E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help me decide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
Help me decide

Hey all I haven't been on the forums for a while, since I sold my 2001 e430. I loved my old benz and except for some minor dash issue never had an issue with it.
So fast forward to now, bought my wife a new Acura RDX and I inherited her old 2006 Honda Pilot EXL with 115k on it. I have been looking around for a Benz that I can get in the same price range, with 4matic. I found 2 a 2004 S430w4 with 71k on it, It has new Airmatic shocks in the front and good service records. The second is a 2005 e500w4 with 51k on it. It has a decent service history, had an accident in its past, early on. I like the e500 but today when I went out to take a detailed look at it, it had a almost dead battery and the rear end was down. I started the car and the back end popped up and functioned in all modes, with no service light. The dealer said that the battery has been dying out and the car has to be jumped. I have done a good bit of searching and this sounds like the airmatic relay is going....or could the battery be the source? I can't check the relay because the hood latch is broke. I know I should probably run away from the car but it runs and drive great other than the two issues and the miles are low. Dealer is a fairly good acquaintance and is willing to trade me for the pilot and 1,000.00
Old 11-30-2015, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Going airmatic relay would not drop the suspension overnight.
The system is too complex to troubleshoot it without SD or lot of time combined with lot of soapy water.
But when compressor can be rebuild and serviced for about $50 - there is not much you can do to go around cost of new airbags.
Just calculate those into purchase price and you will be ok on this part.
W211 takes lot of power for all the gadgets when you start it, so it common when showing the car the battery gets low on few minutes of idling.
Good luck on your shopping.