E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 rear door ashtray repair

Old 02-01-2016, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
2005 rear door ashtray repair

I just got this fine piece of machinery last week. As it came to me used, it is of course not in perfect repair. Fixes will be made as money and time allows, but right now I've time. The left rear door ashtray had a broken hinge pin keeper when I bought the car, and it looked ghetto. No likey. So I fixed it, and here's how.

2005 Mercedes E320 CDI rear door ashtray removal/repair

Method A:
1) Remove ashtray assembly from door by pulling 2 clips down at top of ashtray and prying assembly out of door. I took the ashtray assembly out of the door before I had the bright idea of writing up a how-to, but you can clearly see the two tabs I'm talking about at the top of the door insert. A pick will pull them down, a clean putty knife will pry it out.

2) Remove front panel from ash tray assembly by first removing two clamp washers from the panel pins

- a set of these is helpful to get behind the washers and push them off without wrecking them.

3) The reason for the repair is now visible and accessible.

4) Release the tipout tray by pulling back the retention tab and tipping it 180 degrees out.

5) Remove the hinge pin by pressing it out from one end.

6) Remove the tipout tray from the door insert.

7) Scarify the broken hinge point and clean it really well with denatured alcohol so epoxy has a chance to bond to it.

8) Mix up some plastic epoxy and apply a ball to the broken point. I used Marine/Plastic 10 minute 2 part epoxy. Don't worry too much about perfection, worry about bonding. It'll get formed to shape later.

9) Stay hydrated while you're waiting for the epoxy to harden.

10) Remove the latch assembly by pulling back the tab at the hub on the inside while you're pulling the assembly away from the body from the other side. This'll make it easier to test the fit and adjust.

11) Shape the epoxy ball into something that'll let the tray tip in and out but leaving as much mass as you can. Mass is strength, in this case.

12) Now it gets tricky. A hinge pin hole needs to be drilled into the new epoxy exactly where the old, broken hole was. I eyeballed it using a 5/64" drill bit, turned with my fingers to start then finished with a very slow drill and a gentle touch.

13) Drop the spring back into the saddle on the body, place the tray where it needs to be, and stuff in the hinge pin. Set the pin by squeezing it in with a set of pliers.

14) The Moment of Truth. Here's where you put stress on that fresh epoxy for the first time, by pivoting the tray into the body and getting it past the retention tab.

15) Pop the latch assembly back in place, slide the faceplate back onto the tray and lock it down with the clamp washers, and reinstall it on your door panel. You're done!

Method B: Buy a used ashtray assembly from Ebay. But where's the fun in that???

Last edited by rapidoxidation; 02-01-2016 at 10:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NewShockerGuy (11-30-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts
W205 C300, W212 E350, Q50
Very nice. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Thanks. Mine is broken too and I may give this a try.

John
Old 02-13-2022, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E350
Smile 2005 REAR DOOR ASHTRAY REPAIR

Congratulations on producing a really helpful maintenance guide. I was devastated that my wife failed to appreciate the need to keep me suitably 'hydrated', but otherwise my repair was completed just as you outline. I am the new owner of a 12 year old W211 and I am encouraged to see that there is very good advice to be had through this forum.
Kind regards, Ian
Old 02-27-2022, 12:49 PM

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Nice write up on the repair ! I just carefully siliconed both of the rear door ashtrays shut as used working units were too expensive.