E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I think I am too old for maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Jaguar FT-R
I think I am too old for maintenance

I just completed oil/filter change. Cabin filter, engine air filters, brake pads, and brake fluid changed as well. I always liked doing this and I especially liked how much money I was saving compared with even an indy.
But I am worn to a frazzle. I think the getting the wheels on and off was the most physical part of the routine, but that car is one heavy beast to jack up and put on jack stands.
Like a famous actor once said " a man's gotta know his limitations". Guess I will pay someone to do this next time. Getting old is not all it is cracked up to be!
Larry
Old 04-12-2014, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I just completed oil/filter change. Cabin filter, engine air filters, brake pads, and brake fluid changed as well. I always liked doing this and I especially liked how much money I was saving compared with even an indy.
But I am worn to a frazzle. I think the getting the wheels on and off was the most physical part of the routine, but that car is one heavy beast to jack up and put on jack stands.
Like a famous actor once said " a man's gotta know his limitations". Guess I will pay someone to do this next time. Getting old is not all it is cracked up to be!
Larry

Larry my guess is I am older than you, pretty much feel the same and prefer to be advisor than wrench twister. Anyone can be young but you have to be really Tough to get OLD. However I still play with lots of toys and have a blast doing things I could not afford to do while younger.

It's ok to stop pulling wheels and crawling under machinery. Now let someone else do the service and go have some fun.!
Attached Thumbnails I think I am too old for maintenance-our-cessna.jpg  
Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
You guys are depressing me.

I keep hoping that some day I will have time to get back to my projects, but every time I came in from one I am sore.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by N_Jay
You guys are depressing me.

I keep hoping that some day I will have time to get back to my projects, but every time I came in from one I am sore.

N_Jay not trying to be depressing there is a lot more fun out there than just pulling wrenches. I have built many cars, engine, transmissions and helping young son (Over 40) build a 72 454 corvette engine and transmission. I just stopped twisting wrenches. All the fun not as much pain. The last big job was replacing both front airbag struts on my E500 and then I bought a new Chrysler 300 C hemi Great driver warranty on it and only spent $$ for one oil change in first 20000 miles. Warranty did the rest. This gave me time to fly more.

So have fun don't be depressed. My biggest depression was driving the E500 not knowing when it would break down. I bought it new and my last long away from home trip had 2 major failures on my dealer maintained since new car.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

We have 55K driving our E (Bought at 42K) and 17K driving our GL (bought at 96K) and the only issue that stopped us on the road was a tire.

Wondering if you had a bad dealer?

That aside, my plan was to have kids interested in having fun turning wrenches with me, but the kids had different ideas of fun.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 AM

2016 Jaguar FT-R
I am going to lease a Cayman S and not feel the compulsion to mod or maintain; the dealer can do the maintenance. Since the dealer is also MB, he will probably be doing future maintenance on the E350.

Larry
Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c55 AMG, 2006 Kleemann E50 K, 1997 Acura-CL Custom
NOT Depressing

I am extremely lucky when it comes to my vehicles. My 17yr old Son helps me on everything. The HUGE blessing is that he's an apprentice Mechanic working after school and next year he's going to UTI to train on Mercedes Vehicles.

I Love wrenching but like Vettdrvr I have built MANY vehicles and it wears you out. Im sore in places I shouldnt be but in the end it works out because Im not brake because of ift!.

If you hate turning wrenches then you can pay someone to do it. But thats no fun now is it?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
We have 55K driving our E (Bought at 42K) and 17K driving our GL (bought at 96K) and the only issue that stopped us on the road was a tire.

Wondering if you had a bad dealer?

That aside, my plan was to have kids interested in having fun turning wrenches with me, but the kids had different ideas of fun.
Actually I had a great dealer. SBC brakes failed, airmatic air springs rear, front/ rear shocks/ ac blower fan, battery control module for dead battery, power steering and the list went on and on.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by vettdvr
. . . SBC brakes failed, airmatic air springs rear, front/ rear shocks/ ac blower fan, battery control module for dead battery, power steering and the list went on and on.
Remind me not to stand next to you during thunder storms.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Remind me not to stand next to you during thunder storms.

You're too late, Lightning has hit my house 3 times (Each a different city and house), A tornado jumped over my house and took out a 125+ yr old oak,, The North Ridge quake Epicenter was 8 miles from my house in Thousand Oaks Calif ( I have since moved out of state) and Katrina destroyed my home in South Louisiana.

But the lightning did miss my boat by 100' while I was fishing.

Want to go flying?

No I won't buy another Mercedes either.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by vettdvr

You're too late, Lightning has hit my house 3 times (Each a different city and house), A tornado jumped over my house and took out a 125+ yr old oak,, The North Ridge quake Epicenter was 8 miles from my house in Thousand Oaks Calif ( I have since moved out of state) and Katrina destroyed my home in South Louisiana.

But the lightning did miss my boat by 100' while I was fishing.

Want to go flying?

No I won't buy another Mercedes either.

With luck like that the MB was probably dying to keep you from an accident down the road!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM

06 E350
I might be repeating myself, but I can't seem to submit this.

While there may be some things you physically can't do anymore, you can still do many of the same things you have always enjoyed, but not all at once. Pace yourself.

I used to run 6-8 miles on the weekends, work on the cars, the house, the yard, etc. Now, it is 2-3 miles, a long sit on the porch and then some working on things. Soon, it'll be a half mile walk and just sitting on the porch. Eventually, it'll be just sitting on the porch. It'll still be fun though.

Impact wrenches, floor jacks and timing go a long way. That said, not knowing how old you are, there are a lot of guys younger than you who would have a hard time recovering from what you just did, if they could do it all.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
D. Thomas

Do not put your tools away.
Leave them out for another day.
R. Felipe
Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Damn I feel this way also. I never thought i would. It is making for a real dilemma as I want to own a R230 once in my life but given what they cost to repair would only own one if I wrenched on it myself, which as it been pointed out becomes less appealing every day. Part of my issue is that I live in a 100 year old house which I have to admit is winning the battle.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
640i Gran Coupé
I'm with you, Larry. I enjoy doing things myself, but there comes a time when saving the money by DIY just isn't worth it any more. For example, last year my neighbors and I all got together to rent an aerator for the yards, so I saved a bunch of money doing it myself. Then I missed a day of work and had to get a massage to let my back recover from all of the damage that I did, wrestling that monster around. Next time, I'll hire some youngster to do it...
Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by beemer guy
I'm with you, Larry. I enjoy doing things myself, but there comes a time when saving the money by DIY just isn't worth it any more. For example, last year my neighbors and I all got together to rent an aerator for the yards, so I saved a bunch of money doing it myself. Then I missed a day of work and had to get a massage to let my back recover from all of the damage that I did, wrestling that monster around. Next time, I'll hire some youngster to do it...
Yep, did that ones a few years back.

That machine looked easy when the law guy used it, self propelled and all.
It's a trap!