E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Where is O2 sensor Bank 2 Sensor 3 on the M272?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211, W201
Where is O2 sensor Bank 2 Sensor 3 on the M272?

Dear pals, I'm having the Error code P0064 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 3), I'm trying to find it, but really can't find it... I thought it is under the car, around back seats? thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Without a specific VIN you have a R & L sensor before and after the Cat--put the car on a lift, put your finger to the wind and look up---wada you see besides pipes!!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:18 PM

w211, W201
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Without a specific VIN you have a R & L sensor before and after the Cat--put the car on a lift, put your finger to the wind and look up---wada you see besides pipes!!
I need to put all my VIN code?

look I think it is the piece mark as 450. But how i can acces it? only way it is from under?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Look your making more out of this than the part is worth in time spent playing around looking for the part---Like I indicated hours ago---put the car on a lift look up!!

Now if you want to crawl under the car on a driveway or lawn fine,but you will be back whining that you can't see the part or how do I get a tool up there to remove the sensor or I am afraid the car will fall on me or what will my neighbors say about the body under a car!!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:49 AM

w211, W201
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Look your making more out of this than the part is worth in time spent playing around looking for the part---Like I indicated hours ago---put the car on a lift look up!!

Now if you want to crawl under the car on a driveway or lawn fine,but you will be back whining that you can't see the part or how do I get a tool up there to remove the sensor or I am afraid the car will fall on me or what will my neighbors say about the body under a car!!
Thanks! but If I have a lift, perhaps I will visual inspect... jajaja And yes, I read here usually these sensor are very difficult to replace, not so much space...

At last, Im street mechanic's! Neighbours already know i will die one day by my car while i was under it!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C280 4Matic
I'm getting the P0064 code for the bank 2 sensor 3 oxygen sensor.
Can someone tell me if this is the up or downstream sensor on the driver's side?
Old 11-17-2020, 03:55 AM

c280 2007
Exclamation Hi men

Originally Posted by jammgm
I'm getting the P0064 code for the bank 2 sensor 3 oxygen sensor.
Can someone tell me if this is the up or downstream sensor on the driver's side?
Did you can find the right sensor?, because I have the same code P0064, and I'm looking for the right sensor too.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:33 AM

2007 C280 4Matic
Originally Posted by cahido123
Did you can find the right sensor?, because I have the same code P0064, and I'm looking for the right sensor too.
Bank 2 is on the driver's side and if I recall correctly, sensor 3 is the downstream one after the CAT.
The only difference between the up and downstream sensors is the length of the wire.. One is short and one is long based on where they plug into the car.
The code could be the sensor itself or a dirty connection where the sensor plugs into the car due to age.

When I replaced mine, it didn't fix the problem. I was getting this code along with a fuel injector code and one of the cam adjust solenoids all on the same side of the engine.. Bank 2.
The solenoild had a crack on the plastic tube where the wire plugs in so I started with replacing that.
The strange thing was was once I replaced the cam adjust solenoid, the other 2 codes went away so it ended up the sensor wasn't bad after all.
I also had the intake manifold repaired to correct the POS plastic broken pivot arm that controls the runner flaps and starting getting codes for the some of the cylinder coil packs after the repair.
Being the car is a 2007, I figured I had bad connections because the connectors were disturbed due to the repair so I cleaned all the connections and lubed with dielectric grease and all the codes disappeared.
You could probably start with checking and cleaning the connector on it, clear the code, and see if it comes back. If it does, then replace it.

Last edited by jammgm; 11-18-2020 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cahido123 (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Bank 2 is on the driver's side and if I recall correctly, sensor 3 is the downstream one after the CAT.
The only difference between the up and downstream sensors is the length of the wire.. One is short and one is long based on where they plug into the car.
The code could be the sensor itself or a dirty connection where the sensor plugs into the car due to age.

When I replaced mine, it didn't fix the problem. I was getting this code along with a fuel injector code and one of the cam adjust solenoids all on the same side of the engine.. Bank 2.
The solenoild had a crack on the plastic tube where the wire plugs in so I started with replacing that.
The strange thing was was once I replaced the cam adjust solenoid, the other 2 codes went away so it ended up the sensor wasn't bad after all.
I also had the intake manifold repaired to correct the POS plastic broken pivot arm that controls the runner flaps and starting getting codes for the some of the cylinder coil packs after the repair.
Being the car is a 2007, I figured I had bad connections because the connectors were disturbed due to the repair so I cleaned all the connections and lubed with dielectric grease and all the codes disappeared.
You could probably start with checking and cleaning the connector on it, clear the code, and see if it comes back. If it does, then replace it.
The downstream sensors rarely go bad. Usually just a damaged wire or connector. They're there basically to tell your cats are shot, they don't really wear out because normally they're just exposed to a clean exhaust.

If you repaired the intake manifold levers, you should also change out the oil breather cover and separator. There's a kit on FCPeuro. Basically when those are bad, it allows oil to enter the intake instead of just the vapors which gums up the flaps and eventually the flaps break off and damage the engine. Which is why MB normally just replaces the intake instead of repairing it. Those levers are designed to break when those flaps get gummed up which is a sign the intake should be replaced. I just replaced my intake with a new one, around $600+ although you can get a reman on eBay for about $350. That only had a one year warranty though and the new one was lifetime.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...kit-oem-515810
Old 11-19-2020, 11:33 AM

2007 C280 4Matic
I'll check into that breather cover and seperator kit.. thanks.
When we pulled the manifold off, the runner flaps were nice and clean and not broken I attributed it to the car having low mileage.. ~75k.
I chose to repair the manifold versus replacing it because the new ones I found came with the same POC plastic pivot arm so why put the same problem back on for $600 plus the labor only to break again.
I have a friend who's a full time mechanic and does work on the side and did the repair which cost me $500, parts and labor.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll check into that breather cover and seperator kit.. thanks.
When we pulled the manifold off, the runner flaps were nice and clean and not broken I attributed it to the car having low mileage.. ~75k.
I chose to repair the manifold versus replacing it because the new ones I found came with the same POC plastic pivot arm so why put the same problem back on for $600 plus the labor only to break again.
I have a friend who's a full time mechanic and does work on the side and did the repair which cost me $500, parts and labor.
That's interesting. Must really be the breather and separator. Lots of people report replacing the manifold in the 80-140k range. I believe the breather/separator is supposed to keep the oil out of the intake and just allow oil vapors but if they go bad, then it's the oil that gums up the flaps. I just figured if you replace it, you won't have to worry about it for another 80-140k. I also read in one spot that it had been redesigned. Not sure if the redesign fixes the problem though. My pivot arms/rods weren't broken, but you couldn't really move it easily and when you did, it didn't move back on its own.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:15 PM

2007 C280 4Matic
I repaired the manifold around 2 years ago and couldn't find a new OEM one with the metal pivot arm at that time so I went with the repair kit.
I never knew this about the breather and separator causing the runner flaps to fail over time but will definitely replace them.
Thanks for the information,

Last edited by jammgm; 11-19-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I repaired the manifold around 2 years ago and couldn't find a new OEM one with the metal pivot arm at that time so I went with the repair kit.
I never knew this about the breather and separator causing the runner flaps to fail over time but will definitely replace them.
Thanks for the information,
It's a Pierburg intake and FCPeuro sells it new, around $630+ now. They were OEM to Mercedes. You can also get a rebuilt one eBay, around $350, but only a one year warranty vs lifetime at FCP. Look for RMT or Rebuild Master Tech.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-intake-manifold-replacement-kit-pierburg-516475

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-E350-2006-2011-M272-V6-Engine-Modified-Intake-Manifold-Gasket-Set/192758184793