E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HELP!!! Can't get new Passenger Seat Control Module for 2003 E500 to work

Old 10-31-2014, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
HELP!!! Can't get new Passenger Seat Control Module for 2003 E500 to work

Hey all ... I have my mom's 2003 E500. The car has only 42,000 miles, but the passenger side seat adjustments haven't worked for about 2-3 years. My brother - an ASE-Certified mechanic - always said the control module under the seat was the problem, but he never took the time to fix it for our mom (long story). Now, she has come up to live with me and we want to get the seat fixed. So I purchased a genuine OE replacement module from German Auto Supply in North Carolina. I took out the old module, gave them the part number, and they sold me the newer part with the newer part number. I gave it to my mechanic here in Nashville (a very good mechanic) and he replaced the module, but the seat still will not adjust or move in any direction.
Any thoughts on what to do from here? He's already checked all the switches, etc. Wondering if the module has to be programmed before installation? I was told by Mercedes in Atlanta that the module should be simply "plug in and go."
Is this correct? What are we doing wrong? What are we missing?
Any information at this point would be extremely helpful. And thanks in advance for your time.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon - CCB & CF package
Visit a local dealer or an indy that will be able to hook the car upto the STAR controller. He should be able to view and clear the codes for the passenger seat. Turn the car off, lock it for 30 secs, get in and it should all work again. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that the "driver-side SAM" controls the seats...

I had a similar issue with my HVAC controls. One of my buttons stopped working so I got a replacement that would not work. Told me i was low on freon, etc. Resetting battery didn't help, but resetting the system via STAR did the trick. Worked ever since.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Correct, replacement of passenger seat module requires clearing fault memory and resetting weight sensing system using MB SDS.