E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SBC failure or something else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 w221 S550 4Matic 2010 GLK350 4Matic 1981 280CE
SBC failure or something else?

Hey guys, had a strange incident a few minutes ago. I just picked my 2004 E320 4Matic wagon up yesterday after having the brakes serviced. My local mechanic did the pads and rotors, which were no issue, after I heard the typical grinding noise that I would associate with worn pads. Indeed they were worn, and all else appeared fine.

I picked the car up, drove approximately 50 miles last evening and everything was fine, again no issue. I drove to my office this morning 17 miles over hills, etc, and had no issue either.

When I left to go to lunch, almost immediately after pulling out of my parking lot I had the red dash warning of Brake failure, stop immediately, the car throttle was limited and the pedal has zero pressure. I pulled to the side, no brake pressure, could not accelerate and then when I stopped I put it in park and could not return it to drive. I opened the hood immediately to see if there was limited fluid or something like that, and immediately heard the SBC buzzing heavily.

The car sat for approximately 5 minutes, I restarted it and everything went away. I drove through a parking lot for about half a mile, no issues, and then let it sit again. I drove it again after 5 or so more minutes and again no issue.

Does this sound like something that could be related to the recent brake repair work?

Thanks!!

Sean
Old 11-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The SBC issues are because the installer no doubt did not have or follow the deactivation process in DAS Xentry nor did he follow the activation process when pads are replaced----I'd take the car back to your uncle and ask him how he accomplished the procedure and when he is going to!!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
The SBC issues are because the installer no doubt did not have or follow the deactivation process in DAS Xentry nor did he follow the activation process when pads are replaced----I'd take the car back to your uncle and ask him how he accomplished the procedure and when he is going to!!
Thanks for your reply Plutoe! So in this case, it unfortunately wasn't my uncle or any other family member that did the repair, but rather a local mechanic who was unfamiliar with DAS Xentry (as am I for that matter) or its role in the replacement of pads and rotors.

Is there anything that can be done at this point to remedy the activation issue?

Thanks again!
-Sean
Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 AM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by drohalloran
Thanks for your reply Plutoe! So in this case, it unfortunately wasn't my uncle or any other family member that did the repair, but rather a local mechanic who was unfamiliar with DAS Xentry (as am I for that matter) or its role in the replacement of pads and rotors.

Is there anything that can be done at this point to remedy the activation issue?

Thanks again!
-Sean
Hey Sean, if you wanna hang out with us here, you've got to get used to Plutoe, he's the drill sergeant on this planet. He gets real cranky when he doesn't get to use his DAS Xentry for a few days. So, I'll let him tell you a little more about it, hoping he'll snap back to tranquility.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD

"Is there anything that can be done at this point to remedy the activation issue?"

To play it safe----Find someone or firm that has the correct diagnostic equipment to complete the installation!

Hopefully with this episode you will be more aware and knowledgable that not every shop in the hood can work on MB's.

Remember if he dosent have the MB diagnostic equipment or equal it's going to get expensive------for you!!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Plutoe

"Is there anything that can be done at this point to remedy the activation issue?"

To play it safe----Find someone or firm that has the correct diagnostic equipment to complete the installation!

Hopefully with this episode you will be more aware and knowledgable that not every shop in the hood can work on MB's.

Remember if he dosent have the MB diagnostic equipment or equal it's going to get expensive------for you!!

Thanks again for your advice Plutoe,

So my question is this: the installation is complete, the car is operable in terms of the brakes functioning as normal, so do I now need to go to a MB facility to have the SBC reactivated or is there something they need do via STAR to rectify the issue that I had yesterday?

Thanks again!
-Sean
Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
MB DAS through dealer or independent will retrieve stored fault code(s) identifying malfunction and allow for proper repair and/or confirm SBC is operating properly.