E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

First mechanical failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
First mechanical failure

While sitting in my office parking lot this morning doing some paperwork the car began to shake, but not like an engine shudder. It started at the front and stopped. It wasn't a violent shaking. It started again and worked it's way to the back. It reminded me of an earthquake. It was the same sensation. It lasted a few seconds, stopped and started again briefly and stopped.

So I am looking around, everywhere accept my dash board. I finally look at the gauge cluster and my battery light indicator is on. My first thought was did I just lose the alternator? I went to move the car and there is no power steering. Now I know I lost the belt.

Looked under the hood and the belt is off and shredding at the edges.

Drove it to my mechanic who is down the road and I lost two idler Pulley's. One snapped off, one melted off and the belt is shredded.

I am fortunate it happened so close to my mechanic and not while I was in Manhattan last night. By the time I got it to the mechanic the temp was going up and it's not a far ride.

Idler pulley's are a real PIA. I have had to replace them at some point on pretty much every vehicle I currently own. So annoying.

I will say this, losing a pulley on a Mercedes is a much more pleasurable experience than losing one on a Ford e-350 which sounded like a bomb going off under the hood and pulley landed flat on the A frame.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
While sitting in my office parking lot this morning doing some paperwork the car began to shake, but not like an engine shudder. It started at the front and stopped. It wasn't a violent shaking. It started again and worked it's way to the back. It reminded me of an earthquake. It was the same sensation. It lasted a few seconds, stopped and started again briefly and stopped.

So I am looking around, everywhere accept my dash board. I finally look at the gauge cluster and my battery light indicator is on. My first thought was did I just lose the alternator? I went to move the car and there is no power steering. Now I know I lost the belt.

Looked under the hood and the belt is off and shredding at the edges.

Drove it to my mechanic who is down the road and I lost two idler Pulley's. One snapped off, one melted off and the belt is shredded.

I am fortunate it happened so close to my mechanic and not while I was in Manhattan last night. By the time I got it to the mechanic the temp was going up and it's not a far ride.

Idler pulley's are a real PIA. I have had to replace them at some point on pretty much every vehicle I currently own. So annoying.

I will say this, losing a pulley on a Mercedes is a much more pleasurable experience than losing one on a Ford e-350 which sounded like a bomb going off under the hood and pulley landed flat on the A frame.
Did you check your tension-er as well??? That screaming noise when your car use to run was it's way of saying, hey i'm a pulley, change me i'm noisy.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by cmriv
Did you check your tension-er as well??? That screaming noise when your car use to run was it's way of saying, hey i'm a pulley, change me i'm noisy.
There was no noise.

Yes, had a new belt tensioner installed as well.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
There was no noise.

Yes, had a new belt tensioner installed as well.