E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

First time post and need help with an issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
First time post and need help with an issue

I have an 07 e350 sport with 70k and my father hit a curb last year and tore a small chunk of the sidewall. I took it to a conti dealer and showed the tire and he said it was just the outside and not to worry about it. So I didn't change the tire. Now I hear a slow speed roughness in the chassis and goes away at hi-way speeds. I checked the inside of the tire and its all choppy. I took out my camber meter and it is has 2% neg compared to 1% neg on the other side so I ordered a new tire. Today I went to check to see if I can add more positive camber but could not see any adjustments without taking off the tire. While checking I also tried moving the wheel for looseness in a ball joint and found a little movement top to bottom. Had me dad move the tire and I carefully checked all the ball joints and they are all tight. Could he have damaged to wheel bearing or can I just tighten it slightly?
Sorry long.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211
sounds like it just needs an alignment, probably hit it just hard enough to throw it off.

that or maybe the chunk was big enough to throw the balance off and it just needs to be re-balanced. i would wait for the new tire to be mounted and balanced since you have already paid for that.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Thanks crafty for the response. You don't think I have to worry about that slight movement in the wheel? I was planning on doing the alignment as soon as I mount the tire anyway.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211
i don't think so, i mean you have been driving it for over a year after he hit the curb. if it was anything serious, you would have encountered it long ago. how much movement are we talking about? do you get any bumper steer?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:06 PM

Thanks again for the reply. The wheel moves slightly. I am used to it being tight. I am going to look at the wheel bearing.