E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

06 E320 CDI malone tune/egr disable

Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
06 E320 CDI malone tune/egr disable

Hello everyone. First I want to say I searched, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I apoligize if I missed it if its been discussed already.

I just got a 1 owner , 06 E320 CDI with 74k miles on it last week from a dealership that was a new car trade in. I drove 8 hours round trip to get it. I really enjoyed driving it home and really like it so far. Although I did find it a little rough to start when the temps are around 20 F when sitting over night. I did find a receipt about 30k miles ago and 3 years ago where all 6 glow plugs were replaced. It didn't say what brand but did have correct part number. So not sure if the have the wrong voltage bosch plugs or if they are correct and I got a small air leak somewhere. (Although I have looked and no visable leaks) So still looking into that.

Anyways to the topic of the thread. I would like to disable the EGR for the several known reasons. Mainly to keep from clogging intake and also don't like the fact it makes oil dirty very quickly, and also just to eliminate the chance of running into limp mode while on a long drive etc if it sticks.

So I had emailed Mark at Malone tuning and he did mention they can just disable the EGR in the tune. I like this idea instead of doing any wiring or fooling boxes. My only concern is even though they have a good reputation for TDI's etc. I can not find a single review on a CDI tune and since the tune and flazilla combo is pretty pricey wanted to see if anyone here had done this and what thier thoughts are. BTW I am not really concerned so much with the power increase (raises it to 235hp/415ft ) although if its safe I won't mind the increase ;-)

Sorry I wrote a book on my first post!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yep!

Last edited by Plutoe; 01-02-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by BoostFiend
Although I did find it a little rough to start when the temps are around 20 F when sitting over night. I did find a receipt about 30k miles ago and 3 years ago where all 6 glow plugs were replaced. It didn't say what brand but did have correct part number. So not sure if the have the wrong voltage bosch plugs.....
My take on the cold hard starting is that you have the wrong glow plugs installed. The part number listed by MB two or three years ago was for the wrong plug. The only way to tell for sure is to have someone pull one to see if it says Beru 5V.
Mike T.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:48 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I just can't let this pass, I gotta reply---

I haven't got the foggiest idea where you live, but before you waste your money on a chip tune make sure you do not have emissions testing in the state.

Most diesel tuners are simply elongating the injection time(more fuel) and or turbo boost pressure----there goes your fuel economy and more ware and tear on the pistons rods and bearings and much darker oil!!

This must be your first diesel because if you think that disabling the the EGR system will clear up the soot in your oil you are sadly mistaken.

Do you have any idea when and how your EGR system works??

You are correct diesels are harder to start in cold weather, however have you read the manual and followed the starting procedure, especially the part when to shift the key to position three!!

My advice is drive the car for a year, learn the car before altering because you are going to get many chances to **** money away!!
I live in Kansas. So no emission testing. I have owned several diesel vehicles. Including many modern common rail and several old indirect and mechanic injection.
And yes on a direct injection diesel engine. Disabling the EGR will keep the oil clean for much longer. Although it may not matter much in a old indirect injection diesel. So you sir are mistaken. I will give a couple of examples of diesels I have owned that still had golden oil after few thousand miles. 97 7.3 powerstroke , 98 Dodge 5.9 cummins. Both would have golden oil and they had no egr. As soon as the newer engines added EGR they would get black right away. And I have had those as well. Including our 2012 Golf TDI and my 05 cummins (it actually used cam timing as a "In head" egr) they turn black almost immediatly.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
My take on the cold hard starting is that you have the wrong glow plugs installed. The part number listed by MB two or three years ago was for the wrong plug. The only way to tell for sure is to have someone pull one to see if it says Beru 5V.
Mike T.
Thanks for the information. Yeah at this point I think that is the most likely scenerio. I will probably pull one out soon and if so replace them all. A little paranoid about breaking one coming out though.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Thanks for the information. Yeah at this point I think that is the most likely scenerio. I will probably pull one out soon and if so replace them all. A little paranoid about breaking one coming out though.
I would suggest that you try soaking (give it a squirt each day) the glow plug for a couple of days with something like Blaster PB penetrating oil. Others have said it will make removal easier. Also do it when the engine is hot.
Mike T.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yep again!

Last edited by Plutoe; 01-02-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:27 AM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Originally Posted by Plutoe
The removal advice is sound, however the why you want to remove just baffels me.

You haven't got the foggiest idea of how the MB glow plugs function. You haven't got the foggiest idea how the MB control module works. You haven't got the foggiest idea on how to test installed MB glow plugs!!-----and you want to rip into the glow plugs

Why not simply test the current resistance of the installed glow plugs and start from there with the base line data.

Finally you will get more sound advice if you post your issues with diesels in the diesel forum.------do a search on glow plugs
Plutoe

Why don't you go disappear. You have have nothing positive, or knowledgeable to offer.

Its not that the glow plugs have failed. If they did I would get a check engine light.
Its just that there is a known issue of the wrong voltage glow plugs that were used in replacements
that cause them not to get hot enough and can cause some poor cold starting.
So checking the ohm resistance won't be a clear indication. You have to pull one out and see
what is stamped on them.

So its you that doesn't have the foggiest whats going on.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Plutoe

Why don't you go disappear. You have have nothing positive, or knowledgeable to offer.

Its not that the glow plugs have failed. If they did I would get a check engine light.
Its just that there is a known issue of the wrong voltage glow plugs that were used in replacements
that cause them not to get hot enough and can cause some poor cold starting.
So checking the ohm resistance won't be a clear indication. You have to pull one out and see
what is stamped on them.

So its you that doesn't have the foggiest whats going on.

If you installed anything other than the 5Volt Behr plug you are going to have the problem you have described. Many online parts shops are selling the Bosch plugs which are 12volt and they don't work. Been there and done that.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Thanks Edwin. What symptoms were you experiencing when you had this happen?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Hello everyone. First I want to say I searched, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I apoligize if I missed it if its been discussed already.

I just got a 1 owner , 06 E320 CDI with 74k miles on it last week from a dealership that was a new car trade in. I drove 8 hours round trip to get it. I really enjoyed driving it home and really like it so far. Although I did find it a little rough to start when the temps are around 20 F when sitting over night. I did find a receipt about 30k miles ago and 3 years ago where all 6 glow plugs were replaced. It didn't say what brand but did have correct part number. So not sure if the have the wrong voltage bosch plugs or if they are correct and I got a small air leak somewhere. (Although I have looked and no visable leaks) So still looking into that.

Anyways to the topic of the thread. I would like to disable the EGR for the several known reasons. Mainly to keep from clogging intake and also don't like the fact it makes oil dirty very quickly, and also just to eliminate the chance of running into limp mode while on a long drive etc if it sticks.

So I had emailed Mark at Malone tuning and he did mention they can just disable the EGR in the tune. I like this idea instead of doing any wiring or fooling boxes. My only concern is even though they have a good reputation for TDI's etc. I can not find a single review on a CDI tune and since the tune and flazilla combo is pretty pricey wanted to see if anyone here had done this and what thier thoughts are. BTW I am not really concerned so much with the power increase (raises it to 235hp/415ft ) although if its safe I won't mind the increase ;-)

Sorry I wrote a book on my first post!
If you want more power as well as that EGR disabled, our tuning will do the job.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 PM

2006 E320 CDI
What symptoms were you experiencing when you had this happen?
When my cdi had the wrong plugs installed for approximately 3 months and 3,000 miles (October to January), I noticed that it ran rough for the first minute or so when first started. It did not do it often as 95-percent of the time my car was garaged and the garage temperature would rarely dip below 50 degrees.

Other than that you will not get any codes.

I hope you read the following posts regarding the glow plugs:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-starting.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...eru-not-4.html

Mike T.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:27 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
When my cdi had the wrong plugs installed for approximately 3 months and 3,000 miles (October to January), I noticed that it ran rough for the first minute or so when first started. It did not do it often as 95-percent of the time my car was garaged and the garage temperature would rarely dip below 50 degrees.

Other than that you will not get any codes.

I hope you read the following posts regarding the glow plugs:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-starting.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...eru-not-4.html

Mike T.
Thanks Mike.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 AM

2006 E320CDI
Thanks Mike.

Mine did the same as Mike's.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Well guys. I pulled out #2 and #3 since they were the easiest to get to. They were the wrong bosch plugs. 11.5 volt. So I will replace them all with the beru. Unfortuantly they did not use antiseize and they were pretty tight. I was very careful and those 2 came out ok. ( I did use pb blaster and warm up the engine)
I do have a question though. How did you get the 4 and 5 plugs there is the plastic wire harness holder that is kinda in the way did you have to remove that?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Ok I got all the plugs removed except #4. Some were very squeaky coming out and I was a bit nervous!
So this #4 glow plug whats the best way to get it out? It looks like I might have to atleast loosing the wiring harness to get it out. I don't have any reverse torx for those bolts ,but looks like I should pick some up.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:56 PM

2006 E320 CDI
So this #4 glow plug whats the best way to get it out?
Sorry, I cannot help you on this one as I did not change out my plugs myself. I am glad that you found your cold start problem.
On another note, my #4 plug went out about 8 months ago. I only had that one replaced. I did purchase it and gave it to the mechanic that I use. It was a good thing because he never heard of the 5V Beru plugs, and would have purchased and installed the 11V Bosch plug..
Mike T.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:31 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Ok I got the #4 out. But not without a little drama. I was using a 3/8 10mm on the others and that would not work and I couldn't find my 1/4 drive one, so I went to the parts store and got one. There was still a little pressure because of the angle then I would of liked from the ext pressing against the wiring harness. So I got it what I thought all the way out but it just kept spinning and would not come out. I finally screwed it back in and it went in ok. So I tried it again same thing. What I figured out to help with the angle as I got towards the top I used a flat head screwdriver in the back of the 10 mm socket. And then at the very top I wiggled it a little bit with needle nose and it came out. So now just waiting on my new plugs to get in.
I think the hang up was like the very last thread on the glow plug got slightly distorted from the slight pressure of the angle if that makes sense.
Anyways its a relief I was starting to get worried on that last one.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 AM

2006 E320 CDI
So I got it what I thought all the way out but it just kept spinning and would not come out.
It's funny that you mentioned this. When I tried to get my #4 out, it just spun. I even tried starting the car to see if it would pop out. I finally gave up and screwed it back in and let my indie do it. He said he did not have any problems with getting it out. I knew that it could not be carbon holding it in as it was not that old. I thought that maybe the "probe" blew out or ballooned and was stopping it from coming out. Lesson learned for the next time!
Mike T.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
So just to follow up. I did get my new BERU plugs in today. And got them installed after work. Its been very cold out here,(-10 yesterday) started right up and no smoke no missing etc.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Another satisfied customer! I am glad the correct glow plugs corrected your cold starting issue.
Mike T.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 AM

2006 E320CDI
Ok I got the #4 out. But not without a little drama. I was using a 3/8 10mm on the others and that would not work and I couldn't find my 1/4 drive one, so I went to the parts store and got one. There was still a little pressure because of the angle then I would of liked from the ext pressing against the wiring harness. So I got it what I thought all the way out but it just kept spinning and would not come out. I finally screwed it back in and it went in ok. So I tried it again same thing. What I figured out to help with the angle as I got towards the top I used a flat head screwdriver in the back of the 10 mm socket. And then at the very top I wiggled it a little bit with needle nose and it came out. So now just waiting on my new plugs to get in.
I think the hang up was like the very last thread on the glow plug got slightly distorted from the slight pressure of the angle if that makes sense.
Anyways its a relief I was starting to get worried on that last one.

For what its worth, if I remember correctly I ended grinding a little plastic from the wiring harness so there was no tension on the socket. came righty out. I also used antiseize on the new plugs. Just had to replace two of those and they came out without a hitch.

Glad to hear you are back in business.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Boostfiend,

Any updates on your search for a tune? I'm in a similar situation as you....I'm coming from the Powerstroke world where tunes are plentiful and cheap. I've had my '05 CDI for a couple months and have yet to pull the trigger on a tune. I'm looking for better fuel economy and EGR delete. I've spoken with InMotion Tuning and he said disabling the EGR completely was not possible but his tune would lower the duty cycle but he wouldn't say by how much. In fact, he wouldn't devuldge any details on his tune, claiming they were propriatary. Kinda strange...

I've also contacted EuroCharged, but they apparently are not too interested in a sale, they did respond once but have not answered my follow-up questions.

Please post up your finding on a tune and I'll do the same! Thanks.

Last edited by mmuthart; 01-13-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:12 PM

2006 Mercedes E320 cdi
Originally Posted by mmuthart
Boostfiend,

Any updates on your search for a tune? I'm in a similar situation as you....I'm coming from the Powerstroke world where tunes are plentiful and cheap. I've had my '05 CDI for a couple months and have yet to pull the trigger on a tune. I'm looking for better fuel economy and EGR delete. I've spoken with InMotion Tuning and he said disabling the EGR completely was not possible but his tune would lower the duty cycle but he wouldn't say by how much. In fact, he wouldn't devuldge any details on his tune, claiming they were propriatary. Kinda strange...

I've also contacted EuroCharged, but they apparently are not too interested in a sale, they did respond once but have not answered my follow-up questions.

Please post up your finding on a tune and I'll do the same! Thanks.
Hello there. Yeah its been a little difficult to find one with much feedback. I will say I have NOT been impressed with Malone tuning. It takes several days to weeks to get a response and the engine they have listed on thier site is the 3.0 liter which would be the om642 , but has the horsepower torque figures match our engine OM648, but last time I tried to ask for clarification I haven't got a respone yet.
I have got a few PM's from tuners who visit this site, and some of them look good but most of thier tuning is on gas engines (or atleast that is what it looked like based off their site and feedback) I just recently seen Green Diesel Engineering site and they have a good reputation on mercedes diesel for Jeeps CRD's and do have our car listed as well. They will disable the EGR and tuning should give 2-5 mpg increase as well as about 29 horse increase. Also when I asked some questions they got back to me immediatly.I will likely go with them and will post update once I do.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Hello there. Yeah its been a little difficult to find one with much feedback. I will say I have NOT been impressed with Malone tuning. It takes several days to weeks to get a response and the engine they have listed on thier site is the 3.0 liter which would be the om642 , but has the horsepower torque figures match our engine OM648, but last time I tried to ask for clarification I haven't got a respone yet.
I have got a few PM's from tuners who visit this site, and some of them look good but most of thier tuning is on gas engines (or atleast that is what it looked like based off their site and feedback) I just recently seen Green Diesel Engineering site and they have a good reputation on mercedes diesel for Jeeps CRD's and do have our car listed as well. They will disable the EGR and tuning should give 2-5 mpg increase as well as about 29 horse increase. Also when I asked some questions they got back to me immediatly.I will likely go with them and will post update once I do.
I looked at Green Diesel Engineering as well, but was a bit turned off by the $695 price tag. At that price they include a tuner but looking back at my Powerstroke experience, a tuner is nice, but ultimately just ends up sitting in the glove box collecting dust. I wonder if they have an option to download the tune without selling the programmer?

EuroCharged, the folks who haven't reponded to my latest questions, can update your ECU over the web with a supplied cable for only $299: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-ECU-Tune-Performance-Engine-Tuning-C320-E320-C240-C230-SLK320-/280838963137?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41634e7fc1&vxp=mtr#ht_1100wt_981
InMotion Tuning would loan you the tool but preferred you send in the ECU. They want $400 for the tune.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 06 E320 CDI malone tune/egr disable