Starting Issue E500...CPS Changed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Starting Issue E500...CPS Changed

I initially towed my car to the dealer because it didn't start on a "cold" California morning (50ish degrees or so). I was expecting it to be due to the crank position sensor but the only thing they found was that my battery needed replacing.

Fast forward to getting my car back and it was fine for a few days. Went to start it again in the morning and it would not start. I bought a crank position sensor and swapped it myself. It started right up and I thought all is well.

Fast forward a few more days and I go to drive my car half an hour after returning from work. It starts up but then sputters and dies within seconds. I try again with the same results. This is the first time I have had an issue with it being already warmed up.

I wait a few hours and try again but this time it won't start at all. I plug in my scanner no codes. I wiggle the wire to the CPS (I had noticed it looked almost crimped when I swapped them out) and then go to start the car to the same sputtering.

Any takers? New CPS faulty? Never the CPS to begin with? It runs beautifully otherwise. Thanks.