E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Remote will not work to unlock/lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 BlueTEC; 2006 E320 CDI
Remote will not work to unlock/lock

I have a 2006 320 CDI with 235,000 miles..... It runs like a train... I have a Van Akin tuner and i'm getting almost 50mpg on the hwy.. Thats the good news.
About a month ago the key fob/remote stopped operating the locks and trunk. I replaced the batteries and the problem still exists. I brought it to my local MB dealer (who has been very reasonable with me and even found me used parts before). The dealer says that I need a RF attenna amplifier. It's in Germany and retails for $695 for the part. I am doubting that is is the problem, because I think my remote should operate if within inches of the door, but it does not.
Does anyone have an idea if he is correct? and if so, does anyone have a used unit that they might part with.
My second problem is that the sunroof is not operating properly. The frame is become unsealed and the dealer repaired it last year, but now it needs to be replaced, glass, frame and seal,,$1,600 for that job.. Is this a "dealer only item" or do I have other options?
Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
For your alarm are you sure you alarm siren isn't faulty? I've seen on countless occasions customers stating car wont lock or unlock, sure enough the alarm siren is faulty. I'm just asking because I can't say I have heard of a antenna preventing the car lock or unlock but it is possible.

What exactly does or doesn't your sunroof do?
Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Remote

Originally Posted by cmriv
For your alarm are you sure you alarm siren isn't faulty? I've seen on countless occasions customers stating car wont lock or unlock, sure enough the alarm siren is faulty. I'm just asking because I can't say I have heard of a antenna preventing the car lock or unlock but it is possible.

What exactly does or doesn't your sunroof do?
Thank you, I'll have the alarm checked, I'm not sure about that.. For what it's worth, the diagnostic code is 23578...
As for the sun roof, it started leaking on the passenger front corner. I brought it in and the dealer "resealed" the frame. Now, when I try to open the sunroof, it will not go back, but it will "vent up ", then when I try to shut it, it slams down, below the normal closed position and then pops up above it.. It makes a horrible wind noise going down the road. I can manually manipulate it to an almost correct position by pushing it down.
Sometimes it will open/close, but only when the car is stationary.. It think the roof changes it's position when the car is in motion(either by the draft or wind force).
The dealer says the seal is too tight and it has allowed the frame to unseat and it is unrepairible.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by klboehmer
Thank you, I'll have the alarm checked, I'm not sure about that.. For what it's worth, the diagnostic code is 23578...
As for the sun roof, it started leaking on the passenger front corner. I brought it in and the dealer "resealed" the frame. Now, when I try to open the sunroof, it will not go back, but it will "vent up ", then when I try to shut it, it slams down, below the normal closed position and then pops up above it.. It makes a horrible wind noise going down the road. I can manually manipulate it to an almost correct position by pushing it down.
Sometimes it will open/close, but only when the car is stationary.. It think the roof changes it's position when the car is in motion(either by the draft or wind force).
The dealer says the seal is too tight and it has allowed the frame to unseat and it is unrepairible.
Never re-sealed a sunroof, however i have de-clogged the drains going from the sunroof to the drip drains. Usually when sunroofs leaks its because of clogged drains, which get cleaned if you take your car to a stealership and get it serviced. not many do that on here. Is there anything else to that fault code? Like a letter or something before it? just numbers is too vague....
Old 09-12-2015, 01:25 PM

Sunroof/ remote issues

Originally Posted by cmriv
Never re-sealed a sunroof, however i have de-clogged the drains going from the sunroof to the drip drains. Usually when sunroofs leaks its because of clogged drains, which get cleaned if you take your car to a stealership and get it serviced. not many do that on here. Is there anything else to that fault code? Like a letter or something before it? just numbers is too vague....
This is what is on my work order from the dealer:
Owner states both remotes stopped locking and unlocking at the same time and the Sunroof stopped closing properly////

Diag diagnosed key remote/ central locking malfunction and sunroof

315 C1W. hrs.

23578 DIAG AND NEEDS FM ANTENNA AMPLIFIER FOR LOCKS AND SUNROOF SEAL AND GLASS 1.5 VERIFIED DOOR LOCKS INOP WITH REMOTE. TEST WITH IR AND WORKS FINE USING IR SYSTEM. TEST REMOTE WITH TESTER AND KEY IS FINE. SDS CHECK FOR FAULT CODES. LOW VOLTAGE FAULTS IN SEVERAL MODULES. CHECKED FOR SIGNAL REAR SAM AND ACTUAL VALUES SHOWING NO SIGNAL. ACCESSED FM ANTENNA AMPLIFIER WHICH ALSO DOES THE KEY SIGNAL. WIRING OK AND TERMINALS ARE FINE. WILL NEED AMPLIFIER ( Germany). $695***
CHECKED ROOF OPERATION AND VERIFIED JAMMED UP. PERFORM NORMALIZATION WITH SDS AND FOUND SEAL ON ROOF OPENING IS TOO TIGHT AND WILL NEED TO BE REPLACING. ALSO THIS CAUSED THE FRAME ON THE GLASS ITSELF TO COME LOSE AND CAN NOT BE REPAIRED. WILL
NEED ROOF GLASS AND OPENING SEAL. SEE EST. $1600. NOT IN STOCK MUST BE ORDERED.

Between the "*'s' is exactly what is on my repair order..

Last edited by klboehmer; 09-12-2015 at 01:29 PM.