08 E550 weak points

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M roadster
08 E550 weak points

Hi everyone!
I'm considering to buy this model and will look at a couple of those (not 4-Matic). I was wondering if there are any model specific weaknesses to be concerned with. This should not be affected by the sprocket material. I am aware of the airmatic suspension- is there anything to look for there?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:50 PM

BMW M roadster
Bump
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I don't think they sold that many of them vs the E350 so aside from the engine difference, probably most of the same problems you'd see in an E350. See if you can find one with the P2 package. Of those E550's out there, should be easier to find one that's loaded with options. Panorama roof, trunk closer, folding rear seats, parktronic, ipod kit, wired for bluetooth, and manual side blinds are some options to look for. If it has P2, make sure all the door handles work on the keyless go and with P1 make sure the rear power blinds work. Check to see if it has the bluetooth puck in the center console. Remember that you can get 2 months of free Sirius once you get the car. And the usual get the VMI from the Mercedes dealer and get a PPI done.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:16 AM

BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I don't think they sold that many of them vs the E350 so aside from the engine difference, probably most of the same problems you'd see in an E350. See if you can find one with the P2 package. Of those E550's out there, should be easier to find one that's loaded with options. Panorama roof, trunk closer, folding rear seats, parktronic, ipod kit, wired for bluetooth, and manual side blinds are some options to look for. If it has P2, make sure all the door handles work on the keyless go and with P1 make sure the rear power blinds work. Check to see if it has the bluetooth puck in the center console. Remember that you can get 2 months of free Sirius once you get the car. And the usual get the VMI from the Mercedes dealer and get a PPI done.
Thanks for the reply! Are there specific issues with the w211 of this year that you know of?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:27 AM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
There's nothing wrong with an 08 e550 but if you're shopping around I would suggest an 09 e550. 09 has the newer better infotainment system including nav upgrade which is the big one. The only concern for an 08 09 rwd e550 would probably be the airmatic system. It's more of a wear and tear item to me but when it breaks, it's quite expensive to repair. 08s and 09s pretty much have all problems worked out in my opinion.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 AM

BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
There's nothing wrong with an 08 e550 but if you're shopping around I would suggest an 09 e550. 09 has the newer better infotainment system including nav upgrade which is the big one. The only concern for an 08 09 rwd e550 would probably be the airmatic system. It's more of a wear and tear item to me but when it breaks, it's quite expensive to repair. 08s and 09s pretty much have all problems worked out in my opinion.
Thanks for the insights! If I can find a 2009, then I would prefer that. Not that easy to find...
Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Don't forget the AMG models too, but then again, those are also as rare as the E550 and more money. They did have Distronic available as an option which can't be had with the E550 or E350 if you can find one.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:59 PM

BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Don't forget the AMG models too, but then again, those are also as rare as the E550 and more money. They did have Distronic available as an option which can't be had with the E550 or E350 if you can find one.
Thanks for the input.
I am aware of the E63 model, but I am not really looking for those. I have a sportbike and a BMW m-roadster to play with should I be in that mood. So I'm thinking the AMG is a bit too much of a brute for what I'm after.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E550
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the '08 E550. I've had my a very short time and it runs like a charm and is very solid, with decent power to boot.

I don't look forward to the day that I have to deal with the airmatic issues.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM

BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by ParadiseLV
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the '08 E550. I've had my a very short time and it runs like a charm and is very solid, with decent power to boot.

I don't look forward to the day that I have to deal with the airmatic issues.
Yes, the suspension seems to be the weak point on these cars. But I have done some work on suspensions before, but never on air suspensions.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:44 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
The Air-matic compared to a convectional setup is night and day in ride quality, control and road noise. Part of me really wishes I picked up one with air-matic, but with the issues that the system has made me shy away. I like my car, but i would enjoy it more with air-matic.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:11 AM

BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
The Air-matic compared to a convectional setup is night and day in ride quality, control and road noise. Part of me really wishes I picked up one with air-matic, but with the issues that the system has made me shy away. I like my car, but i would enjoy it more with air-matic.
To be honest, I haven't ridden in a car with the airmatic suspension, but I've heard that they are great.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E550
Originally Posted by The Thomas J

No doubt about that. Recently took a trip from Vegas to Flagstaff. Comfort setting, car raised. Felt like I was in my Lincoln Town Car.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:28 PM

BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by ParadiseLV
No doubt about that. Recently took a trip from Vegas to Flagstaff. Comfort setting, car raised. Felt like I was in my Lincoln Town Car.
In your town car? Is that supposed to be praise?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
On Airmatic...

I think the whole airmatic 'scare' is completely overblown.

First off, riding on airmatic is fantastic, it is an incredible system. Three settings to enjoy. Plus it adjusts height as you drive, and speed increases. On my GL I have used the 'lift' function to help launch my boat - I can proceed deeper down the ramp.

As normal shocks eventually leak and fade, so will airmatic bladders.

Under warranty, these are covered items.

Past warranty, you have Arnott Industries. Arnott supplies re-mans that are excellent, for more than half off MB pricing. I have used them on my GL.

I replaced both rear air bladders on my GL for $350 CDN total. 30 mins a side. I have also replaced front shocks on the GL. Easy job, you need a puller for the upper control arm.

My E550 has had the rears replaced under warranty/goodwill. On the E550, the rear air suspension has a reserve system that usually fails before the bladders do. This is an expensive fix. However, Arnott recommends their new rear bladders which allow you to bypass the reserves, which are likely over-engineered anyway. I would not hesistate to go this route if mine failed out of warranty.

In terms of other known issues on the E550 - I would also suggest an '09 for the updated nav/entertainment system. My nav DVD player in the trunk recently failed. Annoying that such a great car has an archaic system for the data. MY 09+ uses a HDD/flash system and accepts SD cards.

If your trunk light goes out with the rear lights, there is a known issue where a brown ground wire is usually cut or frayed inside the trunk hinge arm. Over time, it is compressed and eventually breaks. Easy fix.

Early E550's can also have a known transfer case issue that causes shuddering and vibration at slow speeds, especially when turning the wheel at slow speeds - e.g. parking. This should have been sorted by '08. Fix is an updated transfer case.

Other than regular maintenance items, my E550 has been a fantastic car. Close to 180,000 Kms now.

Some maintenance items can be pricey - xenon system for example. If you have the sport model, the brakes are large with drilled rotors.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:33 PM

BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by BenzboyW210
I think the whole airmatic 'scare' is completely overblown.

First off, riding on airmatic is fantastic, it is an incredible system. Three settings to enjoy. Plus it adjusts height as you drive, and speed increases. On my GL I have used the 'lift' function to help launch my boat - I can proceed deeper down the ramp.

As normal shocks eventually leak and fade, so will airmatic bladders.

Under warranty, these are covered items.

Past warranty, you have Arnott Industries. Arnott supplies re-mans that are excellent, for more than half off MB pricing. I have used them on my GL.

I replaced both rear air bladders on my GL for $350 CDN total. 30 mins a side. I have also replaced front shocks on the GL. Easy job, you need a puller for the upper control arm.

My E550 has had the rears replaced under warranty/goodwill. On the E550, the rear air suspension has a reserve system that usually fails before the bladders do. This is an expensive fix. However, Arnott recommends their new rear bladders which allow you to bypass the reserves, which are likely over-engineered anyway. I would not hesistate to go this route if mine failed out of warranty.

In terms of other known issues on the E550 - I would also suggest an '09 for the updated nav/entertainment system. My nav DVD player in the trunk recently failed. Annoying that such a great car has an archaic system for the data. MY 09+ uses a HDD/flash system and accepts SD cards.

If your trunk light goes out with the rear lights, there is a known issue where a brown ground wire is usually cut or frayed inside the trunk hinge arm. Over time, it is compressed and eventually breaks. Easy fix.

Early E550's can also have a known transfer case issue that causes shuddering and vibration at slow speeds, especially when turning the wheel at slow speeds - e.g. parking. This should have been sorted by '08. Fix is an updated transfer case.

Other than regular maintenance items, my E550 has been a fantastic car. Close to 180,000 Kms now.

Some maintenance items can be pricey - xenon system for example. If you have the sport model, the brakes are large with drilled rotors.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your insight! Much appreciated!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:26 AM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
For exceptional comfort, grab a 550 with luxury package. They rock some puny looking 17 inch wheels but my god was it the most comfortable ride I've ever been in. If you're more into the looks department, consider the AMG Sports package ones.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:17 PM

BMW M roadster
I finally got a car!

The search proved difficult, finding lots of cars with leaking shocks, actually, all of the 5 cars I looked at in the last few days had this problem. At last, I found a car with extensive service records, and in good condition. It has 3 leaking shocks, which the dealer will provide me with new ones. I will do the installation myself.
The car is an 07 made in April of 2007. Thanks to you guys for your advice and konigstiger. Its a black on black car with a sport package and has 119,000 miles. I'm pretty excited!

Last edited by emilnat; 12-27-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by emilnat
The search proved difficult, finding lots of cars with leaking shocks, actually, all of the 5 cars I looked at in the last few days had this problem. At last, I found a car with extensive service records, and in good condition. It has 3 leaking shocks, which the dealer will provide me with new ones. I will do the installation myself.
The car is an 07 made in April of 2007. Thanks to you guys for your advice and konigstiger. Its a black on black car with a sport package and has 119,000 miles. I'm pretty excited!
You should do a check, if you haven't already, to ensure your car falls outside of the M272/273 balance shaft issue. Thread here -

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...nce-shaft.html

You can run your VIN, get your engine serial number and compare against known affected range in the thread above.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:19 PM

BMW M roadster
Originally Posted by BenzboyW210
You should do a check, if you haven't already, to ensure your car falls outside of the M272/273 balance shaft issue. Thread here -

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...nce-shaft.html

You can run your VIN, get your engine serial number and compare against known affected range in the thread above.
The build date puts this car in the safe timing from what I understand.