E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bad CPS, MAF or something else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350
Bad CPS, MAF or something else?

Car is a 2007 E350 with 102K miles. I purchased this car about 8 months ago, and have only put on about 1-2K miles, but drive it daily. I have not had any work done yet.

Symptoms:
  1. Couple of times a week, the car will not start when turning the key, does not even crank the engine; seems to happen often when I go through POS 1 too quickly, seems to work more consistently if I let all systems turn on before cranking the engine. The car has always started eventually with 10 seconds.
  2. This is the more concerning issue, engine will suddenly stall while sitting idle. This has not happened while after driving, and has only occurred when letting engine warm up after a cold start. Typically happens within a few minutes of start, but starts right up afterwards.

I thought it was a fuel filter, but searching the forums seems like #2 is more commonly caused by CPS or MAF failure. Any opinion on if the 2 issues are related? Apparently CPS and MAF are relatively easy to replace, but would probably take it to mechanic for fuel filter.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
First check the forum for recall on fuel tanks.
Chances are you will get new fuel filter with new tank for no charge.
When the car does not crank, observe voltage. If the battery is marginal - the computer will not proceed with starting procedure.
CPS fails first on hot engine while working fine cold, MAF would trigger codes and CEL.
Did you check the codes?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350
Brought it into my mechanic for an oil change and described the issues above. He was unable to find any issue and no codes were thrown.

Called the local dealer and there is a recall on the fuel tank, but will only replace if it exhibits the symptoms allowed, which he would not share. I recall previous threads that said it would only be replaced if you smelled fuel, not for performance issues. Will have to investigate.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Once again - investigation is already done.
All you have to do is read the appropriate topic.
Served on silver plate.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
KongMan: You "took" your car to the dealer ... he "brought" it back to you. Big difference.

But seriously: take your car to a dealer and tell the order-writer that your garage seems to be filled with gasoline vapors when you fill the tank and park the car overnight and that you smell gasoline inside the car. MB has cleared the way to have the necessary repairs performed at no cost to the owner ... including a replacement tank, when appropriate. Don't tell the writer that you heard they're giving away free tanks and that you want one ... that dog won't hunt. Stick to the "strong and distinct odor of gasoline filling the garage and the car" line.