E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DRL & HID Question

Old 11-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
DRL & HID Question

I have searched high and low and cannot seem to find this answer. My understanding with the DRL's is that they run the low beam bulb at half power during the day, and go to full power at night when the sensor senses that your lights are needed. Sometimes, during the day, when I pull into my garage I will notice the lights get brighter.
Now the question, if I install HID's, how does this affect the operation of the DRL function? Can the HID's run at half power? Anything I need to do when I install the HID's?
Thank you,
Mike T.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I have searched high and low and cannot seem to find this answer. My understanding with the DRL's is that they run the low beam bulb at half power during the day, and go to full power at night when the sensor senses that your lights are needed. Sometimes, during the day, when I pull into my garage I will notice the lights get brighter.
Now the question, if I install HID's, how does this affect the operation of the DRL function? Can the HID's run at half power? Anything I need to do when I install the HID's?
Thank you,
Mike T.
No DRL half power function w/after market HID's and probably w/OEM's too, thus why most new car have LED's for running lights. HID bulbs already run on something like 8V, I think after they start.