Broken 3rd row seat latch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon
Broken 3rd row seat latch

I know this is a long shot, but...
I broke the latch/lifting handle on the 3rd row seat back. The lifting handle just snapped. Now I can not get the seat back out of its "stowed" position, it is locked and I can't see how to get it unlocked without tearing the thing apart.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by enochbell
I know this is a long shot, but...
I broke the latch/lifting handle on the 3rd row seat back. The lifting handle just snapped. Now I can not get the seat back out of its "stowed" position, it is locked and I can't see how to get it unlocked without tearing the thing apart.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
I don't think there's a locking mechanism. I think the only thing holding it down is gravity. See if you can get a plastic wedge between the pieces and pull it up enough to get your fingers under and give it a lift.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 AM

2004 E500 Wagon
Thanks. It does not lock but it does latch. The plastic handle serves as a lift and a latch release. I think I am screwed and will have to rip the thing apart.

Greg
Old 08-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
I just checked mine and it does have a latch at the rear edge. The lift handle presses down at the rear edge and pulls in the "tongue" part of the latch, disengaging it. You need to do the following.

1. Get a plastic ruler or credit card and use it to press down on the rear edge of the lift handle housing as if it were the lift handle.

2. Take a wire clothes hanger and bend it into an L. Push the hanger between the gaps in the panels on the floor and twist it so that you can use it as a lifting mechanism.

3. Simultaneously use the plastic ruler to unlatch the panel and lift on the wire hanger.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 AM

2004 E500 Wagon
Thanks, I finally got it using two screw drivers and three hands. I really love this car, but this is one of those overly-complicated and easy to break bits that drive me nuts. I permanently disabled the latch.

I appreciate the help,
g