Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Transmission Problem

Hey Guys,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue. I am experiencing an issue in my 2003 e55 amg. The transmission has a flair between 2nd and 3rd gear. It will rev up and bang into the next gear between shifts. Everything is smooth except the 2 to 3 shift.. After being told there was something seriously wrong with it, against my better judgement I allowed a local shop to rebuild. I get the car back and in 10 miles it is doing the exact same thing. I bring the car in to the dealership and the shop foreman tells me its 100 percent internal. He reflashed the tcu to the latest flash. It didnt make a difference. The shop has pulled it apart 3 times now trying to find what the issue is, and quite frankly I dont believe the issue is inside the transmission. The conductor plate has been replaced (supposedly). Is this a tcu or Ecu issue? There are no codes. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. This has gone on for months now. I just want my car back.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
A company called Sonnax makes kits to fix issues with the 722.6 Don't know if they have one for your issue but it might be worth a call to them.
The shop that did this rebuild have they done them before on a 722.6?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Thanks for the response. I will certainly give them a call. I have a hard time believing it's not the TCU or Conductor Plate. Although I am not a Mechanic. MB Shop Foreman says he's never seen the TCU go out with out oil wicking through the harness, or without the car going into LIMP mode. The Trans shop claims to be familiar with these models and Guarantees me that's what it is (I have a hard time with such conflicting reports). Its not a cheap or quick "Try and See" Mb so said has to order TCU from germany!! Another Month and God knows how much Money for another MAYBE??!!