E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

05 E320 4Matic Wagon: STOP Car too low

Old 09-26-2015, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 Wagon
05 E320 4Matic Wagon: STOP Car too low

I have searched all through this site with every combination I could think of and could not find anything specifically about this problem in the wagon. I think the suspension is different in the wagon than the sedan, and it's independent from the front. In my wagon, when it sits for 24 hours or so, the rear end of it falls down. When you turn it on, sometimes it says STOP Car too low. This goes away as the air compressor works and lifts the car to normal (I think) height and the light turns off.

I have taken it to Mercedes and paid the $150 to diagnose it. They are nice at my local dealership and they let me walk back and talk to the tech. It is new to me, belonged to my aunt, and I was able to ask him all kinds of questions about everything I could think of. I stole an hour and a half of his time in which he told me where everything was, put it up in the air and we went over everything we could see underneath. He was impressed with the condition of what he saw. Anyway, he diagnosed the problem as the rear springs in baffles that have air bladders inside of them losing air as they sit. Should I replace them with http://www.carid.com/2005-mercedes-e...-39487761.html these?

I think I'll order them soon and install them with my former employer/ friend who has a beautiful shop, and I'll post pictures.
So I have a few questions; is the suspension different between sedans and wagons? The write-up around the w211 forum is done on a sedan, can I use that as my guidance as I do the replacement? What should I be especially aware of? Obviously, I'm not going through a trunk and I have the 3rd row rear facing seat, so are things in a different place?

Does it make sense to reason that the compressor is still functioning because the car does come back up? My friend I mentioned is a genius with classic cars and does custom Jeeps and Trucks, and has done a considerable amount of work on Mercedes too, but I want to bring a lot of knowledge to this project as I will be doing it with him.

Thanks for your replies,
Sarah
Old 09-26-2015, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
I have 2 Arnotts on the front of my 2005 E500. They have been on for 4 years and no problems. I think you have the right idea in purchasing the Arnott air springs.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
The Arnott air spring solution is easier to install than the factory version. Look at the new instructions which don't require removal of the bladder system.

Arnott web site: https://www.arnottindustries.com/sea...el=58&year=181

Partsgeek has them for your wagon: http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=a2726&x=0&y=0

They seem to be differently-priced depending upon warehouse. No reason not to order the lower-priced one from Warehouse B. I usually call them and speak to a guy. Sometimes they offer a discount if you order right there over the phone. It also makes sure you are ordering the right part. They are very nice and ship quickly.

You don't need the compressor if the thing is inflating. If you do need one, Arnott is a great place to get basically the OEM compressor, but you don't need it now.

Last edited by wjcandee; 09-27-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 Wagon
Great, thanks, guys! I had forgotten about parts geek, but their prices are better. I really appreciate the info!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes E 320 CDI Avangarde est 2004 2000
I have a similar problem in that my drivers side rear tends to go down when not in use. The car has been checked by MB who can find no leaks on the system they suggest it is probably a valve that is letting by ie not seating and sealing the system when the pump has stopped. Any thoughts on this?