E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4matic
Electrical issues

Hello Everyone, My 06 E350 4matic is giving me some electrical trouble.
A week ago a got the red battery warning message along with ABS, EPS errors and Steering gets stiffer.
After turning off the car and restarting it was fine but it said that convenince features were turned off. After a while they came back.
It happened a couple more times during the week but not always. This weekend it got worse cause the messages come on right away. I used the voltage display and it reads 11.4 with the car on or off. The last time I drove it is showed a message that said stop the vehicle Battery/Alternator. Also a check engine light came on 10 minutes before the stop vehicle message.
After reading here that it might be the Aux bat I put in a new one but the messages all came back within 2 minutes. I used a meter on the main bat and it reads 11.4v after sitting for 24hrs. I started the car and it went down to 10.8 and back up to 11.14v but it never reaches even 12v.
Is this a bad main bat? Could it be either the regulator or alternator? I don't want to waste money on a new main bat if I need a reg or alt. I might be the original battery. Car has 75,000 and its coming on 10years old.

Thank you
Old 09-28-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W211 320CDI -04, W210 270CDI -01
Alternator/voltage regulator. Should be around 14V when charging... there are some other possible issues about battery control module (or if main battery is duff and cannot take more current etc) but alternator/regulator is far more common so I would go there first (of course if you could borrow a good battery somewhere it would be easy to test). If you go for alternator, be sure you'll get right type of reg pack.

Before buying anything, Check that all wires of alternator are good (trigger wire, ground strap of engine block etc).

And charge your main battery first, now you may have drained it and it cause all kind of troubles.