E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Pano Roof sounds awful

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W219 CLS63
Pano Roof sounds awful

So I've been looking around, and I didn't wanna start working on my roof until I knew exactly what the issue was with.

I got into my car tonight for a quick drive, tilted the sunroof and when I got home and tried to close it, it made THE most awful sound. Almost sounded like something got stuck in it, but I didnt drive around underneath any trees or heard anything get into the rails or anything.

Looked around to see If I could specify the issue but I didnt see anything that sounded close to what I was having until I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=eE4iyTw1Jw8

It is the EXACT sound Im getting from my pano roof
Really don't feel like dishing out money to have someone fix it. But if it's a job thats very complicated, or is too delicate, I really don't think Id wanna risk it.
Otherwise, bring it on. Itll give me a good excuse to have the roof properly polished and cleaned up. And considering I may have to take off the headliner? (Right??) Itd be the perfect time to have some custom sound-proofing done.

Thanks yall.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 117 Likes on 77 Posts
2008 R320 CDI, 1987 560SL
You need to re-sync your roof. Search around for it. There's a procedure that includes re-syncing windows.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:23 AM

W219 CLS63
Update: had the battery out for a bit and somehow (magically) the shade portion of the pano roof closed, when I moved it back out again, and tried closing it again, it started making the noise alllll over again. I tried resetting the windows and stuff as mentioned with no luck. Anyone got any other ideas?
Old 07-09-2016, 06:05 PM

W219 CLS63
For anyone with their roof stuck open, there is a manual way to close the roof if nothing else is working:

There is a small plastic piece next to the left reading light (next to the buttons that open/close the roof) that you can push which opens up to a hex bolt. You can manually screw the roof (clockwise) closed until you get around to fixing the problem. It's tough to close but useful for dire moments.

The plastic piece needs to pushed on either edge to get open, dont pry at it. It's easy to open and easy to close.
Attached Thumbnails Pano Roof sounds awful-photo259.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
that noise you are hearing is the cables in the pano roof cassette, they are stripped. Wouldn't consider this a simplistic job, at all.

Soon though, you wont even be able to move your pano. one side will tilt up and that's it....

re-syncing does not fix noise....