Cluster replacement becoming cluster $%@#

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E200 Kompressor
Cluster replacement becoming cluster $%@#

Hi All,

About 12 months ago I swapped my cluster over from a plain classic black to a nice Avangarde sliver and white one. It worked perfectly and all functions were fine.

I swapped it back last night just because I wanted to and when I plugged the original cluster back in...nothing, it was dead. So I plugged the replacement one back in that was working perfectly a few minutes before and ...nothing, no sign of life on the cluster. Check pins, check connections - all look fine, nothing bent or burnt.

Did some searching and found fuses 52 and 64 in engine bay can be a cause so checked every fuse in the car - engine bay, driver side dash and LHS boot - all are OK.

Disconnected battery for a while, no change. Read reports of just leaving it over night to 'sort itself out.' Did this and still nothing.

The car started this morning and drives fine apart from a dead instrument cluster - then I notice climate control showing odd codes and blowing hot and cold air out of different vents, central locking not working via key or remote, headlights always on regardless of switch position, light sensor doing the opposite, dimming all dash lights in bright sun and turning up dash lights to full in darkness ( may be related to rheostat not operating in dead cluster?)

Anyway, I am speculating something has gone on the fritz, any ideas please. Next steps? Has some voltage module cracked it?

Your thoughts and input most appreciated - cheers Justin
Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The very short answer is put the original IC back and get a good scan----that is a very complicated system and if you start putzing around with something you know nothing about it will get expensive!!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
+1 ^

...and dont forget the old saying...if it aint broken, dont fix it.
...unless youre trying to modify it. goodluck mate!