E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

mbrace

Old 08-15-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 C320
Question mbrace

As a new owner of an 08 E350 I've been contacted by mbrace to activate my account. They've told me that my software needs to be updated on my car and that there may be a charge for the upgrade. My question to the group is should I have this done? After the system is activated the fees are $280 per year for the service. We really don't travel that much in the vehicle and I have roadside assistance with my insurance company. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The sad thing is that portable GPS technology has moved so fast that I get a better navigation aid from the application on my phone "Waze" than I ever could from an automotive application that I would always be forced to have someone update. Plus I get a much better deal with my AAA+----thank you competition!! The downside is that I don't get towed by "Jeeves"
Old 08-17-2015, 09:36 PM

2003 C320
mbrace

That's a valid point. I was just curious how many used it. It's hard to justify the expense. I feel better already. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Originally Posted by srb1194
That's a valid point. I was just curious how many used it. It's hard to justify the expense. I feel better already. Thanks!
mbrace was useless for me. Setting it up was time consuming and many features it now turns out were incompatible with my iPhone 6. The dealer was unable to assist much, and mbrace was not helpful either. Web service was a joke from the Comand system. Cancelled all of it, it is a joke.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:24 PM

2003 C320
mbrace

Now I really feel better! I really thought it was not a prudent decision. I was also probably going to have to pay the dealer to update my software. I've got roadside assistance through my insurance company anyway. I'm gonna trash that piece of mail and move on. As a side note my wife isn't smart phone friendly and I thought it might be beneficial. I hate to say it but with that in mind she'll probably not get much use out of the command system anyway. We'll just keep it simple.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
MBRACE is a joke. Especially when you have a smart phone.
Save your peanuts and use that 280 for something that's needed.
My two cents!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 PM

2003 C320
mbrace

Agreed!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I have a 2014 E class and used M brace during the trial period. It was good and one feature I liked was the send to Benz, but as you said how often you need to travel that far? For me it would be useful only a few times a year and I cannot justify the $280 fees. I believe that with newer cars offering more and more technological freebies (such as tesla offering free system /map upgrades wirelessly- MB please take some notes) it's only a matter of time when software upgrades and navigation will be free of cost for all cars.
I don't think you are missing out on anything by not renewing M'brace. Take your wife out to dinner with that money .
Old 08-19-2015, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
I can't remember what I paid when it was first introduced with lifetime membership but I took it and the upgrade was painless at the dealership. I too have AAA however never had a need or opportunity to use either service (on my car) till recently when I was driving coast to coast 3000 miles non-stop (story in another thread). Transmission oil leaked onto exhaust at around the 2400 mile mark in my journey (yes I was pushing the car hard), a minor leak (due to improper transmission pan gasket install at CHMB during first ever transmission oil flush per mileage). One press of the Mbrace button and Mbrace immediately responded and the extremely polite operator was amazing; though they knew my whereabouts I confirmed precise location and crossroad. I explained the problem; the nearest MB location was some 35 miles in my direction of travel. Mbrace took care of the rest. The pickup truck arrived within 25 minutes, Mbrace called MB at Spokane, explained the situation etc. When I arrived at Spokane, I was given immediate attention, treated like a VIP and the car looked into by their best mechanic. I have nothing to complain about Mbrace or the service they provide; perhaps I'm just lucky but surely there must be other happy folk around.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 PM

2003 C320
Originally Posted by pinebaron
I can't remember what I paid when it was first introduced with lifetime membership but I took it and the upgrade was painless at the dealership. I too have AAA however never had a need or opportunity to use either service (on my car) till recently when I was driving coast to coast 3000 miles non-stop (story in another thread). Transmission oil leaked onto exhaust at around the 2400 mile mark in my journey (yes I was pushing the car hard), a minor leak (due to improper transmission pan gasket install at CHMB during first ever transmission oil flush per mileage). One press of the Mbrace button and Mbrace immediately responded and the extremely polite operator was amazing; though they knew my whereabouts I confirmed precise location and crossroad. I explained the problem; the nearest MB location was some 35 miles in my direction of travel. Mbrace took care of the rest. The pickup truck arrived within 25 minutes, Mbrace called MB at Spokane, explained the situation etc. When I arrived at Spokane, I was given immediate attention, treated like a VIP and the car looked into by their best mechanic. I have nothing to complain about Mbrace or the service they provide; perhaps I'm just lucky but surely there must be other happy folk around.
That's a great story and if I traveled such as you I would perhaps consider it. Since most of my travels will be in a 150 mile radius I think I'm going to pass. It's great to know they took care of you.