Cheap fix for Gas Cap error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500 Sport
Lightbulb Cheap fix for Gas Cap error

Hello everyone,

So about 2 weeks ago i keep getting error to check the Gas cap and the fuel symbol on the dash keeps flashing - I check on the gas cap and it does not show something wrong with it - i removed and re-tighten the gas cap and reset computer (i always have OBD connected on my W211 via bluetooth and can always clear the code on the fly). after a few miles of driving the gas symbol start to flash again and i get error to check the gas cap.. pull over and remove the gas cap and this time i look at the gasket and it looks like it is kinna squish.. so i went to place an order for the gas cap from amazon, upon checking on the seal again on the old gas cap it has a gap between that you can wedge something to it, so i decided to put a hair tie on it (was looking for a round rubber band seal but could not find one), after installation of the hair tie i reset the computer again and its has been 1 week now and still have not gotten any error on check gas cap.. i will update again in 1 week if i get the error.. i have attached the picture of the hair tie i used.. I will take a picture of the seal with the hair tie installed when i get the chance.. hope this help everyone..
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
I wouldn't expect that hair tie to hold up to gasoline/vapor, but it's a quick temporary fix until you can get a proper gas cap for $10 at your local auto parts store...
The following users liked this post:
Pinoi Ryder (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:17 PM

2003 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
I wouldn't expect that hair tie to hold up to gasoline/vapor, but it's a quick temporary fix until you can get a proper gas cap for $10 at your local auto parts store...
actually the inside of the hair tie is made of rubber.. the original seal is still on it.. i just inserted the hair tie in between the wedges of the seal.. the purpose of the hair tie is to expand the seal for proper fitment to avoid pressure leakage which causes the loose gas cap error.. of course replacing the gas cap is the proper way to fix the issue..

Last edited by Pinoi Ryder; 04-25-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:42 PM

2003 E500 Sport
update: todays date 05-22-2016: still no error ever since i have put on the the hair tie in between the gas gasket