E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

OEM iPod integration question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W219 CLS63
OEM iPod integration question.

Hey! Long time MBWorld member but I've never been around to the W211 forum. Got a 2008 E320 BlueTec about a year back but I didnt have anything to contribute till now.

So, Ive read a lot about the oem ipod integration not being able to power newer ipods/iPhones because of the difference in voltage. However I have also read that they won't be able to allow steering wheel control either because of the way the wires are set up.

Now, obviously its 2016 and no one uses old ipods anymore, so I went and bought an Auris Skye for the car. Turns out that the device was made for the "newer" ipods that supported 5v charging so I went and got an adapter to have that sorted out.

NOW my issue is that I dont have any playback controls from my steering wheel even though music still plays.

I originally had a Tune2Air Bluetooth dongle that connected directly into the iPod wire. But that (somehow) got lost...
So I decided I'd try and switch things up and get something that would give me the best possible sound quality through a wireless medium. And although I can say the Auris is absolutely amazing in terms of sound quality. The last bit that would really put the bow on top would be to have steering wheel controls like I used to get from the Tune2Air unit.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but isn't there an OEM replacement cable for the iPod wire to switch over to the "new" iPod voltage/wire setup? Would this fix my problem?

Thanks!

Last edited by AmmarYasirA; 04-30-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
It would probably help if you mentioned what year your car was. I still use an old 4th gen ipod touch. I just leave it in the glove box. I had to use an adapter for the voltage, but the steering wheel controls still work on it. I believe MB did make a new cable that you might be able to buy on ebay that will work with newer ipods. Works great, I just use spotify and I sync it with wifi whenever I modify my playlists. 4th gen ipods are so cheap, you can probably get them for $50-$100, at one point I found a guy selling them for $30 so I picked up a couple as spares, use at the gym and to put in another car.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E500
The year of his MB is in the very first sentence. 2008.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W219 CLS63
PROBLEM SOLVED : Contacted Auris and it turns out that the device itself doesn't even have playback control functionality. :/

Now Im curious to see if I could code that into the device... Hmmmmm.