E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

After market Android 4.4.4 Quad Core complete install. Vids and Pics and txt

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by garagequeen
Ok so I messed up and ran the antenna wire backwards, so I won't need that cord I ordered.

So the only thing I ordered was the radio and 6meter cable.

What doesn't work, the sub in the rear seat head rest place.

Sounds like stock but with no bass.

So ran RCA cables and a AMP wire from the back of the radio (the plug kit came with the radio) to the amp in the trunk.

Power wire and amp fuse ran from battery to amp.

ground wire ran from ground point on the body to the amp.

Boom got a sub working. Will be making a custom box to fix where I have this one, just wanted to make sure it worked. This amp and sub were out of my old truck.

Ran all the wires down the driverside( US driver side)

GPS, radio, bluetooth, mic all work fine.

Well I can't upload photos from my computer now. I'll try when I go into the house.
So you did decide to go with the rca outs from the head unit (was there enough space)? That's good to hear I was wondering if there is any benefit or if the preamp outs are pretty much nothing on the head unit. I am very close to pulling the trigger and I think I might be going with this amp as alpine underrated their specs and it should be able to fit in the area where the stock merc amp went
Amazon.com : Alpine MRV-V500 5-channel Car Amplifier : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Alpine MRV-V500 5-channel Car Amplifier : Car Electronics
.... I may just end up going with one of these 8inch displays even though they have slower processor and 4.4.2 android they do happen to have built in subwoofer volume control which is something i dont see on any of the rk3188 units.

Last edited by Dnasty; 02-21-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:54 PM

2010 e550 coupe
I was just sent this on ali express regarding the fiber optic box... I just figured i'd share it as they claim it works with all our cars infact the sales rep gauranteed that this will work and retain all amp and cd changer function. She gained my trust because she told me that the r16 was not a quad core a9 like all the other sellers on there. Has anyone tried this or have any experience with it?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car
Ya I got the RCA cables to fit in there. It really is easy to hook up.

The cable and deck.

Then your own amp and subs.

Stop over thinking and just do it.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:44 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by garagequeen
Ya I got the RCA cables to fit in there. It really is easy to hook up.

The cable and deck.

Then your own amp and subs.

Stop over thinking and just do it.
Yea you're right the only problem is the headunit I want has dated technology in it so I'm kind of hoping they release one with the rk3188 or mabye the new octacore. Also that device i posted just above your post if that does in fact work I was thinking I could use that to keep all the fiber optic stuff still functioning and just tap into the four door speakers with a 4 channel amp and no need for the 6m cable harness.... lastly would you mind just telling me how you pull the carpeting up and the pillars off does everything jsut pry loose or are there tabs located somewhere.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
I just installed this on my car and having a few issues. Someone on the forums is already starting to help me, but I thought I would post here also so others know and hopefully can see how to resolve the same issues. Also added some pics

1. The volume controls and up/down don't appear to work. I found a post indicating that the Canbus may be turned off and it was. I turned it on in the factory settings menu password 126 .. however, the screen does not switch to backup camera mode when I put the car in reverse.
Factory settings menu:

Picked one of the Benz ones (tried two different ones but no reverse still)

This appears to be associated with Reversing and I have tried different combinations of checking the boxes, but still does not work. Maybe someone who has this working would be kind enough to check their settings against mine.

2. I cannot get the front camera to work. It is a USB camera. I read someone else is also having this issue (in this thread). There is supposed to be a Car DVR App installed (according to the seller) but I don't see it.

3. My GPS SD Card is empty. The iGo program does not appear to work. Fortunately, I installed Waze but always need to have a tethered connection ... once in a while Waze doesn't work when I really need it to due to poor network or some other issue, so I need to have a standalone piece of Nav software .. I still use Waze 90% of the time. The seller said the APK is supposed to be on the GPS SD Card provided, I checked on both Android OS and computer and it is empty.

4. I have the Torque app running now, it was a real pain and to be honest, I am not sure how I got it to work ... it was definitely non-intuitive .. I tried connecting several times from the Bluetooth menu but it would not connect .. when it did connect, then the Torque app couldn't find the ECU .. had to go into a sub menu to select the bluetooth device .. after that it still didn't connect for a while .. then all of a sudden it decided to connect and runs great every time now .. but the initial pairing was a pain.

I will likely install the custom ROM people have been installing, but want to make sure everything is working before I switch ROMs in case the seller claims I screwed something up. If you guys have any thoughts or experiences on this issues, please do share!

Thanks to all for posting pics and information .. I missed some of the information since this is a long thread ... for example I could not get the unit flush .. took me about 10 minutes to figure out that the stock location has two posts that stick out and the stock radio has holes to accommodate those, but this unit does not .. so those need to be cut off. As I was reading to find out how to fix the other issues, I found Joenobody posted the same issue. Here is a picture of the plastic nub/post. Even after cutting those posts off, the unit doesn't slide in very easily.

* Not sure what is going on with the pictures .. seems like tiny pic is cropping the weird

Last edited by turbo97se; 03-07-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
The android wiring harness has connections for the reverse signal, and you have to plug them together (on mine it was male/female round plugs). Not sure why they designed the harness to have those connectors, but if yours has them they need to be plugged together.

Verify the rear camera signal is visible, by enabling the front camera in the factory menu. Then you can run the fcam app that is now available, and manually switch to the rear camera view.

You can always go back to factory rom if needed. The latest Malask rom is leaps and bounds better than the stock one. Highly recommend upgrading that.

iGo isn't that great. I installed google maps, and then downloaded offline maps for my region.

Which USB camera are you using? You can download lots of different lane assist apps, and they will detect the USB camera and use that. I tried ionroad and it worked for me.
The following users liked this post:
turbo97se (03-12-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car
I so forgot about those plug things on the back of the radio. I just cut mine off.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Thanks for your help here. The reverse signal bullet connectors connected together and also the menu in factory settings - reverse switch needs to be unselected. Also the camera that came with the head unit had a power wire that runs the length of the RCA input cable. I tried to hook it up to the wire labelled cam power but it did not work. I hooked that one up to the reverse wires and the power comes up to 12V. The image now appears but is quite shaky.

I was wondering ... I know there are many different units ... but did you use this file at all? "update_4_4_4_FUSE_1024X600_RK3188_14_MAL_12_02_20 16.rar". I think I ordered the same unit as you did.

Originally Posted by JoeNobody
The android wiring harness has connections for the reverse signal, and you have to plug them together (on mine it was male/female round plugs). Not sure why they designed the harness to have those connectors, but if yours has them they need to be plugged together.

Verify the rear camera signal is visible, by enabling the front camera in the factory menu. Then you can run the fcam app that is now available, and manually switch to the rear camera view.

You can always go back to factory rom if needed. The latest Malask rom is leaps and bounds better than the stock one. Highly recommend upgrading that.

iGo isn't that great. I installed google maps, and then downloaded offline maps for my region.

Which USB camera are you using? You can download lots of different lane assist apps, and they will detect the USB camera and use that. I tried ionroad and it worked for me.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I got a wild hair up my butt ... I tried to install the latest Maleysk firmware but the head unit gets stuck in the Mercedes Logo screen. I have tried to reset the unit using a small pin but still stuck. I also tried to re-install the MCU.img file from the RAR file I mentioned in the last post from the recovery menu .. so I know the system isn't bricked at least ... but it still stays stuck in that mode ..

*update* I managed to get into the recovery mode by pressing the power button and holding it during boot. Sometimes a couple of tries before it will do it. Then select upgrade ROM and wipe or clear. This I think made the difference. I lost everything I installed unfortunately, but at least it boots now .. I can just re-install. My Torque app won't communicate with the OBD ELM 327 unit. I have paired it on bluetooth but Torque app says it can't find it and when I select Bluetooth interface connection, nothing shows up ... more research needed I think. Once I have everything set up I think it will be very nice ... just some pains getting it all setup. Thanks to all the help from guys on here for guidance.

By the way, this thing sucks quite a bit of power it seems. My battery was dead when I went to start it .. and I could not open the trunk with the key for the trunk! I remembered there was a red cable that runs from the passenger footwell to the trunk (behind the TCU). I managed to get jumper cables on there and had enough juice to pop the trunk open with the remote. Somehow the trunk lock got into a jammed state. After I removed the battery completely to charge it in the house, I accidentally shut the trunk because it was raining ... I thought I had screwed myself, but fortunately it opened with the key. Not sure what happened.

Last edited by turbo97se; 03-14-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:06 AM

2010 e550 coupe
This might be a silly question but how do you guys pry up the wood surrounding the gearshifter. Every youtube video i watch makes it look as easy as pie but when I apply the jaws of life to it doesn't budge. I'm scared to pull the thing to a certain extent cuz i can just see that wood just snapping in half. Any secrets to this? I even slid a plastic pry bar all around incase it was sticking.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The shifter plate should just pull up. It should be as simple as the videos make it out to be. If however, someone spilt coffee on it at some point or it has not been removed before, then it would be more difficult. I usually have more difficulty putting it back than pulling it out ... putting it back, I usually pull out the leather boot from the plate. That allows access to the front and underside of the shifter plate. This may possibly help in removal also. I am able to align the hooks better (that hold the shifter plate in position) when putting it back together when I do this.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
I'm so thinking about doing this because it looks oem. probably have it professionally installed

these head unit iPhone friendly?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:07 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by turbo97se
The shifter plate should just pull up. It should be as simple as the videos make it out to be. If however, someone spilt coffee on it at some point or it has not been removed before, then it would be more difficult. I usually have more difficulty putting it back than pulling it out ... putting it back, I usually pull out the leather boot from the plate. That allows access to the front and underside of the shifter plate. This may possibly help in removal also. I am able to align the hooks better (that hold the shifter plate in position) when putting it back together when I do this.
Yea I don't think it's ever been removed I even stuck a thin flatblade under one side and lifted it a bit but the thing just would not budge. How do you lift the leather boot?
Old 04-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
03' Mercedes-Benz E500
Did anyone upgrade to Android 5.1.1? How is it?

Last edited by Gangrene3075; 04-29-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
Im going to be installing one of the XTRONS android 5.1.1 units this weekend (Super excited.) I WONT be bypassing the amp, i will be using the AVIN MOST-MBE Interface, which basically turns the HU's analog speaker output into digital, and interfaces directly with the Fiber optic system. im going to do a full write up on it after its installed.

IMPORTANT QUESTION, where exactly can i find the CAN-B wires for steering wheel controls? Where exactly is there a plug or where do the wires run that i could splice onto? I cant find that information ANYWHERE. The can bus box for the Radio needs CAN-B + and - to Function, and i have no idea where to find these wires!!!! Someone please help?!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, past: SL55, 560SEL
Originally Posted by Rossafuss
Im going to be installing one of the XTRONS android 5.1.1 units this weekend (Super excited.) I WONT be bypassing the amp, i will be using the AVIN MOST-MBE Interface, which basically turns the HU's analog speaker output into digital, and interfaces directly with the Fiber optic system. im going to do a full write up on it after its installed. IMPORTANT QUESTION, where exactly can i find the CAN-B wires for steering wheel controls? Where exactly is there a plug or where do the wires run that i could splice onto? I cant find that information ANYWHERE. The can bus box for the Radio needs CAN-B + and - to Function, and i have no idea where to find these wires!!!! Someone please help?!
Which 5.1.1 unit are you exactly buying?
Old 05-07-2016, 09:09 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by tubaprde
I was curious as well i've seen many other 5.1.1 but not the xtrons i'm sure they are all essentially the same though.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 AM

Its this unit: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-5-1-...8AAOSwGYVXBMyW)
XTRONS has been pretty nice to deal with (at least so far.) Extremely fast responses to any questions i have, and shipping only took 3 days from Hong Kong.

I'm not sure if its running TRUE 5.1 or if its skinned 4.4.4, but I'm very impressed with it so far. The unit says its running 5.1.1 when you go into "about" in the settings menu. Very good sound quality, and the level of integration on the CAN-B network is incredible. Steering wheel controls, track names on instrument cluster, Night time dimming, reversing camera, and ACC are all controlled from the CAN connections. (I tapped into the can bridge in the driver side raceway.) The unit seems to be put together very well. CD player doesn't even skip when you hit massive Michigan potholes.

The AVIN MOST interface i used is very impressive as well. Allowed me to use the factory Amp and fiberoptics. Basically it allows you to install ANY aftermarket radio in your MOST equipped Benz and still retain the factory amp and fiber optic loop. Priced at $250, its a very attractive alternative to completely rewiring your audio system and installing a new amp.

I'm going to be doing a complete write up including a DIY install along with a few videos sometime this week. (I'm more active at Benzworld, so ill be doing that there.) ill post a link here once i'm done.

Last edited by Rossafuss; 05-09-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
e46 m3, w211 e55
[QUOTE=
I'm going to be doing a complete write up including a DIY install along with a few videos sometime this week. (I'm more active at Benzworld, so ill be doing that there.) ill post a link here once i'm done.[/QUOTE]

Please do. That would be great
Old 05-09-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by gazosnic
Please do. That would be great
Here you go gentlemen. I did a write up of the basic installation procedure as well a video review! check it out!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...l#post14336089

Just reiterating, i did NOT bypass the fiber optics and factory amp. the Box (like the one pictured by Dnasty above) is basically plug and play directly from the HU to the fiber optic plug. And the sound quality is just as good as factory.

In my opinion, this is a much better option than completely rewiring the entire audio system and installing a new amp.
The following users liked this post:
OEM Goodness (10-23-2018)
Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, past: SL55, 560SEL
Its this unit: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-5-1-...8AAOSwGYVXBMyW) XTRONS has been pretty nice to deal with (at least so far.) Extremely fast responses to any questions i have, and shipping only took 3 days from Hong Kong. I'm not sure if its running TRUE 5.1 or if its skinned 4.4.4, but I'm very impressed with it so far. The unit says its running 5.1.1 when you go into "about" in the settings menu. Very good sound quality, and the level of integration on the CAN-B network is incredible. Steering wheel controls, track names on instrument cluster, Night time dimming, reversing camera, and ACC are all controlled from the CAN connections. (I tapped into the can bridge in the driver side raceway.) The unit seems to be put together very well. CD player doesn't even skip when you hit massive Michigan potholes. The AVIN MOST interface i used is very impressive as well. Allowed me to use the factory Amp and fiberoptics. Basically it allows you to install ANY aftermarket radio in your MOST equipped Benz and still retain the factory amp and fiber optic loop. Priced at $250, its a very attractive alternative to completely rewiring your audio system and installing a new amp. I'm going to be doing a complete write up including a DIY install along with a few videos sometime this week. (I'm more active at Benzworld, so ill be doing that there.) ill post a link here once i'm done.
Can you rate the quality of the Bluetooth sound when talking on the phone for both yourself and the person on the other line please? People have had issues with their's echoing on the other line

Also this might be the first case of someone using the avin unit to bypass where it's working ...this is awesome news for E class owners
Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 PM

Can you rate the quality of the Bluetooth sound when talking on the phone for both yourself and the person on the other line please? People have had issues with their's echoing on the other line

Also this might be the first case of someone using the avin unit to bypass where it's working ...this is awesome news for E class owners
The sound quality on my end is very good, at least for a call from a cell phone. I sound crystal clear according to the people I've talked to, and that's using the MIC built into the unit! My Fiancée has factory hands free in her Honda, and the sound quality is just as good with the Xtrons unit as it is with the Honda.

Xtrons seems to make higher quality hardware than their unbranded Chinese counterparts.

And the avin interface works fantastic. At first i had some engine noise coming through the speakers, but ground loop isolators on the RCA connections and ground wire got rid of that problem. Granted, I don't have Harmon Kardon, so I don't know if/how that would change the expirence. AVIN advertises the unit as working for any e class.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
e46 m3, w211 e55
The sound quality on my end is very good, at least for a call from a cell phone. I sound crystal clear according to the people I've talked to, and that's using the MIC built into the unit! My Fiancée has factory hands free in her Honda, and the sound quality is just as good with the Xtrons unit as it is with the Honda.

Xtrons seems to make higher quality hardware than their unbranded Chinese counterparts.

And the avin interface works fantastic. At first i had some engine noise coming through the speakers, but ground loop isolators on the RCA connections and ground wire got rid of that problem. Granted, I don't have Harmon Kardon, so I don't know if/how that would change the expirence. AVIN advertises the unit as working for any e class.

Can you post a quick video of the unit? Now that the amp issue is solved, the only other thing I want is HD Radio.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by gazosnic
Can you post a quick video of the unit? Now that the amp issue is solved, the only other thing I want is HD Radio.
Here's a whole writeup I did on the setup. Complete with video at the end.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/2628137-aftermarket-head-unit-install-while-retaining.html#/forumsite/20548/topics/2628137?page=1&postid=14336089
The following 2 users liked this post by Rossafuss:
00N8 (06-07-2016), a100steaksauce (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
Here's a whole writeup I did on the setup. Complete with video at the end.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...ostid=14336089
This unit looks real nice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: After market Android 4.4.4 Quad Core complete install. Vids and Pics and txt