E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

4matic Inner CV Axle Removal Tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E350 4matic
4matic Inner CV Axle Removal Tools

Love this site. It is loaded so much helpful information.

I recently changed my springs, shocks, and front axle. One item that was not clear to me when searching for how-to's were tools required to replace the cv axles. Particularly removing the inner axle. So, I thought I would share what I learned to make the job of axle removal so much faster...trust me

Supporting joint / knuckle: To remove the spindle from the supporting joint / knuckle, use a Ball Joint Separator to remove supporting joint / knuckle. I purchased one from Harbor Freight. When reassembling, make sure to place a hex wrench in the bolt end to secure the supporting joint while tightening hexagon nut when reattaching. It will just spin if you don't.

Drivers side inner axle removal: Requires removing outer and inner boots with axle and leaving inner bell cylinder in place. Use a slide hammer attached to locking pliers. There are plenty of Youtube videos demonstrating how to do this. If you don't have a slide hammer, do what I did and and take an inexpensive but very effective route. Attach a wire cable to locking pliers. Double the wire cable to increase strength. Length of about 3ft long will work. The other end of the cable was looped over the handle of a heavy hammer. The wire was secured on both ends with wire ferrules. Once pliers are securely connected to the inner cylinder, take a hard swing or two with the hammer (away from cylinder and car) and the cylinder disengages very easily. Took me two swings because I was afraid of breaking the wire but would have only taken one hard swing otherwise. There was really no chance the wire would have broken. Be careful to avoid brake lines and ABS cable.

Hope this helps someone avoid time consuming fruitless effort trying something that will not work like attempting to pry loose the inner axle. Just doesn't work. The snap ring has it very securely locked in place.
Attached Thumbnails 4matic Inner CV Axle Removal Tools-2016-09-19-12.55.23.jpg   4matic Inner CV Axle Removal Tools-2016-09-19-12.03.26.jpg   4matic Inner CV Axle Removal Tools-2016-09-19-12.04.05.jpg   4matic Inner CV Axle Removal Tools-2016-09-19-12.10.18.jpg  
Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E350 4matic
Also, my old girl is sitting and riding nice.
Attached Thumbnails 4matic Inner CV Axle Removal Tools-2016-03-08-17.01.32.jpg