E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E320 rough and vibrating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211 E320
2003 E320 rough and vibrating

I bought a 2003 E320 in unknown condition, no service records. It is RWD not 4 Matic. When I first got into drive the car it would shudder and it didn't want to move. Checked transmission fluid and there barely was any. The harness plug was also leaking. So I added Valvoline Max Life fluid and got a new plug and replaced that so no more leaking. I did a quick search and people said the Valvoline was acceptable but with more reading other people are saying it's not good?

Problem: Car still shakes and shudders under acceleration or at high RPMs. First I was thinking it was a transmission problem but the car accelerates from 0-high speeds just fine and it shifts fine too. It just shakes violently at high rpms ESPECIALLY if I'm at high RPMs and I let off the gas. So I was thinking it might be mounts? I have attached a picture of the transmission control box no oil in there.

I've attached a video of me holding the brakes and pressing the gas. Is this much movement indicative of bad engine mounts? Do you guys think that is the problem?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Jouist the engine side to side by grabbing the oil filter housing. If the whole car shakes mounts are bad, if the engine wiggles on the mounts and the car movement is minimal then your mounts are fine. If bad i would replace trans mount as well.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I would do a full pan drain/clean and get proper fluid in the transmission. Look for Shell 134ATF many shell distributors carry it for the sprinters and it is approved for both the 5 speed in your car as well as the 722.9 7 speed.
How many miles are on the car and how well taken care of does the car seem?
Old 11-17-2015, 04:51 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
I would recommend that you get the car checked out by either a Mercedes dealer or an independent mech (you may find some service records if the vehicle was previously serviced at a Mercedes dealer). This would give you a list of things to consider repairing and you can prioritize according to your skill set and budget. The AC issue in your other post and the rough idle maybe the tip of the iceberg...
Old 11-17-2015, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
I think you bought an beaten up benz.
For my understanding things to check:

-Motor mount's
-Transmission mount's
-engine check, zyl pressure

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
pretty much with all W211. First things to do.
change Engine mount and Tranny mount.
Crank Positioning sensor... on e320 and e500
This will make a HUGE difference in the way the car feels.

then SBC battery
Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 PM

2003 E500
Diesel knockin' E500

Hi. I've developed a similar issue. There's a knocking/loud ticking similar to that of a bad idler pulley emanating from the passenger side of the engine compartment. It's intermittent maybe 30-40% of the time at idle and picks up pace with acceleration. Otherwise the car runs well and there are no fault codes.

Mechanic #1 said it may be a mis-fire that's sounding off in the cat, but again, no code.

Mechanic #2 wants to pull the valve covers, says it's likely a bad lifter or maybe a piston rod sleeve bushing.

I read on here it can also be a rocker, but most likely the engine mounts, which mech #2 discounts.

The link to the engine mount thread is no longer live that I can see.

Are the issues, knocks, ticks and noise resulting from a bad mount that significant and widespread?

The fuel tank, sender, filter and pump were recently replaced. Could this be a cause?

I'll appreciate any and all recommendations.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 W211 E320
My issue was resolved, thanks for all the help. It ended up being mounts, I changed both engine and transmission and the car is very smooth now.

The low transmission fluid was definitely an issue initially but changing the plug and adding fluid seems to have fixed it. It shifts great and runs really well with lots of power. I will still be putting in shell fluid and changing the filter shortly.

Reason we thought it was mounts more than transmission was that the car shifted well and had power, it was just shaking. I also grabbed the engine and shook it by the oil filter housing and it shook the whole car rather than just the engine. So the poster above might try doing that and also brake hard and press the gas and see how much the engine lifts.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
great to know you got it fixed and it was just the mounts....

now go give that engine a good clean!
Old 11-28-2015, 01:17 AM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by Voland
Hi. I've developed a similar issue. There's a knocking/loud ticking similar to that of a bad idler pulley emanating from the passenger side of the engine compartment. It's intermittent maybe 30-40% of the time at idle and picks up pace with acceleration. Otherwise the car runs well and there are no fault codes.

Mechanic #1 said it may be a mis-fire that's sounding off in the cat, but again, no code.

Mechanic #2 wants to pull the valve covers, says it's likely a bad lifter or maybe a piston rod sleeve bushing.

I read on here it can also be a rocker, but most likely the engine mounts, which mech #2 discounts.

The link to the engine mount thread is no longer live that I can see.

Are the issues, knocks, ticks and noise resulting from a bad mount that significant and widespread?

The fuel tank, sender, filter and pump were recently replaced. Could this be a cause?

I'll appreciate any and all recommendations.
It's fixed. Alternator. Now I'll really appreciate engine and trans mounts.