E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Breaks squealing in reverse?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E550
Breaks squealing in reverse?

Hi my breaks squeal in the morning when going in reverse and breaking. The sound is very loud and really makes me wonder why its happening. It also sometimes happens during the day after I've driven it for a while when I try to reverse. I think it has something to do with tension built up in park to reverse or something, because when it moves faster in drive (without pressing the gas) and I try to break, the sound is very loud. I hope you guys know what I'm talking about, its kind of hard to explain. So my mechanic says the breaks and rotors are fine and he doesn't know why this is happening. Honestly it seems pretty strange that a mechanic doesn't know what is wrong but do you guys have any idea as to why this is happening? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Do yourself a huge favor-----simply google---"What causes brakes to squeel" you will be amazed what you will learn!!

PS: Have you mechanic watch the vids with you!!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
When we know general principals what can make brakes squeal, often the real reasons are very hard to figure out.
Everybody is advising putting silencing paste and where to apply it is whole science.
For last 10 years I am putting all the pads with no silencers and have no squeals.
I just make sure everything is clean and in CA we don't have rust issues.
What pads you have? Often changing pads makes the solution and I just took off MB pads with 50% wear to put dustless Akebonos.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
+1 for Akebono. Shop around for these, I've seen a pretty wide spread in pricing.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by kajtek1
When we know general principals what can make brakes squeal, often the real reasons are very hard to figure out.
Everybody is advising putting silencing paste and where to apply it is whole science.
For last 10 years I am putting all the pads with no silencers and have no squeals.
I just make sure everything is clean and in CA we don't have rust issues.
What pads you have? Often changing pads makes the solution and I just took off MB pads with 50% wear to put dustless Akebonos.
After I got my car, I installed OEM brake pads, and they immediately started making noise when brakes were applied. I had the car checked by 2 mechanics and they could not figure it out. I decided to replace the pads with a new OEM set, but the problem continued. So, I decided to ignore it. I was also wanting to get dust free pads, so the recommendation was to go with the Akebonos. Once I had those installed the dust went away and the noise went away. I'm all for the Akebonos! They solved my problem.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Stuttgarten
After I got my car, I installed OEM brake pads, and they immediately started making noise when brakes were applied. I had the car checked by 2 mechanics and they could not figure it out. I decided to replace the pads with a new OEM set, but the problem continued. So, I decided to ignore it. I was also wanting to get dust free pads, so the recommendation was to go with the Akebonos. Once I had those installed the dust went away and the noise went away. I'm all for the Akebonos! They solved my problem.
I recall you had some rotor flaws Al ?
Do you still have the same rotors and Akebono gave smooth braking?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by Stuttgarten
These guys are two less learned peas in a pod, can you imagine a statement like "the dust went away" here we go again non ware brake pads-get serious we like most BW daters dident fall off the water mellon truck yesterday--you both need to study up on brake pad formulations!!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:32 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I recall you had some rotor flaws Al ?
Do you still have the same rotors and Akebono gave smooth braking?
It turned out to be a problem with pads. Rotors are the same and the noise has disappeared. I swear by the Akebonos
Old 02-12-2016, 04:41 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by Plutoe
These guys are two less learned peas in a pod, can you imagine a statement like "the dust went away" here we go again non ware brake pads-get serious we like most BW daters dident fall off the water mellon truck yesterday--you both need to study up on brake pad formulations!!
You rat head, you need to tone it down, man! This is not your mom's corner store. Do you get a kick out of thinking you're ridiculing people. Everybody has their own unique experience with their cars, and all they're doing is sharing it with other forum members. If you don't like something somebody wrote, just shut up! If I wrote Akebono pads took care of my noise problem, who do you think you are to say otherwise. Leave that bottle alone, drinking and writing on the forum is toxic for your corpus callosum, it makes you sound like a third grader! Go learn some proper English first. Get a life guy!

Last edited by Stuttgarten; 02-12-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think teenagers can buy bottle in Florida.
On the other hand, nobody ask for ID while selling drugs
Old 02-13-2016, 01:35 AM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
It is true that Akebonos give pretty smooth braking while also releasing less brake dust but I guarantee you that it does not have the same stopping power as OEM pads. I could immediately tell the difference when I switched from OEM. Also if your mechanic cannot diagnose a simple brake squeal problem I don't think you should keep going to him anymore!
Old 02-13-2016, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
Just find a brand of rotors and pads and stick with that. It's pretty simple.

Different vehicles, different weights, different size brakes . . . you can get a very different experience with the same brand on two different vehicles.

Funny enough, even a heavy coat of calliper paint can reduce squeal . . . because it dampens the ringing on casting.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
It is true that Akebonos give pretty smooth braking while also releasing less brake dust but I guarantee you that it does not have the same stopping power as OEM pads. I could immediately tell the difference when I switched from OEM. Also if your mechanic cannot diagnose a simple brake squeal problem I don't think you should keep going to him anymore!
I did not notice any difference and put Akebonos on 2 of MB. Still can lock the wheels and give BAS some workout.
One member some time ago claim to measure the difference and he come with 3% difference. I am skeptic about the number as those tests have big margin errors - bigger than 3%.
Anyway, if I can lock the wheels any time I want, the brakes are good for me.
Just 3 days ago we had panic stop on freeway, when the car in front of me turn into the shoulder in fear of rear ending guy in front, the car behind me went on the shoulder as well, when my wagon stop in straight line with space to spare.

Last edited by kajtek1; 02-13-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
The 'bite' from OEM pads just felt stronger IMO but the Akebonos are miles cheaper and still provide great stopping power so they're ey-oh-kay in my book.
The following users liked this post:
hhegedus (02-20-2020)