E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E550 headache so far but hope it gets better! Misfire or mounts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
E550 headache so far but hope it gets better! Misfire or mounts?

Hello all,
Good to have joined this forum.

I've just purchased a 2008 e550; 4matic with 50k miles. Full service history and looks great.

Within the first 2 weeks I've had to replace both front control arms and the heater fan. Ok, wear and tear I suppose.

But now the car has developed some kind of misfire, I think anyway.

There's a steady vibration coming through the steering and pedals whilst slowly building up the revs. Also a slight hesitation when accelerating hard.

Now I've had the engine and transmission mounts checked but no leaks and they are apparently fine.

I can also almost hear the hesitation when idling and revving the engine. Best way to describe is like a faint flutter I suppose.

Any ideas what this could be?

Really spoiling the driving experience so I'm desperate to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Edd
Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Engine misfires will throw a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) light and show in the OBD2 data file. Purchase an OBD2 tool that will allow you to scan and/or log data.

Steady vibration building with revs or with road speed? Possible wheel balance issue and not the engine? New car for you so it may take time to learn its personality.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:21 PM

E550
Thanks for the reply.

No codes even after plugging in the scanner whilst at the garage.

The vibration is actually present and builds with revs, not speed, so that's the balancing eliminated.

Idling and slowly building up the revs generates the vibration through the pedals and wheels. Funnily enough it feels like, and it may be my imagination, there is more vibration whilst stood still and building up the revs than whilst actually driving.

Does that make sense?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by Eddharris550
Thanks for the reply.

No codes even after plugging in the scanner whilst at the garage.

The vibration is actually present and builds with revs, not speed, so that's the balancing eliminated.

Idling and slowly building up the revs generates the vibration through the pedals and wheels. Funnily enough it feels like, and it may be my imagination, there is more vibration whilst stood still and building up the revs than whilst actually driving.

Does that make sense?

What's the temperature outside?
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Possible bad ignition coils with a poor quality spark that's causing this, usually it takes a while for codes to show up and the check engine light to come on. That's been my issue at least.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
when I had problems with my mounts, I feel vibrations on the steering and pedals ONLY when the car is on drive or reverse. I felt very little vibrations when the car is idling on P. Im not sure if this is the same case with your car but.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 PM

E550
Thanks for the replies.

Oh man, well today the key less entry on the drivers side door stopped working. No reaction when pulling the handle or pressing the buttons. The other doors are fine.

Also, I came to a stop at some lights and thought I had some jungle music playing on the radio - could hear the faint banging of drums. So I turned down the radio and it was still there! Turned off the heating, still there!

A faint drum pounding like sound coming from the back.

Slipped the car into neutral and the sound went away.

What have I got myself into?!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Thanks for the replies.

Oh man, well today the key less entry on the drivers side door stopped working. No reaction when pulling the handle or pressing the buttons. The other doors are fine.

Also, I came to a stop at some lights and thought I had some jungle music playing on the radio - could hear the faint banging of drums. So I turned down the radio and it was still there! Turned off the heating, still there!

That's a LOT of troubles for a car with only 50k on it. You sure it wasn't in a major collision?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Thanks for the replies.

A very common problem with the handle. You might need a new handle. There's some old threads about changing out the handle yourself, it shouldn't take too long. Price of the handle ranges from $160-$200. If you're lucky, it's just some corrosion on the connector, some have reported just cleaning the connection and then it works again.