E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320 Wagon 4matic - replacing air suspension compressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320
E320 Wagon 4matic - replacing air suspension compressor

I need to replace the air suspension compressor on my wife wagon. Searched online for schematics but I could not find anything.

I believe the compressor is located on the driver side front wheel well, Should I remove the liner or try to access it from the engine side?
Any idea how long is going to take?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 AM

2008 E350, 2010 GL550
If your car is just leveling bags in the rear I think it's still the same as the full airmatic car which is in the right front. Just pull the wheel and fender liner off if a lift isn't available and its held on by 3 nuts (8mm I believe) but be careful when pulling it down there's a spring above each nut to dampen the compressor when it's running. Other than those it's just the air line and electrical connector.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E500
Hi 4upf,

I will be replacing my air compressor with the brand new one in couple weeks as well.

I "rebuilt" the air compressor last year on my E500 with the piston ring repair kit and it was easily accessible. But my air compressor is getting weaker again through Star/DAS test, so I will be replacing it.

My car's air compressor is located on driver's side underneath the front bumper. I think yours should be the same. Remove the black plastic cover underneath the front bumper and you should be able to see the air compressor. You can go further and remove the front left wheel and take the black cover out inside the wheel well and it may assist you with installation.

If you are just replacing the air compressor, for me it would takes less than 30 minutes. But I like to take my time and make sure everything is installed correctly and do some inspection.

You can take a look at air compressor installation video from Arnott's. Different car and location of air compressor, but the installation process is the same.

Goodluck.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:11 PM

2003 S 500 4 MATIC , 2001 S 430 , 2003 ML 500
Replaceing the compressor isnt to hard , but i have an issue on my 05 E 500
The message comes up on the dashboard saying airmatic visit work shop
So of course i took the wheel and lower cover inner fender cover as well found the hose that runs from compressor to the filter was ripped and was hanging from the other side i have replaced plenty of air compressors but i have no clue where the hose coming off of the filter goes can any one help me out with this ?

Last edited by S430LUCKDRAGON; 04-26-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:17 PM

Mercedes-Benz E500
Hi S430,

Not sure how your hose is ripped, but try to connect one end of the hose to the air compressor. The other end should be left open to let the air suck into the compressor. I believe the other end hose was left hanging loose from the factory. So I would attach the hose left hanging to the frame of the car, or any part you can attach the hose to, using the multiple strings or zip-ties.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 PM

2008 E350, 2010 GL550
Originally Posted by S430LUCKDRAGON
Replaceing the compressor isnt to hard , but i have an issue on my 05 E 500
The message comes up on the dashboard saying airmatic visit work shop
So of course i took the wheel and lower cover inner fender cover as well found the hose that runs from compressor to the filter was ripped and was hanging from the other side i have replaced plenty of air compressors but i have no clue where the hose coming off of the filter goes can nay one help me out with this ?
Do you have any pictures if you haven't figured it out?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:09 PM

Sorry Blitz2639 i dont have pictures of it but its the filter and rubber hose that come off of the compressor And Round Goby im 100% sure it pumps air out not sucks it in
As a matter of fact here is how it looks on my s class but set up is different on my E class you should get the idea of what im saying

Last edited by S430LUCKDRAGON; 04-26-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:44 PM

Mercedes-Benz E500
Hi S430,

Interesting, I have never thought of it that way. That black hose with filter would pump air out. I compared air compressor with the engine. Engine have air filter to let the air in to let the engine do it thing. I assume the same for air compressor, having air filter to let the air in to compress air and send the air to airmatic system through the white line.

Did you notice the black hose with filter on your s class connected to something?

I left my hose remain "open" to atmosphere for now, I guess it was to let the air in, and haven't had visit workshop malfunction since after replacing the compressor.

But I may be wrong, hopefully someone else will clarify this for us. I was just using common sense. It would be interesting to know exactly what that black hose does so that I can fix it and connect it somewhere if needed.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:00 PM

It goes some where my man and some body and here knows exactly where lets wait and see
Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 AM

E320
I am the OP and wanted to give a quick update.

I replaced the compressor which is located on the front, left-hand side of the 2005 E320 (looking from inside the car).

Very simple procedure; lift the car, remove wheel, remove five plastic nuts, two screws and two plastic fasteners and the liner comes right out.
The compressor is right there easily accessible. Three bolts hold the compressor hanging on springs.
There are two hoses one high-pressure going to the springs and one bigger going to the filter, the other side of the filter has a black hose attached to it that is just open to the air.
Two connectors are used for the compressor motor and the valve.
Installing the new compressor is just the reverse sequence.

Now the suspensions work fine again BUT there is still one problem... I still have the error in the dash that shows the vehicle with an arrow and something about suspensions, I thought it just needed the fault to be cleared so I took it to a local indie shop and they told me is a "faulty pressure release valve". They cleared it and it came back right up and they say is probably a defective valve and the whole compressor needs to be replaced!

I went home, removed the liner again and tried energizing the valve and it works just fine I could hear the clicking noise and a puff of air coming out.

Any suggestions? I would really like to get all the messages on the dash cleared for once!

Last edited by 4puf; 05-04-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by 4puf
I am the OP and wanted to give a quick update.

I replaced the compressor which is located on the front, left-hand side of the 2005 E320 (looking from inside the car).

Very simple procedure; lift the car, remove wheel, remove five plastic nuts, two screws and two plastic fasteners and the liner comes right out.
The compressor is right there easily accessible. Three bolts hold the compressor hanging on springs.
There are two hoses one high-pressure going to the springs and one bigger going to the filter, the other side of the filter has a black hose attached to it that is just open to the air.
Two connectors are used for the compressor motor and the valve.
Installing the new compressor is just the reverse sequence.

Now the suspensions work fine again BUT there is still one problem... I still have the error in the dash that shows the vehicle with an arrow and something about suspensions, I thought it just needed the fault to be cleared so I took it to a local indie shop and they told me is a "faulty pressure release valve". They cleared it and it came back right up and they say is probably a defective valve and the whole compressor needs to be replaced!

I went home, removed the liner again and tried energizing the valve and it works just fine I could hear the clicking noise and a puff of air coming out.

Any suggestions? I would really like to get all the messages on the dash cleared for once!
There is a pneumatic test for these airmatic compressors. It has to reach a certain (BAR) or psi. If it doesn't, compressor needs to be replaced. Is your compressor loud? Like really loud? Cause if so that means its about to take a ***** on you. Replace it.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:10 PM

E320
Originally Posted by cmriv
There is a pneumatic test for these airmatic compressors. It has to reach a certain (BAR) or psi. If it doesn't, compressor needs to be replaced. Is your compressor loud? Like really loud? Cause if so that means its about to take a ***** on you. Replace it.
It is brand new and very quiet.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 4puf
It is brand new and very quiet.
Did you replace the relay and fuse?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Or you could have a faulty new compressor... It does happens parts are bad before even being installed.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:36 AM

E320
Originally Posted by cmriv
Did you replace the relay and fuse?
It didn't even occurred to me to check those. Do you happen to know which fuse and relay control the compressor?
Is there a separate fuse for the valve itself?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Doubt it is the fuse (no separate fuse for valve), here is the relay.
Attached Thumbnails E320 Wagon 4matic - replacing air suspension compressor-capture.jpg