E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A/C "Acting Up?"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
A/C "Acting Up?"

My A/C would start 2-3 minutes after I would turn it on. I was told system was low on refrigerant R134. So, I was visiting a friend of mine like 50 miles away and he offered to add some R134.

Once he hooked up the pump with refrigerant, we started the A/C and he started to charge the system, he said car needed 3 more pounds of it. As he started to charge system, radiator fan started and ran for the 5 minutes the A/C was charging. He attributed the fan turning to extra load on the engine. Once we were done, I went on my way.

Today I was on freeway and temperature was like 104, so I had to use A/C. At one point, with A/C running, I could hear the radiator fan coming on, after which the cold air was gone, and this lasted for about 10 minutes, but it came back on by itself. Once I exited freeway, I stopped to check engine compartment. I saw radiator fan was on. On my dashboard, engine temp looked normal.

Now why did the cold air cut off for 10 minutes. Why is the radiator fan coming on now when I use the A/C? Before fan would not come on with A/C running.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E350 Wagon
Three *more* pounds? Iirc the system takes 2.2 lbs total refrigerant. You likely overfilled the system and may have already damaged your compressor. I don't say this often, but get thee to a qualified mechanic asap, and don't run the AC at all until then.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:15 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by purplegrog
Three *more* pounds? Iirc the system takes 2.2 lbs total refrigerant. You likely overfilled the system and may have already damaged your compressor. I don't say this often, but get thee to a qualified mechanic asap, and don't run the AC at all until then.
Does the system have a way of discharging extra refrigerant? I recall looking at the charging unit which showed 27 before charging, and after we were done it had gone up to 30. I'm assuming these are not lbs. numbers, that is if the system only takes 2.2 lbs.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yes, however, it's kinda like a manual idiot switch---the procedure is very simple, well for most, first find the H or L shrader valve, second remove the cap, three look at the valve and wada you see--kinda like a tire valve--now the next step takes a little thought---do you remember how to let air out of a tire--if you do follow the same procedure---However I must warn you that it is illegal to vent AC systems into the air, therefore do it at night!!
Old 07-02-2015, 07:50 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Yes, however, it's kinda like a manual idiot switch---the procedure is very simple, well for most, first find the H or L shrader valve, second remove the cap, three look at the valve and wada you see--kinda like a tire valve--now the next step takes a little thought---do you remember how to let air out of a tire--if you do follow the same procedure---However I must warn you that it is illegal to vent AC systems into the air, therefore do it at night!!
Awesome! which shrader valve needs venting, right or left? They sit right next to each other.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I knew you would need further clarification, therefore I boned up on an answer--remember that if the system has refrigerant the system is under a pressure and think of the system as an old two hole out house---well you have a choice of a dump on the right or left side--well similar analogy---you have two valves that open----which one will lower the pressure if opened---now think of another dump--which side will add more dump to the outhouse--correct--either side, therefore which valve when opened will reduce the pressure---I'll leave that answer to your little mind!!!