E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E500 250,000 mile mark

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
2003 E500 250,000 mile mark

This forums is the only reason I was able to keep it for so long. Thanks to everyone. I plan on getting it to 300,000+. But I have a few questions that I can't find honest answers to:

(1) Fuel pump & filter - Have never changed it for the life of the car. I always use Mobil and BP gas and use Techron every 6 months. Car has always had a slight rough idle since purchased pre-owned (57,000 miles)and dealer said it was normal so didn't pay too much mind. No CEL; still great power and good mpg. Should I bother changing fuel pump/filter or should I just leave it alone? I prefer not to open up the tank and get the fuel smell in the car (never had that issue for gas smell). Car still smells somewhat new/leathery so would not like to ruin it.

(2) Airmatic - front left is original strut. Front right replaced at 100,000 miles at dealer MB warranty. Rears replaced myself w/Arnott Jan this year after rear bottomed out in cold overnight. Thanks again to the forum members for the easy DIY. Do I need to worry about the front left? All suspension bushings/balljoints are good, but for some reason lower left balljoint keeps failing after 1.5-2 years. Would the strut have any reason for this? Steering does feel a bit 'looser' on left side than right. No airmatic malfunction codes.

(3) Shocks - Rear seems to be a bit more bouncy lately. Rear shocks replaced at 80,000 per MB warranty. I don't see any oil leaking from them, but do see a small nickel size circle of rust on the shocks. Not looking like a 'leak' i think. Is there any other way to check the shocks? Rear sway bar links seem to be ok, but any way to check other than pry bar? Is it just he Arnott bags that get 'soft' after breaking in?

Also, what about the front dampers built into the front struts? how to check those? It's also a bit bouncy more recently. I remember when i bought the car, Sport mode 2 was a lot more firm and balanced.

(4) Lastly, passenger seat occupancy sensor. I've had the error on for a while and tried to resist having anyone in the passenger seat. Would like to tackle this job myself, but would hate to have this fail on me next year again - as I've read on other forums. I prefer not to deal with the Chinese computer module trick or disable via STAR... Can anyone help with providing me your experience with how long your repair has lasted?

Thanks for any help and open to any suggestions on other maintenance items I should consider.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e500
WOW! I don't have much to say as for help....but just wanted to congratulate you on the 250,000 mark! I have an '03 E500 but she is just pushing 113,000 haha. My buddy also has an '03 E500 and it is over 200,000. Hopefully ours can hold up as long as yours has.

Best of luck,
Brandon
Old 08-11-2015, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by MercFiveHundred
This forums is the only reason I was able to keep it for so long. Thanks to everyone. I plan on getting it to 300,000+. But I have a few questions that I can't find honest answers to:

(1) Fuel pump & filter - Have never changed it for the life of the car. I always use Mobil and BP gas and use Techron every 6 months. Car has always had a slight rough idle since purchased pre-owned (57,000 miles)and dealer said it was normal so didn't pay too much mind. No CEL; still great power and good mpg. Should I bother changing fuel pump/filter or should I just leave it alone? I prefer not to open up the tank and get the fuel smell in the car (never had that issue for gas smell). Car still smells somewhat new/leathery so would not like to ruin it.

(2) Airmatic - front left is original strut. Front right replaced at 100,000 miles at dealer MB warranty. Rears replaced myself w/Arnott Jan this year after rear bottomed out in cold overnight. Thanks again to the forum members for the easy DIY. Do I need to worry about the front left? All suspension bushings/balljoints are good, but for some reason lower left balljoint keeps failing after 1.5-2 years. Would the strut have any reason for this? Steering does feel a bit 'looser' on left side than right. No airmatic malfunction codes.

(3) Shocks - Rear seems to be a bit more bouncy lately. Rear shocks replaced at 80,000 per MB warranty. I don't see any oil leaking from them, but do see a small nickel size circle of rust on the shocks. Not looking like a 'leak' i think. Is there any other way to check the shocks? Rear sway bar links seem to be ok, but any way to check other than pry bar? Is it just he Arnott bags that get 'soft' after breaking in?

Also, what about the front dampers built into the front struts? how to check those? It's also a bit bouncy more recently. I remember when i bought the car, Sport mode 2 was a lot more firm and balanced.

(4) Lastly, passenger seat occupancy sensor. I've had the error on for a while and tried to resist having anyone in the passenger seat. Would like to tackle this job myself, but would hate to have this fail on me next year again - as I've read on other forums. I prefer not to deal with the Chinese computer module trick or disable via STAR... Can anyone help with providing me your experience with how long your repair has lasted?

Thanks for any help and open to any suggestions on other maintenance items I should consider.
1. There is a recall on all 211/219 gas tanks. New tank and filters come with recall.....

2. That strut that hasn't been replaced could likely be the culprit as to why that ball joint continues to fail, however you seem to drive alot so idk...

3. For the price you paid for two new rear arnott bags, a possible new l/f airmatic strut, and both rear shocks to resolve the bounciness, and possibly in the future another r/f airmatic strut, you could buy bc coils ($900) and some E350 rear lower control arms (junkyard). If you were to go that route, you would refrain from being weary about components failing, if and when.... Just my two cents. I'm waiting any day now for my airmatic to take a dukie on me..... If and when it does, i'll be installing some coils that way I never again have to worry about wtf is going on with my suspension haha

4. If you have patience you can do your occupant sensor yourself. WIS would be your best friend for that.

Model 211, Model Years 2003- 2009 and
Model 219, Model Years 2006- 2011
Fuel Odor In the Area of the Fuel Tank

gasoline-fueled, non-PZEV certified Model Year 2003 – 2009 E-Class
Model Year 2006 – 2011 CLS-Class
Which Parts are Covered: The warranty covers the fuel tank, fuel filter/sender, fuel pump, and gaskets (collectively the “Covered Fuel Tank Components”)
Old 08-11-2015, 01:35 PM

1987 Porsche 928 S4, 2009 Mercedes E350, 2011 Mercedes GL450, 2003 Mercedes ML350
What were your transmission fluid change intervals?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:57 PM

2014 E550; 2003 E500
Thanks bflaig79! Wish you and your friend best of luck with your e500's.

cmriv - Thanks for the feedback. I always thought about converting to standard springs, but really can't beat the adjustable airmatic ride. For another 50,000 miles, i think i should be able to make it. Can't beat that Arnott warranty either.

Will look further into the recall....

As for the seat mat/sensor, I'm sure i may be able to handle the DIY, but I'm looking to get feedback on replacement part longevity. When i did a Google search, i've read two cases where the replacement mat/sensor failed after a year and the subsequent replacement sensor/mat failed again in the same time span. Rather not spend that kind of money and try to bypass the mat/sensor somehow. But those posts were European member posts. So looking to get a US feedback.

Uranium238 - 110k, and then every 40k after that. I had a major issue with the transmission shuttering at 110k and after 4 mechanics messing with it (Valvebody and TCU replaced), all that was needed was a proper full FLUSH. Torque converter locking up - probably need a new one because i may have driven too long with the issue, but it's ok for now. Yes - shame on me for believing the sealed for life bs; although others may have no issues...
Old 08-13-2015, 03:47 PM

1987 Porsche 928 S4, 2009 Mercedes E350, 2011 Mercedes GL450, 2003 Mercedes ML350
You sir are my idol. I hope my new to me 2009 is up to the task as your car is.