E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Streaming audio through factory bluetooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
Streaming audio through factory bluetooth

The other day I had an app open and received a call. Noticed that during the call, sound coming from the app came out through the car speakers as well. So I figured if we could convert media audio into phone audio, we could actually have real bluetooth streaming.

There are apparently several apps on the Google Play Store, not sure about Apple app store, that will convert your audio from what I'm guessing is stereo to mono which is what our old bluetooths can read. The one I'm using right now is called "Mono Bluetooth Router" from the Play Store. Once you open the app and turn it on, your screen will say "call connected" and any sound coming from your phone will now come out of your car speakers.

The Good: You can actually stream audio wirelessly! There is no 1 second delay that a lot of bluetooth systems experience so your video and sound are actually still in sync.

The Bad: You get potato quality sound because you're hearing the sound in mono and not stereo.

I'm having trouble with streaming music because after every song I would get a message on my phone saying "cannot play music during call" and the next song won't load. Still trying to figure that one out. Other than that, phone apps, games, youtube videos, navigation and such will work. The sound is acceptable for what it is. Definitely would just stick with an aux cable if it's for music.

Try it out and tell me what you guys think.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 PM

14 550 sedan
Forgot to mention that you can still receive phone calls even though the head unit says "call connected". You might have to go back into the app afterwards to turn it off then back on again in order for bluetooth streaming to work again though.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
E-55,IS-250
nice find
Old 10-16-2015, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350(current);1995 C220(sold); 1990 190e 2.38v(written off)
How did you get your bluetooth to sync with your phone, I assume you have an android phone?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:05 AM

14 550 sedan
Yes I have an android but shouldn't the factory bluetooth phone call work on iPhones too?
Old 10-16-2015, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350(current);1995 C220(sold); 1990 190e 2.38v(written off)
Hi,

I have a android phone too, but the command head unit does not sync with my phone.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:58 PM

14 550 sedan
Originally Posted by Awvince
Hi,

I have a android phone too, but the command head unit does not sync with my phone.
Well does your car come pre-installed with bluetooth..?
Old 10-17-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
if you guys have an iphone 4 plug pin connector in the glove department, you buy a bluetooh device I purchased from amazon cool "cool stream" it connected to your Bluetooth phone and is played through aux, works perfect with perfect quality audio and youtbube videos
Old 11-03-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by charliele729
if you guys have an iphone 4 plug pin connector in the glove department, you buy a bluetooh device I purchased from amazon cool "cool stream" it connected to your Bluetooth phone and is played through aux, works perfect with perfect quality audio and youtbube videos
what car is this in?? Your 09 e class??
Old 11-04-2015, 01:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 AMG
if you try and stream music through Bluetooth via the "phone call" protocol the music will sound horrible. best way to describe it is when you tune a radio station but your a few Mhz away from the proper station.

telephone calls only require and go through old Bluetooth 1 protocol. while music streaming require 2.0+ protocol because to stream good quality music, you need more bandwidth, bandwidth that the old 1.0 protocol does not have. also no stereo sound with the old protocol.

Best way is to get a USB Bluetooth to AUX adapter and syn that to your mobile device as music only. then select AUX on the COMAND unit and wola. Bluetooth streaming

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HandFree-...UAAOxyRhBS-dqo
Old 11-04-2015, 02:46 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Xpresion
if you try and stream music through Bluetooth via the "phone call" protocol the music will sound horrible. best way to describe it is when you tune a radio station but your a few Mhz away from the proper station.

telephone calls only require and go through old Bluetooth 1 protocol. while music streaming require 2.0+ protocol because to stream good quality music, you need more bandwidth, bandwidth that the old 1.0 protocol does not have. also no stereo sound with the old protocol.

Best way is to get a USB Bluetooth to AUX adapter and syn that to your mobile device as music only. then select AUX on the COMAND unit and wola. Bluetooth streaming

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HandFree-...UAAOxyRhBS-dqo
Im talking about streaming through the iPod interface in the glove box with an adapter. Not through the Bluetooth protocol from MB.

Thank you though for the thorough reply!!