior panels (I have photos, which I will post when I finish with the installation).
I didn't felt comfortable removing the interior panels ( my car is a CLS and there are few minor differences in the interior to the E - class, but as el. system they are the same). So I hired a car audio technician, to do it for me. If you aren't experienced with removing interior elements, I strongly advice you to seek professional assistance.

When took half the car apart we noticed, that the power cable, which is a part of the 6m. harness which replaces the optic fiber cables is way too short (only 50cm.) so we had to stop and tomorrow we will continue, when the technician gets a new longer cable ( the head unit takes it supply from the trunk).

I've connected the unit in the trunk, just to check that it works and it does, it is really fast compared to its dynavin rivals. I haven't checked any of the functions yet, so keep an eye of the forum in the next few days, there will be a full review with some pictures and installations advises.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:43 PM

CLS 350 W219
Hi guys,
The sytem is in and it works.
it fits quite well and it looks like factory made. The quality is good and the resolution of the unit is OK.
As per the main function - navigation, the map which came with the car is I GO primo and it is pretty good, I uploaded an add on with all speed cameras and it works. On the minus side it takes awhile to find a GPS reception ( I installed the new antenna on the windscreen) when there are tall buildings around, but in the open areas it finds reception within 2 minutes).
The rear view camera is really good it is 3.6V instead of the usual 12V and there is much less disturbance than, most cheap Chinese cameras.
The Ipod function works well - you can fully control the Ipod from the touch screen menu, but I haven't tried to play video from it.
The USB media works fine, DVD works fine and with pretty good picture quality, there are to mini sd card slots one for the navigation maps and software and one for media. The unit comes with 2 USB outputs and one Ipod, I use one of the USB outputs for the wi-fi adapter (which I constantly feed with internet from my mobile phone), the other way to have Internet is trough a GSM network adapter with a internet sim card (If you have good mobile internet on your phone, just use it as a wi-fi hot spot). The Bluetooth works well - you can play song from your mobile phone directly, of course you can receive and send calls, but unfortunately it doesn't uploads my Galaxy Note II phone book list, but it works with my wife's Iphone 4. Phone book.
The touch screen is not too sensitive, which might be a good thing in a car.
On the minus side the radio tuner is crap, it looses stations all the time and if you are not in the city but in the suburbs, do not expect good reception, I solve the problem with an android application with radio stations.

The installation of the unit is pretty much impossible without professional help, it really comes with all required cables to bypass the original optic fibre system, but some of them are not long enough (the power supply) and the can bus reader from the original optical system needed to be extended with 5-6m. to reach.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:07 PM

CLS 350 W219
I want to publish all the photos, but I can't find a good free web site where to upload them, could you recommend me one ?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:28 PM

CLS 350 W219
http://kapitanat.snimka.bg/tuning/me...71778.31344756
here are some of the pictures from the instalation
Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 PM

CLS 350 W219
I will keep you posted on the progress and how the unit behaves, but in general so far everything other than the radio and the TV works, pretty good and the navigation and multimedia capabilities of the unit exceeds the expectations, but if you have H&K, Bose or Logic 7, you will need a much better amp, than the one the unit comes with.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply, but as I found it is not easy to clear customs, with the device, because for tax reasons, the Chinese, put an invoice that the unit costs 100$, but the customs officer requires the paypal invoice, which was for 799$, so at the end I gave up and hired an customs agent and she fixed everything in a day for 50$- which was a WIN. FYI- I'm from Europe, so I'm not sure how it will work in USA.
When I ordered my head unit for my e46 in April I had no customs issues with my unit entering the United States. This may just be a Europe requirement.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 PM

2005 E320 CDI
I just got the same unit, will be installing tomorrow. What setting did you use on the CAN-Box? Did you left all 4 to "on" position?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 AM

Mercedes E320
I believe you're asking if the instrument cluster will show turn by turn directions. It does not work in the instrument cluster in that way.

Last edited by hueholla; 10-23-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 AM

Mercedes E320
The installation of the unit is pretty much impossible without professional help, it really comes with all required cables to bypass the original optic fibre system, but some of them are not long enough (the power supply) and the can bus reader from the original optical system needed to be extended with 5-6m. to reach.
Great job on the install and congratulations on getting it done. I agree with you on everything except maybe this last part. I have never installed as much as a speaker into my car and I did the entire install myself over a single weekend. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a professional but you do need to have a little know-how to perform the install.

Once again, looks great and good job! This is the maybe the only quality post on the internet that discusses this topic for the E-class.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 AM

Mercedes E320
Originally Posted by Dumblas
I just got the same unit, will be installing tomorrow. What setting did you use on the CAN-Box? Did you left all 4 to "on" position?

The positions of the switches on the can-box does not matter. You just need to plug it into the proper connector.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by hueholla
I didn't forget about you guys! I know there is hardly any real information on the internet talking about this product. I was pretty skeptical myself before making the purchase, so here are my thoughts on it.

Several electronic websites from China and Japan sell it but I purchased mine from seicane.com. They offered the lowest price ($578 which includes shipping and SD card for GPS) I seen it there backed with the assurance of using Paypal and it only took about a week to arrive in the mail.

Installation:

The package came with several adapters and RCA connects with zero instructions. Most of them you will never use depending an the type of audio connections you have in your vehicle. My E320 uses the MOST fiber optic system which obviously is not compatible with the new head unit. There is a harness, however, that can be used to bypass the fiber optics and into the AGW.

The AGW can be accessed in the trunks driver side behind the N1O/2 (SAM-R module). You will need to remove four connectors which are the speaker wires (14-pin), fiber optic cable, and power connector (4pin), and antenna. These will all connect to your new harness.

To add to my harness, I purchased two 25' long RCA cables, one for my aftermarket subwoofer and the other as rear view camera video pre-wire. I also added 25' of copper wire to splice with my reverse lights. This should tell the HU to switch to camera view when in reverse.

The provided harness is not well labeled and their labels can get lost in translations. There are three wires labeled BACK, BRAKE, and AMP. I deduced that BACK is for the reverse lights, BRAKE is for the hand brake when watching DVDs, and AMP is the remote for an external amplifier. There is no need to connect the BRAKE wire because the HU gives an Option to disable it in the settings.

I would strongly recommend plugging the unit in at the trunk before running the wires. This will let you know which cables you need and don't need. I only connected the 6m harness, radio and GPS antennas to mine. The CANBUS connects to the harness and works surprisingly! The iPod connector didn't work very weil, but I figured those are slowly being phased out by Apple anyway. Once you know what you will need, you can start the long tedious process of gutting out your interior to run the cables from trunk to dash.

The included attachment may also help out with the process.

WARNING: Unplugging any yellow connectors will cause a permanent malfunction which will need to be reset by the dealer.

• The included CAN BUS retains steering wheel controls
  • Bluetooth connection allows for audio and phone connections (phone feature works an steering wheel)
  • Several options for media playback (CD/DVD, SD Card, Bluetooth, camera, etc.)
  • Subwoofers sound better than ever
  • A lot cooler than the Audio 50 Cassette OEM HU I previously had
Dislikes:

• Takes a while to startup when car turns on
  • Radio reception not as good as stock
  • There is a couple secs delay when toggling between menus
  • Included maps is slightly out of date (did not recognize recent road construction)
  • Found a glitch in the audio programming (front speakers are turned off until navigation makes a sound first)
Overall, l'm pretty happy with the new unit minus my dislikes. I really like the fact that it looks stock so it keeps thieves at bay. lt was just installed last weekend so l'm still playing around with it. l'll also be throwing in a rear view camera pretty soon also since it's already been pre-wired for that. I can provide updates to let you guys know how that works out if you would like.

Here's a short video demo of it in action. Hope this has been helpful!

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.
How did you run that 6m cable to the back? Thru the center or along the left (drivers) side?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Mercedes E320
How did you run that 6m cable to the back? Thru the center or along the left (drivers) side?
The cable came up the left panel on the drivers side. It was squeezed between the door and the speaker by your left leg. I then ran it underneath the steering column by dropping the black plate below it. The plate is tied down by four torque screws (T-20's I believe it was). You can then weasel it through to find a hole on the left side of your center console.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Got it. Just finished today. Just what did you do with the CD Changer? I would like to remove and make storage there, but the door will not operate without complete stereo system (fiber optic signal). Other wise looks not bad. I would like to see navigation turn by turn directions on the dash board, but it is what it is....
Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 AM

Mercedes E320
Got it. Just finished today. Just what did you do with the CD Changer? I would like to remove and make storage there, but the door will not operate without complete stereo system (fiber optic signal). Other wise looks not bad. I would like to see navigation turn by turn directions on the dash board, but it is what it is....
I didn't have the CD changer option in my car. That spot was just for storage. I know the fiber optic system works on a loop where everything is tied together in series. You should be able to remove the output fiber cable from the back of the CDC and plug it into the output fiber connector from the original head unit. Hopefully that works out.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 C300-4Matic-AMG Line
Hey there, I just watched your video of the GPS DVD install, very nice. I want to get one of these as well for the 2007 C280 I just bought. I have a couple questions.

1-Would you recommend a spending $100 or so for a professional from a stereo shop do the install, or can you DIY pretty easily?

2- When you turn your car on will the radio come on automatically, like a stock stereo, or do you have to manually go to radio in the menu every time you start the car up? Also, do the CD/DVDs start where you left off when you turn the car off?

3- I see you have Igo 8, do you know if that can be upgraded to Igo primo? Have you tried any other gps programs?

4- When your phone is hooked up via bluetooth, can you play things like Pandora or youtube from your phone through your unit?

5- I see this video was posted a few months ago, are you still happy with the unit?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 PM

2005 E320 CDI
My advice- dont waste your money. I ended up installing oem stereo back in (i have Harman Kardon Logic 7). Oem sound quality much much better. I dont wanna go with all details why i switched back, but trust me- if you wanna keep it for your self- stay with oem, if you stereo not working and need to sell your car- then go with chinese. After i switched back to oem i installed Mobridge ipod kit with Bluetooth option. This setup much much better then chinese stereo.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 C300-4Matic-AMG Line
Im too new to the MB world to know what Logic 7, MOST, etc. is but my car only has a CD/Stereo, and the stereo doesnt pick up things like song titles. Is it just the stereo reception that you dont like about this unit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Head Unit W211 Upgrade