E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CPS not as hard as it looks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
CPS not as hard as it looks

So I decided to take the plunge and change my Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) $52.20 at Napa Part# CSS9028SB on my '03 W211, and low and behold changing it wasn't as hard as finding it. I will post some pictures to make it a little easier as I found it pretty difficult to find an accurate write up for my engine.

Here's the bad news, as I was pushing hoses and wires around trying to locate this little gem. I broke the hose that comes from the Throttle Body to the engine, its not really rubber but more plastic and pretty fragile. I went to Napa and O'Reilly auto parts looking for a replacement and no joy. I called some of the Indie's out here and they didn't have it. Reluctantly I called the dealership, and they have it in stock for $35 not too bad-I think. So until I get down to the dealership in the morning I am running around with a piece of radiator hose in its place.

Lesson from this, be careful around the hoses. Oh and once I found the CPS my hand automatically knows where to go now...crazy as its not as difficult to find once you know where to look.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Ohh.. Those wires made out of crap! Why would they use it anyway..
Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 PM

2003 E320
So as promised here are the photos I took of the wire to the CPS and of the hose I broke MB part# A 112 018 04 82 only $30.75 at the dealership. Back to the wires for the CPS, locate the group of wires in the first photo and branching out of these towards the bottom is the smaller set of wires-follow these till you hit the CPS. I was able to use a 1/4 6point socket to take out the small screw, be sure to only use your tools to loosen the screw and use your hand to do the rest-the screw is pretty small and easy to lose. Enjoy.

Here is the socket I was able to use.

Locate this set of wires and feel around the bottom until you feel a smaller set of wires

These are the small wires you are looking for, follow these down and at the end is the CPS. The screw is on the bottom side.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:14 PM

2003 E320
Oh and here is a shot of the hose after I broke it...