E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Window switch inop; smart key cure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Window switch inop; smart key cure

This may be news for a few of the readers here, but probably is old hat for most of you. I mention it for those who may not have known about this or may have forgotten it, and I was one of the latter until yesterday.

Wife rolled down the windows a half-inch or so in her E350 yesterday while it was parked at her workplace. Temps reached 98-100˚ during the day. When she returned to the car, she started the engine and rolled up the windows using the master control switches on the driver's door. But ... the right rear window would not respond to the master switch or to the switch on the right rear door. She drove home and reported the problem to me.

I tried the same things she did--master switch, door switch--and got the same results: a partially-open right rear window that wouldn't budge.

Remembering that the smart key, when activated within a coupla inches of the driver's door handle, could close the sunroof and all the windows, I pointed the key at the door and depressed the lock button. The right rear window immediately rolled shut. I then started the car and tested the master control switches for all the windows ... and everything worked perfectly.

It's things like this that make me appreciate MB's over-engineering our cars.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
That's the summer open/close feature. There's also the recirc button feature, hold it down and it closes all the windows and sunroof. Useful when driving into a tunnel. Once you're out, hold it down again and it will open them all back to the previous position.