E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear Window Shade (F020) Fuse blows every time I look at it. Please help me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E500 AMG Appearance Pkg
Rear Window Shade (F020) Fuse blows every time I look at it. Please help me

Fuse 20 Rear Window Shade keeps blowing out. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I read on another forum that it could be a short - I don't know how to find or locate one. Anyone have a suggestion?

I have headrests, pillar posts, and seats removed (most frustrating thing I've had to do all year) and now fuse is killing me slowly..

plz help.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
ya gotta know how electricity works to find a short. Youtube has tons of videos that give you the basics.
Here's one:
Old 08-20-2016, 07:16 PM

Thank you for replying. I have the shade working again just putting everything back together. Was not a short after all but watched the video anyway lol, have a feeling I will need to know more sooner or later
Old 08-21-2016, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by efonz
Thank you for replying. I have the shade working again just putting everything back together. Was not a short after all but watched the video anyway lol, have a feeling I will need to know more sooner or later
So...... What was the problem?
Old 08-21-2016, 03:13 AM

Problem:
Rear window shade died while deployed so I couldnt really see anything at night via rear view. I checked the fuse and it was ok, so as others have mentioned, I noticed the shaft coming out of the backside of the motor (approx 3/4inch) but couldnt get it to retract. I removed the rear seats, headrests, & pillar posts in order to remove shade and see about fixing it. After messing with the shade (mostly the tension) and cutting a washer into a C shape so that the shaft wouldnt get stuck when deployed I am pretty certian I finally had working but after so much disassembly etc I broke off one of the motor posts. I did what I could to make a solid connection and checked for continuity and seemed ok but when i hooked it up and turn the car on battery had drained to the point of no convenience functions avaliable. so at that point i was over trying to salvage my original shade and found a super deal on ebay for OEM shade ($79 free shipping). That was 7 days ago. So last night before i plugged in the ebay shade, I plugged in my original shade just to see if it worked: no success. I checked the fuse, it was blown. So i figuered maybe I overlooked it or when battery drained fuse went out or something so I replaced it. I tried my original shade once more = no good then totally confident that the ebay shade was good i plug it in and nothing so I check fuse again and its blown so I panic and then someone mentions a short, I panic and asked for help.

My original shade was blowing the fuse every time I tried to get it going, since a week had passed in between breaking the post and ebay shipment, I forgot I had tried to wire it using pseudo science. all i could think at moment was 3 blown fuses in total wth.

If anyone is looking to get a used rear window shade on ebay in working condition I bought mine from daddysautoparts2 for $79, every one else had them for +$225
Old 08-21-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
sub