MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
glad to help!!!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Anyone know how to get those clear plastic c clips on the bottom of pre-facelift seats in order to take out the bottom cushion? The rear springs are out but it's still pivoting on the c clips. They don't come off even after you take off those black caps. It's like it's glued to the metal bottom. I tried sliding a flat knife under but it feels like it's gonna break.

THIS IS FOR PREFACELIFT by the way because the facelift seats are different, better, all they have is 2 hex bolts and their c clips come off.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
UPDATE:

You know when you look at something you can't figure out and say, "What's wrong with me" "Am I really that stupid".........and then you figure out it's actually the idiot who designed it that's stupid because it's a dumb design that makes no sense.

Those plastic C clips "pop" into their respective holes, they are NOT held by those black nuts that just pop out. You need to pry them need the center and from all different directions but just know this, THEY ARE FRAGILE!! I broke the edge of one of the them, not enough to render it useless but still.

The updated/facelift seats don't have these, they have a simple bolt and c clip design, something obviously outrageous to whoever designed the prefacelift ones. Some people just love to complicate insignificant things. IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T BLOODY FIX IT!! Mercedes just don't seem to get this, they waste so much time coming up with wacky designs for the smallest things for no apparent reason. It doesn't save weight, building costs and make it easier to work on and some moron had to sit down and waste his/her time designing the thing.

Anyway, I hope that helps anyone wanting to do this as well out. I'll post pics of the clips to elaborate on what I said because anyone who hasn't seen them before could easily destroy them if not careful. I guess that's the reason they did it, so it would break and you need to buy new ones, probably for $100 a piece. Smart/evil b@$t@rd$!!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
How do you detach the rods that hold the leather in place? I see a hook but I'm not sure how to manipulate it...
Old 10-05-2015, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
BUMP!

Anyone know how to release those rods that hold the leather cushion in place? Again, there's a hook at the end but still not sure how to do it.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
You have to unclip the rod from the hook.....
Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by cmriv
You have to unclip the rod from the hook.....
You mean from the red clips?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Unclipping the rods from the red clips isn't easy - but it's a lot easier than clipping them back...

You have to move the rods down and in toward the center of the seat to get them out. I made a tool by grinding a round recess in the end of a flat screwdriver tip. Try to eliminate all sharp edges , so as to avoid cutting the leather. It helps a lot to hold the other side of the red clip so it doesn't just bury into the padding. They apparently aren't replaceable, so try really hard to avoid breaking the red clips.

On the 2003 W220 seats, the rods sit down in slits in the foam apdding. It is very difficult to get them clipped back into place. If you are installing used leather, there will be small torn spots in the fabric tube where the rods fit into the clips. The leather must be positioned so the small torn spots fit the clips!

The rods must be pressed into the clips down, from the center of the seat then outward, so as to slip the rod into the curved hook on the end of the clip. The notched screwdriver made a huge difference in being able to do this, as did holding the red clip from the back.

Not a fun job...
Old 09-05-2020, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 mercedes e320 cdi
Very doable

Originally Posted by Tschuss_Bill
I did this a while back. I replaced the drivers seat cushion and cover. I suggest that you take your time. I don't think that I worked with a DIY on this one. A few things to keep in mind:
  • Take your time. (I did break some plastic bits on dissassembly. easliy replaced after reinstall)
  • Take pictures on disassembly, you'll never know what you'll need on reassembly.
  • There are rivets that need to be drilled out. These connect the front storage compartment to the seat. (you'll need to go to home depot and buy a rivet tool and rivets)
  • There is a system of clips and rods that keep the cover flat to the cushion. If I recall correctly you can remove the rods without dealing with the clips. On reinstall you'll need to carefully clip the clips to the respective rod. The rods slide into sleeves on the underside of the cover. The red clips are embedded in the cushion. It is a 'press fit'. You want to be very careful not to break any of the red clips.
  • I was not WIS saavy when I did this job. That might be advisable as a reference, but WIS docs can be painfully brief
This was a worthwhile DIY, no more unsightly cracks in the cover and the cushion feels new. I did not work with the backrest at all, only the bottom.

Good luck
I just want to add that anyone reading this thread in the future: This job is not terrible, I was able to do it myself without instruction by just looking at what needs to come off next. There is a company that reproduces these seats that you can find on eBay. I Think its autonation. I was able to replace the lower seat covers on both the front 2 seat bottoms and the rear large seat bottom. All in leather or the stuff MB uses, you can choose.